You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January Transfer window 2012

Megadrive Man

Again, you're just not getting it. Will competing in the top echelons of European football make it harder for us to get players or easier? Will the many tens of millions that come with making it into that competition make it harder or easier to pay for players?

I'm getting it, not sure you do though in your made up reality, let me ask again, what players did we attract because we were playing in the CL as opposed to those we would not if we were not?

Nobody said anything about winning it (although, if you don't think winning the European cup, and also reaching another final a couple of seasons later, is a draw to a player, then you're fucking nuts), but do you honestly think Alonso, Torres, Agger, Reina, Mascherano, et al., would have joined us if we weren't in the Champions League? Do you think they'd have joined for Carling Cup glory?

So we dont need to win it, just be in it and get knocked out in the group stage then or how does it work?

We had not won it for years when Alonso joined, Reina would probably have joined as he decided to join before we won it, Agger would have joined, Mascherano joined West Ham etc.

What about the players that did not join when we were in it? How does your sunshine theory explain those?

If players see that we can win the Carling Cup beating City and Chelsea in the process, if we can beat the mancs in the FA Cup etc and who knows where will end up in the FA Cup this year, they will understand that we have the potential and they might se themselves as the missing piece in the puzzle.

Oh, and for your information regarding the players you mentioned, Kuyt and Pennant didn't join the season after we won the European Cup. They joined the year after; the year we won the FA Cup. It's also important to note that who Rafa bought isn't the same as who we could attract or who we could afford.

Who said anything about specific seasons they joined, they joined after we had won the CL, thats what I said.

Would they have joined if we had a season out of the CL and looked like we were back to winning things instead of being a nearly team?

I'd say so, Meireles, Suarez, Carroll etc are all evidence of that, if we had spent our money differently and not tried to cut our wage total I think we easily could have got other players in as well, CL or not.

Whilst I still think we can attract players, when it comes to competing with other clubs, we've not got a major incentive. Why are you dismissing something so vitally important in a player's decision to join a club?

Because it really is not that important, there are far more important things than a season or two out of the CL as long as the club looks to be getting back to its winning ways, we have lost only 5 times season, no top club in England have lost less.

Why should they not join such a prestigous club on the up?

You see, this is the sort of nonsense that has made you a laughing-stock. What does Porto have to do with anything? The very fact you've had to stoop to choosing clubs from smaller leagues, rather than the clubs from the three main leagues, indicated how weak your argument is.

Laughing stock, me or you? You are the one banging the drum about the importance of CL, by bringing up Porto I simply show you that CL football is not the be all for a footballer, believe it or not?

There are greater more important values and we have all of them.

I'd say your dismissal of them are the only laughable thing here.

We need to be competing for the top talent against the likes of United, City, Madrid, Barca, Milan, Inter, Juve. If you think we're going to do that because we've won the Carling Cup, you've gone bonkers.

You mean City and the mancs who both went out of the group stage of the CL and we have just knocked out of successive domestic cups this week.

When did Real Madrid reach a CL final last time around, what about Juve, what about City etc.

If we are willing to pay what players cost in todays market we will get the players we want, if we are not we will struggle to get them, thats how it works CL or not.

Us winning the Carling Cup and maybe even the FA Cup will show that we are back as a force to be reckoned with and players will be able to get medals if they come to us.

If you think a player would be more happy with a half decent run in the CL than a winners medal from a domestic cup competition you are about as far off the mark its possible to be.

• Upvote 2

Code, I do accept the fact that you are mentally ill, so allow me to pare this argument right down to its purest essence for you

A player who is wanted by Liverpool in summer is, given the same wages and every other factor, going to be more attracted to us if:

1) we are the Carling cup holders, or

2) are playing in the Champions League

Choose one. Please do bear in mind that one of the options will simply confirm that you are a pitiful mental case.

Code, I do accept the fact that you are mentally ill, so allow me to pare this argument right down to its purest essence for you

A player who is wanted by Liverpool in summer is, given the same wages and every other factor, going to be more attracted to us if:

Choose one. Please do bear in mind that one of the options will simply confirm that you are a pitiful mental case.

How can every other factor be the same?

I like to deal with reality not dreamed up scenarios so please come up with an example.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

He has actually reached the stage where I'm considering not replying. For anybody who has witnessed the boring lengths I'm willing to go to in order to make a point, they'll know that's quite a thing.

He's quite clearly off his fucking rocker. Even those wanting to win the Carling Cup ahead of getting fourth can acknowledge the importance of that competition in attracting players. It's not everything, but it is important to offer top level competition. The best players want to play in the best com... ah, fuck it. It's too obvious.

Haven't Man City turned down numerous loan bids from sides outside of England for Tevez ? Haven't they also stated, categorically, that Tevez will not be allowed to leave the club on loan ? Aren't they wealthy enough to carry out the threat of just letting him fester until the summer ?

Yes, yes, and yes. Unfortunately transfer deadline day approaches, so silly season begins.

Tevez loan to us would be a classic bit of work by City. We still have to play United, Chelsea and Spurs so we stand help them win the title, if I was them and didn't want to play him it makes total sense to let us pay some of his wages and in all likelihood damage their rivals.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Examples of what? I've already given you a list. I'm not doing it twice. You started to blab on about CL finals, which was the point where I got really bored and couldn't be bothered. Nobody has mentioned the need to get to CL finals.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Is this the bit where you try to detract from your idiotic position by pretending you're the only one ever to play Sunday league football and attempt to convince everybody you're a footballing prodigy and have a unique view on football that nobody else is smart enough to comprehend? Save it, we've heard it all before.

Most top players want top level football, quite why this has come as such a shock to your system is unclear. Amusing, but unclear.

Guest ShoePiss
You wait till RedShadow comes along he's going to fuck shit up.

Redshadow is busy on twitter talking to his son...who is not on twitter.

Actually I've just looked at Redshadow's facebook page, his son 'Ryan' is wearing a utd kit and his ex wife/gf looks a lot like someone on here, I'm not saying who but I think everyone will get it right off the bat.

Is this the bit where you try to detract from your idiotic position by pretending you're the only one ever to play Sunday league football and attempt to convince everybody you're a footballing prodigy and have a unique view on football that nobody else is smart enough to comprehend? Save it, we've heard it all before.

Most top players want top level football, quite why this has come as such a shock to your system is unclear. Amusing, but unclear.

I'm not really discussing football related things with people who only have entered a spelling competition in their life.

But keep on living in your dreamed up reality, it seems to suit you just fine.

You really have no idea do you?

Let me help you on the way, how many times have Real Madrid gone past the first knock out stage of the CL the last 8 years, how many times have City done that etc

Do you think players pick clubs on the basis of 6-8 games played a season, well they dont.

I could also list loads of players who have gone to clubs outside the CL spots the last 5 years but I will not because you dont deal with reality, you deal with a made up fantasy, probably caused of too much CM or whatever those games are called these days.