You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Pepe leave what the fuck do we do

Guest simon

Salim Hamdanovic of Udinese (and Slovenia) would be my choice - i think he's excellent, and without doubt a better shot-stopper than Pepe (admittedly that's only part of what being a top goalie is about!). I certainly wouldn't take some of the names being suggested on here, like the wooden Ajax goalkeeper.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd agree all round he's better than Reina. Hed never join us I think he'll end up a Manc.

Pepe's the best in the world, no one's better than him.

I think United dont have the dough to get a keeper for £20+

I also think Pepe just wants to join the top earners at the club personally and is angling for a new deal

Guest simon

Imo iker is the best I believe Pepe is the best in our league. But like Pepe, Neuer is awesome. I believe hes a little better all round though but like I said he wouldn't join us any time soon.

I hope that in his heart and mind that he wants to stay.

But if that's not the case I for one will not be begging him otherwise.

He's only a Goalkeeper and as good as he is there are many other excellent Goalkeepers we can replace him with.

Those who think we can't/won't attract the best just because we're not in the CL next season need to get a fucking grip, seriously.

Latest interview with lfctv

Pepe Reina has given a frank assessment of his performance against West Ham on Sunday and declared: I must improve.

Most Recent News

Vidic out of Sunday's clash

Vote: February's star man

Clarke on trio fitness latest

Martin Kelly injury update

Latest transfer rumours

The 28-year-old has been one of Liverpool's most consistent performers over recent seasons but he was not happy with his showing in the 3-1 defeat at Upton Park.

The scoreline followed a run of six clean sheets in seven games for Reina.

He told Liverpoolfc.tv: "Keeping those clean sheets was about not making mistakes, first of all. I did a couple of them on Sunday and I felt really disappointed with my performance individually.

"I won't hide behind any teammates - I was poor and I have to recognise this and keep learning from the mistakes."

Liverpool's improvement at the back prior to Sunday's loss coincided with the return of Kenny Dalglish to the helm.

Asked how impressed he has been with the man christened The King by supporters, Reina added: "It speaks for itself. He was a great footballer for this football club. He knows exactly what the people are thinking in each moment and that's what he tries to explain to us.

"His comments about football are always about the philosophy of Liverpool and how when we face any rival it depends on us. He tells us to trust ourselves and to be positive at all times so the people are with us.

"Training is realistic and you find that what you've prepared during the week is what happens on a Sunday. That's important. We are prepared."

Another trait of Dalglish's second Anfield tenure has been the introduction of young players to Barclays Premier League action.

Danny Wilson, Jonjo Shelvey, Martin Kelly and Jay Spearing have all been thrown in for what arguably have been the biggest games of their fledgling careers - and Reina for one is delighted.

"I am pleased because they deserve it," said the Spaniard, who is just three appearances shy of 300 for Liverpool. "If they didn't deserve it I wouldn't be pleased.

"I have watched the training and I know their qualities, so it's not been a surprise to me. They're getting their reward and they fully deserve it.

"I try my best to help them just like Stevie, Carra or Dirk do - we're all here to help the young lads and to try and lead by example."

Click on the play button to watch our exclusive chat with Pepe

One of Reina's old clubs, Barcelona, are currently illustrating what can be achieved with a successful academy system.

Players such as Gerard Piqué, Sergio Busquets, Andrés Iniesta, Xavi, Lionel Messi, Bojan Krkic and Pedro Rodríguez have helped the club to successive La Liga titles as well as Champions League glory two seasons ago.

Liverpool's own academy was the subject of an overhaul in 2009 ordered by Rafael Benitez, who brought in amongst others Rodolfo Borrell and Pep Segura - both of whom worked with some of the aforementioned stars at Camp Nou.

Reina added: "A good academy is important but it takes time. Of course Barcelona are showing now the philosophy from Cruyff's days but it's not about one or two years - it's about 15 years working in the same way and following one philosophy."

Meanwhile, Reina believes a player who came through the Newcastle academy could have a big impact on Liverpool's future.

The Spain international knows from our defeat at St James' Park before Christmas exactly what January signing Andy Carroll is capable of.

He said: "I hope it turns out like we all think it will. He's a great player, a top striker and he will score a lot of goals for Liverpool.

"He has that physical condition. He is massive as a unit and a tough bloke to deal with. I know from my own experience how difficult it is to face these kinds of opponents."

Positive stuff.

Manchester United have confirmed an interest in signing Germany’s World Cup keeper Manuel Neuer, according to his club, Schalke.

The *Bundesliga outfit’s chairman, Clemens Tonnies, said United have made contact over Neuer.

Sir Alex Ferguson is looking for a replacement for Edwin van der Sar, who is retiring at the end of the season.

At 24, Neuer is already viewed as one of the most talented goalkeepers in Europe, and Tonnies revealed an approach from United via a third party.

“An international agent approached me and informed me that Manchester United are interested in Neuer,” said Tonnies. “If Manchester United make a written inquiry, then we will deal with it.”

Although United have recently signed Danish keeper Anders Lindegaard, he is seen as a player for the future, with Fergie still looking for a new No.1 to replace Van der Sar.

Neuer’s contract with Schalke expires at the end of next season and his imminent availability is set to spark a bidding war for his signature.

Bayern Munich are known to be keen to sign him - their coach Louis van Gaal having openly declared his interest in the player.

Read more: Manchester United transfer news United have confirmed an interest in Germany World Cup goalkeeper Manuel Neuer, according to his club Schalke - News - MirrorFootball.co.uk

They have been chasing Neuer for quite some time. Think they will go for him as Fergie will consider doing business with us as the last option. Arsenal might give Scezeny another year before actually going into the market. The lad has been decent for them except the odd mistake and it would be unfair to buy a replacement without giving him a chance.

I'd be gutted if I was the danish lad. United sign you, and then start chasing more established keepers.

I'm convinced Utd aren't going to splash the cash this summer, they're linked to every player that can kick a ball, just their PR department working overtime..

If Reina wants to go or even hints at it, I'd drop him and tell him if he wants to go hand in a request.

I've a pain in my bollocks with players whinging, do footballwrs realise what's going on on the real world, he signed a 6 year deal a year ago, he released a statement in November saying he was going nowhere, I want him to stay and hope there's nothing in this interview to say different, but if he's given an interview saying different a few days before we play our biggest rivals well that's enough for me, sell and move on.

Nobody let me repeat nobody is irreplaceable

It's going to be an interview with Reina so I assume we'll have a fair idea of his intentions come the summer after it. If he wants to go fair enough, we'll get a big fee and if someone doesn't want to stay then we're better off without him. Really couldn't face the prospect of him joining another english club though.