You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January Transfer window 2012

Megadrive Man

I can’t understand people who would sacrifice two cups for fourth place. I understand 4th has merits for the coming seasons, but at the end of the day playing football is all about winning trophies. There are 4 to win in a season and securing 1 or 2 is a great achievement. Nothing is handed out for 4th.

I can’t understand people who would sacrifice two cups for fourth place. I understand 4th has merits for the coming seasons, but at the end of the day playing football is all about winning trophies. There are 4 to win in a season and securing 1 or 2 is a great achievement. Nothing is handed out for 4th.

I think he's aware of that.

He is simply saying that the financial rewards/ ability to attract (or retain) players, is better served by being in the Champions League. Correctly.

But I think I'd prefer to win both cups. Although that view is probably slightly coloured by the fact we won't qualify for the CL anyway.

we´ll win both cups and nab fourth!

Certainly achievable.

Catching Chelsea will be the hardest thing - but they don't look convincing.

Suarez coming back might be the catalyst in us getting top four. It will be great having Suarez, Bellamy and Gerrard all in the same team. Three goal threats, combined with our solid defense - we'd have a great chance.

Nothing handed out for 4th? There's money, and a chance to make shitloads of more money. I have been "informed" here lately that football really is just a business, what with the Suarez case, and owners changing, and the stadium nonsense, it goes on and on. 4th would give us more money than either or both of the cups.

I'd prefer to win something. Even the Milk Cup.

I think he's aware of that.

He is simply saying that the financial rewards/ ability to attract (or retain) players, is better served by being in the Champions League. Correctly.

But I think I'd prefer to win both cups. Although that view is probably slightly coloured by the fact we won't qualify for the CL anyway.

We don't need to be in the top 4 to sign players good enough to get us into the top 4. 1st is 1st, second is nowhere, fourth is embarrassing. Double cup win every time!

McCarthy spurned Kenny request | Football News | Sky Sports

McCarthy spurned Kenny request

Dalglish wanted to move game back 24 hours

Kenny-Dalglish_2705815.jpg

McCarthy says Dalglish contacted him requesting to change the game to the following day due to Liverpool's potential business in the transfer market.

But the Wolves manager refused because he wanted more time to prepare for Saturday's trip to QPR.

He said: "I know Liverpool wanted to play the game on the Wednesday and asked me about it and I said 'no chance'.

"We are going down to QPR on Saturday so why would I play a day later? I want as much time to prepare for both games but I could understand Liverpool's request.

"Kenny just asked me because they might be doing something (in the transfer market) and I understood it - but he understand my reasons for not changing."

Interesting if true, but it's obvious Sly are really disappointed it's been so quiet

Haven't read the whole thing, but seems a lot of what has been said is being based on the assumption that bringing new players would have got us fourth, and that doing no business means we will definitely miss out on fourth. The reality is, irrespective of whoever we could have signed in this window (realistic targets I mean), Chelsea would have been the clear favourites to finish fourth anyway. And, secondly, January signings rarely fire straight away, bar a few exceptions.

Personally, I think the club is taking the right long-term approach. Even though the likes of Defoe, Bent, Hoillett or Teixeira may have bagged us a few goals/assists till the end of the season, it's still more likely that we will finish out of the top four than in it. Now, I wouldn't have mind getting someone like Zarate, Krasic or even Tevez on loan to sort our short-term problems, but getting the likes of Bent, Defoe, Hoillett, Texeira on a contract, and having to carry around these good, but nothing exceptional, players for 3-4 years when better ones are more likely to be available in the summer, no thanks.

I could have understood the disappointment if we had been linked with the likes of Moussa Sissoko, Javi Martinez, Hazard, Eriksson etc...who would have been useful now and in the future, but not given those we've actually been linked with. We've already seen how a hasty short-term signing can actually hinder a club's progress in the past.

McCarthy spurned Kenny request | Football News | Sky Sports

McCarthy spurned Kenny request

Dalglish wanted to move game back 24 hours

Kenny-Dalglish_2705815.jpg

McCarthy says Dalglish contacted him requesting to change the game to the following day due to Liverpool's potential business in the transfer market.

But the Wolves manager refused because he wanted more time to prepare for Saturday's trip to QPR.

He said: "I know Liverpool wanted to play the game on the Wednesday and asked me about it and I said 'no chance'.

"We are going down to QPR on Saturday so why would I play a day later? I want as much time to prepare for both games but I could understand Liverpool's request.

"Kenny just asked me because they might be doing something (in the transfer market) and I understood it - but he understand my reasons for not changing."

Interesting if true, but it's obvious Sly are really disappointed it's been so quiet

Or, we knew we had 2 very tough games close together followed by a game against a shit side we should be winning easily. So get the game put back a day as we are not playing again after it until next Monday night.

But fuck it, lets not use common sense lets believe what fucking sky sports news tell us is another managers opinion without a single fact to back it up.

Christ.

I couldn't give 2 fucks if we don't sign any cunt in this transfer window. All the best players are set, and those that aren't, command stupid fees.

Keep the money in the bank until the summer and go with what we've got; don't spunk it away on shite.

Also, take the cups every day of the week. As someone already said, our club exists to win trophies...and it has been too damn long.

Ask the mongoloid Jardees (who were in the same position a few years ago), whether they'd take 4th or a cup win. They've won sweet fuck all in forever, and just like fucking Everton when they finished 4th, they barely had time to unpack their fucking bags when they got to Europe !

Winning silverware is a habit we need to re-establish.

I don't mind if we don't sign anyone either.

But we do need a finisher - so we have to play Bellamy upfront when fit, as he looks the most clinical player we have.

Bellamy upfront with Suarez supporting should be very threatening.

Guest ShoePiss
Id say about the same chance as if we did sign a world class striker and him getting injured in his first game and being out for 4 months.

Yeah about the same and actually more chance if our entire team were to all get a 4 month injury.

Or, we knew we had 2 very tough games close together followed by a game against a shit side we should be winning easily. So get the game put back a day as we are not playing again after it until next Monday night.

But fuck it, lets not use common sense lets believe what fucking sky sports news tell us is another managers opinion without a single fact to back it up.

Christ.

Or you could read what I wrote in doubting it's true. Or you could carry on having a little girl strop

Or you could read what I wrote in doubting it's true. Or you could carry on having a little girl strop

Interesting if true, but it's obvious Sly are really disappointed it's been so quiet.

Girl strop?

You suggested it might be interesting if it was true, I showed you how it wasn't true and your come back is that you doubted it was true.

:wallbutt: