You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January Transfer window 2012

Megadrive Man

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I disagree. I think being in the cl is very important for the top players. If we're in the cl it will be easier to attract the players we want. Not rocket science just plain old common sense.

But, unlike Code Almighty, you can't read the mind of every player in existence.

For example code suppose you are Paul konchesky. Liverpool and man city both want you but liverpool have not qualified for the cl. It's a short career so you would choose man city just like Paul konchesky would. that's just one example.

For example code suppose you are Paul konchesky. Liverpool and man city both want you but liverpool have not qualified for the cl. It's a short career so you would choose man city just like Paul konchesky would. that's just one example.

Sure, but if Liverpool were paying higher wages it wouldn't be that clear cut.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I think a better example is whether Hazard, Lucas or Hulk would chose us over City or Madrid or Chelsea, given that we weren't in the European Cup and haven't been for quite a while and look to be out of it for a while yet.

Top players want to play at the top level. Anybody who has ever competed for anything will tell you that.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Sure, but if Liverpool were paying higher wages it wouldn't be that clear cut.

Higher wages than Man City? Their cleaners are on 80k a week.

Lets take a look at a few players who have gone to clubs not in the CL the last few years.

Man City:

Vincent Kompany Hamburg £6,000,000 22 Aug, 2008

Robinho Real Madrid £32,500,000 01 Sep, 2008

Nigel de Jong Hamburg £18,000,000 21 Jan, 2009

Gareth Barry Aston Villa £12,000,000 01 Jul, 2009

Roque Santa Cruz Blackburn £17,500,000 01 Jul, 2009

Carlos Tevez Man Utd Signed 14 Jul, 2009

Emmanuel Adebayor Arsenal £25,000,000 19 Jul, 2009

Kolo Toure Arsenal £16,000,000 29 Jul, 2009

Joleon Lescott Everton £22,000,000 25 Aug, 2009

Patrick Vieira Inter Free 08 Jan, 2010

Adam Johnson Middlesbro £7,000,000 01 Feb, 2010

Jerome Boateng Hamburg £10,460,000 02 Jun, 2010

David Silva Valencia £26,000,000 30 Jun, 2010

Yaya Toure Barcelona £24,000,000 02 Jul, 2010

Mario Balotelli Inter £24,000,000 13 Aug, 2010

James Milner Aston Villa £26,000,000 18 Aug, 2010

Edin Dzeko Wolfsburg £27,000,000 07 Jan, 2011

Liverpool:

Joe Cole Chelsea Free 19 Jul, 2010

Raul Meireles Porto £11,500,000 28 Aug, 2010

Luis Suarez Ajax £22,800,000 31 Jan, 2011

Andy Carroll Newcastle £35,000,000 31 Jan, 2011

Jordan Henderson Sunderland £16,000,000 10 Jun, 2011

Charlie Adam Blackpool £9,000,000 08 Jul, 2011

Stewart Downing Aston Villa £20,000,000 15 Jul, 2011

Jose Enrique Newcastle £5,000,000 12 Aug, 2011

Sebastian Coates Nacional (Uru) Signed 30 Aug, 2011

Tottenham:

Emmanuel Adebayor Man City 25 Aug, 2011, loan

Scott Parker West Ham £5,000,000 31 Aug, 2011

Guest Numero Veinticinco

City where quite a different prospect. If we were paying players 250k a week, and quite clearly going to make the European Cup the next season or two, then it's likely we can attract players.

However, I only really accept one of those players as being a top class investment to a club without CL, and that's Suarez. I'll repeat it again, I do think we can attract some players; we're a massive club. However, top players want top level competition or the likelihood of it pretty quickly.

Or a million a month.

In the 06/07 season Bayern M finished outside the CL places, that summer they went out to sign this lot.

