You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Roy Hodgson Thread

BexBissel

Is Roy Hodgson Good Enough to Manage Liverpool Football Club?  

346 members have voted

1. 1. Is Roy Hodgson Good Enough to Manage Liverpool Football Club?

Am I missing something here, or is everyone taking this as fact based on a thread started by someone with full reds based on a bookie's odds? He's bound to be favourite, he's flavour of the month - he'll be touted around every fucker by the press for the rest of the summer.

7.5% want CURBS

Despite all the noise, that's probably the opinion of 95% on here.

I think so, and that could end up being a blessing, as there will be at least initially a period of near-unity among the fan base (albeit only on management opinion, not ownership opinion). Hodgson might just make decent fist of the job with the weight of support behind him and the team.

I'm shitting it about him getting the job as well.

Am I missing something here, or is everyone taking this as fact based on a thread started by someone with full reds based on a bookie's odds? He's bound to be favourite, he's flavour of the month - he'll be touted around every fucker by the press for the rest of the summer.

7.5% want CURBS

Hodgson Leaves For Liverpool

By Kevin Markey

Thursday, 24th June 2010

Roy Hodgson has accepted the opportunity to become the next manager of Liverpool.

Hodgson has agreed terms with Liverpool managing director Christian Purslow but no official announcement will be made until Fulham and Liverpool finalise a compensation payment.

Hodgson is due to talk to senior members of the Liverpool coaching staff to help him come to a decision as to who should be his assistant.

Hodgson Leaves For Liverpool - Fulham FC - FulhamMAD

Liverpool set to announce Roy Hodgson as manager

Roy Hodgson Liverpool are confident of bringing Roy Hodgson to Liverpool. Photograph: Tom Jenkins for the Guardian

Liverpool expect to finalise the appointment of Roy Hodgson as the club's new manager following his return from South Africa today. The Fulham manager, who has been commenting at the World Cup for the BBC, has been the frontrunner for the Liverpool job since Rafael Benítez left Anfield this month and could be confirmed as the Spaniard's successor within days.

Liverpool have considered several candidates for the position, including the former Real Madrid and Villarreal coach Manuel Pellegrini, but Kenny Dalglish, the club legend asked to conduct the managerial search alongside the managing director, Christian Purslow, is not in the running.

Anfield officials are confident of securing a deal with Hodgson now that he has returned from South Africa and with his prospects of being offered the chance to succeed Fabio Capello as England manager diminished by the national team's World Cup victory over Slovenia.

It is understood the make-up of Hodgson's backroom staff is one of the issues to be resolved prior to his appointment, with the 62-year-old keen to bring the Fulham assistant manager, Mike Kelly, with him to Merseyside.

While Liverpool await the arrival of their next manager, Yossi Benayoun is close to leaving Anfield for Chelsea after the two clubs agreed a £5m fee for the Israel international.

Liverpool set to announce Roy Hodgson as manager | Football | guardian.co.uk

What the fucks goin on? Why sell a player whilst we are without a manager? And why believe a link that announce the imminent appointment in one sentence, and then follows it up with speculation about him meeting Purslow to discuss his back room staff.

Its bollocks.

Rijkaards also been approached twice according to Sky Sports and Granada Tonight.

And I tell you what, if its on Granada Tonight then you can bet your nans pension its true.

What the fucks goin on? Why sell a player whilst we are without a manager? And why believe a link that announce the imminent appointment in one sentence, and then follows it up with speculation about him meeting Purslow to discuss his back room staff.

Its bollocks.

Rijkaards also been approached twice according to Sky Sports and Granada Tonight.

And I tell you what, if its on Granada Tonight then you can bet your nans pension its true.

I hope your right. Rijkaard is the sort of manager we should be looking at.

I hope your right. Rijkaard is the sort of manager we should be looking at.

Definitely. If Hicks doesn't give him enough cash he can spit in the bit of hair he has left. Or maybe he'll just bounce a greeny off his shiny bald bit. Get him in.

One of my favourite Liverpool myths from the last few years this one. The fella who was supposedly employed by Benitez to scrutinise the press was called Juanfran and anyone who ever came across him at Melwood or anywhere else would be able to tell you he couldn't speak a word of English, never mind perform some sort of Alistair Campbell style role. On the subject of Hodgson, good luck to him if and when he is confirmed. He is one of football's good guys and it would be great if he could prove the doubters, of which I am one, wrong. The very least he deserves is a chance to do so. It doesn't matter who's brought him in, who anyone would've prefered or who he's replaced, from the moment he becomes Liverpool manager he deserves to be treated as such - and that means affording him dignity and respect.

Goes without saying. But until that moment comes I can say I think it's an unambitious appointment and I have grave concerns about whether he's up to it. Can't I?

That was Rafa's worst season.

Go and pick Hodgson best season and put it up against Rafa's worst season,and he still a million miles behind Benitez.

He has gone John. Get over it.

In any case. Rafa's worst season came SIX years into the job. His Liverpool career was hardly in it's infancy was it? It would have been more understandable if it was.

Roy Hodgson Skillz

Success with top level club in England

No – did shit at Blackburn when they were one of the top teams, just a couple of years removed from a title.

Success with top level European club

No – did average job at Inter, lost in the UEFA cup final

Success in any big European league

No

Success in smaller European league

Yes – years ago

Ability to get most out of top players

No

Ability to get most out of smaller team in the premier league

Not really

Ability to get most of smaller team in Europe

Yes – good run to the UEFA cup final with Fulham