You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rodgers Out

Red22

Brilliant, it's like the rage from some of the TARTs on here.

Yes because wanting Rodgers out is the same as wanting a two time La Liga & one time Uefa Cup winning manager out.

I don't want him out, only because I have no confidence in these dickheads to appoint anyone better.

Just pointing out the absurdity of your comparison.

He's got to the end of the season as far as I'm concerned. Yes, the owners have a lot to be challenged on but Rodgers is the one who came in with his revolution and 'introduction ' of a passing game (WTF?).

Last time I witnessed a similar revolution was under souness and we all know how that worked out. I'm not convinced by sturridge and don't believe the club has a realistic chance of signing walcott. I think the manager's public comments about sterlings contract talks will bite him on the arse.

Frankly, I'm neither impressed with his ability or tactics.

Fair comment.

All managers are judged upon results ,and many a good manager has gone in under a season. My view is that Rodgers will do enough to roll the dice again.

I think there's always been a block at this club in realising how big we actually are. etc.......................

A thought provoking post in full.

I agree that we failed to capitalise on our late 70s and 80s euro and league dominance commercially.

I think that you overstate our commercial position alongside Man U, Barca and Real Madrid. Historically, undoubtedly. But as you yourself point out the shirts being bought in Nigeria and Ecuador are Man City with Tevez on the back, not Liverpool and Downing.

The commercial equation is simple. If you are in the CL and appear on worldwide TV in the games that count, and progress, you get a shed load of sponsorship. If you are not, you don’t. The Standard Chartered deal represented our historic position. The Warrior shirt deal a punt which Nike and Adidas thought too rich. Both sponsorships are driven by how often we appear on TV, and in front of what size TV audience.

Sentiment does not come into it.

I hope so, but I dont think FSG will be so easy to pin down. They paid the debt off, and so that's already a big positive, whereas G and H just fucked us from the off..........etc.

A good post in full Funneeee apart from a wayward assessment of Rafa’s departure.

Purslow and FSG wanted Rafa - which is why they gave him a new five year contract on very generous terms. FSG were on their way out, all Rafa needed to do was keep his head down and concentrate on the football, but instead he couldn’t help himself, and loved a pit of wholly unnecessary Boardroom game playing. He let himself, the club, and the fans down by so doing. Purslow also could have bitten the bullet, but it takes two to tango.

A good post in full Funneeee apart from a wayward assessment of Rafa’s departure.

Purslow and FSG wanted Rafa - which is why they gave him a new five year contract on very generous terms. FSG were on their way out, all Rafa needed to do was keep his head down and concentrate on the football, but instead he couldn’t help himself, and loved a pit of wholly unnecessary Boardroom game playing. He let himself, the club, and the fans down by so doing. Purslow also could have bitten the bullet, but it takes two to tango.

Not sure if you have put FSG instead of H&G but assuming you have this is exactly how I read Rafa's demise. If he had kept his mouth shut for six more months he would have been in the clear and would still be our manager today. But he didn't and the rest is history. Didn't do himself any favours either.

Purslow and FSG wanted Rafa - which is why they gave him a new five year contract on very generous terms. FSG were on their way out, all Rafa needed to do was keep his head down and concentrate on the football, but instead he couldn’t help himself, and loved a pit of wholly unnecessary Boardroom game playing.

Derp. You been on the sauce?

You don't know the terms of that contract. A 5 year contract with any transfer funds going towards paying off the interest on those massive debts we had. At what point in 2009 did H&G indicate they were on their way out?

Rafa was focused on coaching his team whilst his bosses were publicly courting Klinsmann, remember?

You are full of wrong, Xerxes.

Derp. You been on the sauce?

You don't know the terms of that contract. A 5 year contract with any transfer funds going towards paying off the interest on those massive debts we had. At what point in 2009 did H&G indicate they were on their way out?

Rafa was focused on coaching his team whilst his bosses were publicly courting Klinsmann, remember?

You are full of wrong, Xerxes.

During 2009 H&G were under severe pressure from RBS and other banks, it was all over the press and internet. It was clear that they were on their way out as soon as a buyer could be found. That they behaved in a piss poor way is not in doubt and you are probably right that the interest payments were going to cut in transfer funds. But IMO Rafa should have maintained his composure, focussed on the football and sat it out. He didn't and got burned.

Coro, you don’t know what you are talking about , as usual.

Purslow had been actively involved in seeking new investment to bail out G&H from their parlous position with RBS since the Christmas before Rafa signed his new contract. The fragility of their tenure is a matter of record. I don’t think you have been following things very closely, have you?