Marcell Jansen M'gladbach Signed 01 Jul, 2007

Hamit Altintop Schalke Signed 01 Jul, 2007

Luca Toni Fiorentina Signed 01 Jul, 2007

Franck Ribery Marseille Signed 01 Jul, 2007

Miroslav Klose W Bremen Signed 01 Jul, 2007

Among them the top scorer in Serie A and one of the most sought after players in Europe at the time in Ribery as well as the best striker in Germany, Klose.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

And if we had done that the first year we missed out, things wouldn't have been so bad. Now we're looking at at least three seasons out, maybe many more.

In the 06/07 season Bayern M finished outside the CL places, that summer they went out to sign this lot.

Marcell Jansen M'gladbach Signed 01 Jul, 2007

Hamit Altintop Schalke Signed 01 Jul, 2007

Luca Toni Fiorentina Signed 01 Jul, 2007

Franck Ribery Marseille Signed 01 Jul, 2007

Miroslav Klose W Bremen Signed 01 Jul, 2007

Among them the top scorer in Serie A and one of the most sought after players in Europe at the time in Ribery as well as the best striker in Germany, Klose.

thats one blip season, we're probably going to have 3 seasons without

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Why is their an assumption that it is either or!

There isn't, it was a direct question about which would be preferable. It goes without saying that everybody here wants to win all trophies and get into the European Cup.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
thats one blip season, we're probably going to have 3 seasons without

And nobody is actually saying we can't attract any players. Just that, if we want to compete for the best players on a regular basis, rather than watching them join City, United, Chelsea, Madrid, Inter, Barca, and other clubs, then we're going to need to offer top level football. We're just going to fall further behind if we don't start getting the best players in on a regular basis.

We can't rely on the odd Suarez and hatful of average Joe Coles. Anyway, I think I've made my point that top players want to play at the top level. I'm out, such is the ridiculousness of the suggestion that they're all liars when they say it.

That meireles signing worked out really well i can see why he is on the list. It's not like he asked for more money and then left for a club in the cl after one year. Joe Cole worked out really well too. good list, code.

So what it pens down to is that its not really about the CL but if we are willing to pay the wages and transfer fee or not?

If we had spent our money differently this summer and in January this discussion would be even more out of place, but since we went down the mostly British players route it looks like we cant compete.

Hazard has ben on record saying he would rather go to a club with history like Arsenal or Liverpool than Chelsea or City.

Like I tried to point out earlier, even when we were the highest ranked club in Europe, what players did we sign we could not have signed if we were not in the CL, I'd say one player and thats Torres, but if we sold the project in the right way showing our intentions of getting back in there I think he would come here if he felt wanted enough at the time.

So this myth about players seeing CL football as a must every year is just that, a myth.

If your project looks good, if you have the tradition and history like we do and if you show intent by actually not underbidding for players I'd say our chances are up there with everyone when it comes to competing for players.

Especially if we actually win a few things in our rebuilding process.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Hazard has ben on record saying he would rather go to a club with history like Arsenal or Liverpool than Chelsea or City.

Surely you're not talking about that made-up quote from twitter, are you? Sheesh.

I asked this question a while ago, and it was clumsily avoided, so I will try again:

Code, I do accept the fact that you are mentally ill, so allow me to pare this argument right down to its purest essence for you

A player who is wanted by Liverpool in summer is, given the same wages and every other factor, going to be more attracted to us if:

1) we are the Carling cup holders, or

2) are playing in the Champions League

Choose one.

All factors, wages etc the same. Which of the two would make a player MORE likely to join Liverpool?

I asked this question a while ago, and it was clumsily avoided, so I will try again:

Code, I do accept the fact that you are mentally ill, so allow me to pare this argument right down to its purest essence for you

A player who is wanted by Liverpool in summer is, given the same wages and every other factor, going to be more attracted to us if:

1) we are the Carling cup holders, or

2) are playing in the Champions League

Choose one.

All factors, wages etc the same. Which of the two would make a player MORE likely to join Liverpool?

And I'll ask again, how can the factors be the same, we are Liverpool FC, who is this other club in your example?