You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New HBO Series: Game of Thrones

Mr Nando

Guest Pistonbroke

"The World of Ice and fire" is being released in October, deffo going to purchase it. http://www.amazon.co.uk/World-Ice-Fire-History-Westeros/dp/0553805444/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1403432480&sr=1-1&keywords=the+world+of+ice+and+fire+the+untold+history+of+westeros

Also toying with the idea of buying "The hedge knight" and "The sworn sword" which martin penned before "song of ice and fire." Has anybody on here read those books? 

I think that's more than likely. If HBO are true to their intention of wrapping up the story in seven series it can't happen any other way. If, as I expect, the last two book's contents are used for season five, there is a good chance that come July next year when they start to film season 6 they will have no more completed books to work from. Hell, given the rate that Martin works at, season 6 could even premiere before the Winds Of Winter is published.

• 3 weeks later...

I think he needs to spend a little bit more time writing the books and a little less writing about writing the books.

get used to it mate i was a fucking young man when i read the first one and with all respect i doubt George will live long enough to finish them as he is hardly a specimen of health.

I think that's more than likely. If HBO are true to their intention of wrapping up the story in seven series it can't happen any other way. If, as I expect, the last two book's contents are used for season five, there is a good chance that come July next year when they start to film season 6 they will have no more completed books to work from. Hell, given the rate that Martin works at, season 6 could even premiere before the Winds Of Winter is published.

i think they will have to divert from the books sort of how they did with the Dexter books as the TV series is completely different after the fist two books. Also if they use the last two books for the next series then absolutely fuck all happens.

That is just an incredibly disgusting thing to ask someone. People have no respect these days. Fucking internet.

Agreed. I find it strange these days that people love a creative product but seem to have little respect for creative people. People live their lives around Harry Potter yet call JK Rowling all the cunts going. It's like loving Beatles music but saying 'I wish Lennon would hurry up and finish the album before he dies'.

Maybe it's a sign of the times, we see things like this as something to consume, just like food or drink, then thrown away so we can move onto something else. We don't savour it or respect the workmanship or lament its ending, we just move onto something else.

I think tbe rise of the box set especially, is a lot to do with the fact there's a whole industry built around getting you to buy technology that lets you consume entertainment, TVs, tablets etc, yet little investment in the actual quality of that entertainment or information, so when a Game of Thrones or a Breaking Bad comes out, it becomes about some mongs sat there with a 900 inch 3D telly hooked up to an XBOx one with no clue what they're going to watch on it, so the next in vogue thing is consumed and digested with gusto.

• Upvote 2

Agreed. I find it strange these days that people love a creative product but seem to have little respect for creative people. People live their lives around Harry Potter yet call JK Rowling all the cunts going. It's like loving Beatles music but saying 'I wish Lennon would hurry up and finish the album before he dies'.

Maybe it's a sign of the times, we see things like this as something to consume, just like food or drink, then thrown away so we can move onto something else. We don't savour it or respect the workmanship or lament its ending, we just move onto something else.

I think tbe rise of the box set especially, is a lot to do with the fact there's a whole industry built around getting you to buy technology that lets you consume entertainment, TVs, tablets etc, yet little investment in the actual quality of that entertainment or information, so when a Game of Thrones or a Breaking Bad comes out, it becomes about some mongs sat there with a 900 inch 3D telly hooked up to an XBOx one with no clue what they're going to watch on it, so the next in vogue thing is consumed and digested with gusto.

to be fair though these people would always be fucking helmets social media just gives the sorry twats some attention. In the grand scheme they probably meet very few cunts compared to the number pf people they meet but unfortunately they are the ones who get the attention. 

• 2 weeks later...

Season 5 casting announced some notable exceptions for book readers hopefully they will be added later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH2ri8RhSnw 

Also Dr Bashir as Doran, although I think he will be good; I just always imagined him a bit fatter and older like Oliver Reed around Galdiator only bigger.

I thought that. Doesn't he suffer from gout or something, in the books? 

When I first watched BSG I thought baltar was bashir - nerd fail.

They do look alike though.

Yeah they are quite similar looking, Bashir will be a good 15 years older though I imagine.

Always glad to see Star Trek actors get good gigs, they end up typecast to fuck and it tends to be the end of their careers, which is a shame because by and large they tend to be really good actors.