Rafa freely entered into a new five year contract, knowing G&H’s previous. They offered him a new contract because it made their life easier and protected their asset. If the terms of the contract had been breached in any respect he could have sued G&H for constructive dismissal, as Curbishley successfully did at west ham. He didn’t.

Broughton arrived explicitly to sell the club in April 2010. But still Rafa continued his kamikaze feud with Purslow. Broughton memorably said that he had never seen a more blatant case of an employee trying to get themself sacked.

I hope that helps.

Purslow had been actively involved in seeking new investment to bail out G&H from their parlous position with RBS since the Christmas before Rafa signed his new contract. The fragility of their tenure is a matter of record. I don’t think you have been following things very closely, have you?

Rafa freely entered into a new five year contract, knowing G&H’s previous. They offered him a new contract because it made their life easier and protected their asset. If the terms of the contract had been breached in any respect he could have sued G&H for constructive dismissal, as Curbishley successfully did at west ham. He didn’t.

Broughton arrived explicitly to sell the club in April 2010. But still Rafa continued his kamikaze feud with Purslow. Broughton memorably said that he had never seen a more blatant case of an employee trying to get themself sacked.

I hope that helps.

You don't know the terms of the contract. Only the parties involved do, obviously.

Of course the 'fragility of their tenure' is a matter of record but at what point did H&G indicate they were on their way out?

During 2009 H&G were under severe pressure from RBS and other banks, it was all over the press and internet. It was clear that they were on their way out as soon as a buyer could be found. That they behaved in a piss poor way is not in doubt and you are probably right that the interest payments were going to cut in transfer funds. But IMO Rafa should have maintained his composure, focussed on the football and sat it out. He didn't and got burned.

H&G were still actively looking for new investment right up until October of 2010.

It wasn't clear to anyone on the outside looking in what would happen.

Benitez had been in a battle with the owners since 2007. How do we judge a manager's behaviour when his bosses are not fit for purpose?

H&G were still actively looking for new investment right up until October of 2010.

It wasn't clear to anyone on the outside looking in what would happen.

Benitez had been in a battle with the owners since 2007. How do we judge a manager's behaviour when his bosses are not fit for purpose?

H&G were looking for investment right up to the end but my view was that they were never going to get the funds they needed and retain overall control of the club. Why would someone give them that level of funding without a mandate over how it was used?

You are right that the gloss wore off the relationship very quickly but I suspect that Rafa was a very demanding manager to work with. That said he did have a lot of work to do based on the squad he inherited. IMO he should have kept those issues behind closed doors as ultimately I felt that it started to affect the players which should never have happened.

I remember hearing an interview with Werner on 5Live a few months back.

That 5 Live gal did it. Juliette somebody???

Werner prefaced every answer he gave her with the line "I don't wanna".

My alarm bell has been ringing ever since.

We are being milked.

Werner comes from a US TV industry where they routinely announce new shows, boast about how much they've invested in them, how thrilled they are to be launching them, and then they cancel them before they reach the screen. In his own hype-addled mind he probably doesn't even realise what a duplicitous little cunt he really is. But he's like Hicks with brains, and that's not a good thing.

H&G were looking for investment right up to the end but my view was that they were never going to get the funds they needed and retain overall control of the club. Why would someone give them that level of funding without a mandate over how it was used?

You are right that the gloss wore off the relationship very quickly but I suspect that Rafa was a very demanding manager to work with. That said he did have a lot of work to do based on the squad he inherited. IMO he should have kept those issues behind closed doors as ultimately I felt that it started to affect the players which should never have happened.

Hindsight's a wonderful thing and people like Xerxes will oversimplify in order to continue the pantomime they've got going in their head.

It's clear Benitez was working in very difficult circumstances for people who were doing damage to the club. It should be a lesson for us supporters on how we should view the managers position differently. It's a role that has become increasingly marginalised, now used as a buffer to protect the moneymen when ideally it should be the other way around. Every manager needs margin for error but it's been virtually none existent for the last 4 occupants.

I hope that helps.

The fact that Rafa was openly fighting with Purslow on a regular basis actually adds to his appeal, to me. It would have been so easy to just sit back and let Hicks & Gillett drag the club to the edge of the cliff, all the while making money from it and keeping his mouth shut. The fact that he had the bollocks to see what they were doing, particularly Purslow who was much better at hiding the way he was destroying the club than H & G, and call them on it greatly improves Rafa's image in my mind.

The fact that Rafa was openly fighting with Purslow on a regular basis actually adds to his appeal, to me. It would have been so easy to just sit back and let Hicks & Gillett drag the club to the edge of the cliff, all the while making money from it and keeping his mouth shut. The fact that he had the bollocks to see what they were doing, particularly Purslow who was much better at hiding the way he was destroying the club than H & G, and call them on it greatly improves Rafa's image in my mind.

