You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

BBC Glastonbury Coverage

Vincent Vega

13 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I would rather one of the worms from Dune tunneld into my ears than watch Rick Astley.

At least he knows it's all a bit of a pantomime.  Nothing worse than these acts taking it seriously.  And his Smiths gig was proper bo.  I never thought I'd hear RA say 'some dippy whore aged 104'.

'Stock and Aitken are on your side, but Waterman is on mine...'

14 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Just watched the Alison Goldfrapp set on the IPlayer. Best hour of the weekend for me, just ordered her latest album off the back of it. I highly recommend it.

Saw them in 2006. Decent act, very good live 

1 hour ago, Mook said:

I had the misfortune to see some of Rick Astley's set on social media.

People are easily pleased nowadays aren't they? He has, is and always will be utterly fucking dreadful.

I think the reason he got bigged up is that he is exactly as dreadful as he was 35 years ago. 

On 26/06/2023 at 19:57, TheHowieLama said:

Bunch of bands have a great sound at a huge festival employing the top sound engineers in the world ( headline bands would certainly bring their own touring pro). One fella though somehow had issues, ok.

The BBC most likely handled the TV/Streaming mix as it’s a different feed to the front of house mix, heard by people in the crowd.

Good example, Axl Rose could barely be heard on the BBC at times. Footage taken from the audience shows his vocals coming across fine.

The infuriating thing for me was that the vocal levels weren’t turned up at the start of most performances that I watched. 

You’d think you’d bloody check the levels are set ok before the singer starts singing his first notes.  

I’d love to find out if some bands used their own sound engineers for the TV/Streams as part of their contracts with Glastonbury but it being the BBC, who knows. 

I think one of the problems is the sound engineers (and musicians) these days seem to go for a shite sound, especially on these live TV things.

Jools Holland has suffered for years with it, no bottom end & no dirt in the sound.

That doesn't excuse the singer being inaudible though, that's not a subjective thing, it's just unprofessional.

1 hour ago, Mook said:

I think one of the problems is the sound engineers (and musicians) these days seem to go for a shite sound, especially on these live TV things.

Jools Holland has suffered for years with it, no bottom end & no dirt in the sound.

That doesn't excuse the singer being inaudible though, that's not a subjective thing, it's just unprofessional.

I think there is a transition between trad TV set tops and streaming. 

Later was mixed to be delivered on a TV set with internal speakers, not much different than radio mixes have been for decades - nowdays the "TV" mix should assume most folks are listening to it on a full range system. Or studio quality headphones.

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Catching up on some of the coverage, the sound on the Pyramid for Blondie and GNR sounds fucking awful. Only caught half of GNR so will go back to it, fucking hell though Axl. Bet it was boss there though. 

I saw Blondie supporting Sting during the week and they were shite. Sounded like Glasto.