He was fighting purslow because he wanted more money to buy players to do his job better, nothing wrong with that but if he was given more money and that money was causing further debt he wouldn't of give two fucks. He never fought for the clubs safety that was a by product of him wanting to build a team. I don't knock Rafa for that but I'm not niave to believe he was some kind of freedom fighter unselfishly risking his neck because the owners were playing risks with the club, they were hindering his career that's all.

The fact that Rafa was openly fighting with Purslow on a regular basis actually adds to his appeal' date=' to me. It would have been so easy to just sit back and let Hicks & Gillett drag the club to the edge of the cliff, all the while making money from it and keeping his mouth shut. The fact that he had the bollocks to see what they were doing, particularly Purslow who was much better at hiding the way he was destroying the club than H & G, and call them on it greatly improves Rafa's image in my mind.[/quote']

Do you point at aeroplanes?

I hope so' date=' but I dont think FSG will be so easy to pin down. They paid the debt off, and so that's already a big positive, whereas G and H just fucked us from the off.

I'd love to blame them, but unfortunately the small matter of ££££'s for Downing, Henderson, Carroll, just cannot be ignored. They 'thought' they were freeing the money up to the right people, for the right players. They obviously didnt look at the players themselves, and in a way I want that to always be the case, it should be the manager who brings in players, not the owners. But they will feel burned for allowing Kenny to do just that, and then THEY get all the stick for it because Kenny's judgement was awful. How is that FSG's fault?

I'd love it to be their fault, but it just isn't.

[/quote']

here we go again...I'm sick to death of hearing about how fuckin bad henderson downing and carroll are. the currant manager seems to want use h and d, and if he had any snce, carroll would still b in the squad too. the fact is there are TWO sides to e ery player. liverpool played the 11-12 season with ONE team. the same players that started the season, finished it (with the exception of lucas) and in the 1st half we were well on the money, and competitive, right upto the lucas injury. so there was nothing wrong with henderson downing and co; they were on the squad and made their contributions.

lets face the truth here: rodgers tactics are shit, and we're getting murdered because of it. no magical striker will materialise and be the difference next month no matter how much we pay. the tactics simply arent working, and we have no plan b. the fact is, that there r at least 6 or 7 premier league managers who r head and shoulders above ours. he's nothin special and is unwilling to learn. the team is goinv backwards, not forwards.

But you're not telling the whole story there. He didnt just replace those players with players from the youth team and £4m buys from Blackburn Rovers. He went out and spent £15m on Meireles' replacement, £20m on a winger to replace the Maxi/Kuyt. Both who contributed nowhere near as much as the players they replaced. Thats why I omitted them. So the players he used had a half decent start to last season and shocking end to it.

He didnt use a same group of players for a calendar year. That is your argument and to say he did is a bit misleading.

On top of that, Rodgers had to deal with those two big money flops aswell as another abomination of a signing in Carroll. Thats not even mentioning the owners tightening their purse strings after the previous years spending. He's come into a club that is stuck in midtable and is not being given a fair crack of the whip by some people who are expecting miracles.

The following players were inherited by Rodgers, and were regulars and played well either in the second half of 2010/11, or in the first half of 2011/12:

Reina

Agger

Skrtel

Johnson

Enrique

Kelly

Lucas

Spearing

Adam

Suarez

Plus he had Gerrard, Shelvey, Sterling and Suso to bring in as attacking options, plus the other squad players that he could try and use.

That's a good squad, composed of players that are used to playing pass and move football and have shown top-four form over at least half a season, before Rodgers added to it with his summer transfer budget.

Kenny managed to turn things around very quickly when he took over mid-season from a manager that played a negative long-ball game, inheriting a squad that contained some complete cackers. He had us playing good football and winning games consistently within a couple of months, without the benefit of a whole summer to prepare his squad. He wasn't hamstrung by Hodgson's legacy, so I don't see why Rodgers should be hamstrung by his, not when the two styles of football are a lot closer in essence.

Although, to be fair, you're giving him a chance, others arent and its annoying.

I'm more than giving him a chance Robbie, I'm fully supportive of him and have been since he was appointed. I'm not thrilled by some of the things he's said to the media, but on the pitch I've got no complaints about him. I think we're playing well generally, we just lack a clinical finisher like we did last season. The only reason we're not in the top four right now is because FSG dicked Rodgers around in the summer over transfers.

That's why this drive to blame Kenny for our results this season isn't just a cunt's trick, it's completely unnecessary. It's looking for an answer to a problem that doesn't exist.