You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Roy Hodgson Thread

BexBissel

Is Roy Hodgson Good Enough to Manage Liverpool Football Club?  

346 members have voted

1. 1. Is Roy Hodgson Good Enough to Manage Liverpool Football Club?

I'll support Hodgson if he comes here and shows ambition - if he's here to keep us afloat in midtable, it would be detrimental to fail to boo him when the rot sets in. It would be a disgrace to the club to allow a man brought in by Hicks, Gillett, Purslow and Broughton to carry on untroubled with an unacceptable agenda.

It's all on Roy's watch now - He's the man responsible for ensuring that either Gerrard and Torres stay or that all of the money from their sales goes into the transfer kitty is made available to purchase world class replacements. If he fails on that front and doesn't have us challenging for a CL spot come December, it's high time that he departs.

I think we'll have a good idea of where it's heading after the Man City game - Gerrard, Torres gone, no world class replacements and less than two points on the board and he should do the decent thing and resign.

Other than that, I'm open to his management - He's a good man and a good manager. I just won't accept a Hicks, Gillett, Purslow & Broughton patsy brought in to "safely handle" us to a maximum aspiration of Europe League football.

That was Rafa's worst season.

Go and pick Hodgson best season and put it up against Rafa's worst season,and he still a million miles behind Benitez.

God there is so much ignorant rubbish around about RH imo.

People seem to order managers abiltiy with where they finish in the league so Ancelotti is the best, SAF second , Wenger third ...etc and cos people have been managers of Barca, Inter, Real or whoever they must be top people - listen - some of them got those jobs cos of being in the right place at the right time

It'd be a bit like saying Sam Alladyce is a top manager cos he got Bolton Wanderers to 6th in the PL once - hes clearly far better than Dario Gradi will ever be cos Dario Gradi has never even managed in the PL.

Well .... No - Dario is obviously a top man and I believe RH has the potential to do well if he is appointed as our new manager. I hate all this 'top name' stuff - I do not want a top name I want a man who can do the job who may or may not be a top name.

Being a good manager is all about the resources you have, the opportunities you have and how you take them - I really do not believe that RH has ever had top resources (and in some ways with the owners - whose removal yes is obviously the biggest priority - he won't get it with us - lol) but to me he is a good manager who talks sense and deserves a chance. All this FFC fuinished 13th or did not win away much last season - well just maybe they were concentrating on Europe once their PL status was safe and also with the amount of games played just maybe they were not at their best fitness wise for some of their fixtures - ever thought of that,

I am not impressed by my fellow Liverpool fans abuse to him prior to him even starting.

I also don't buy this thing that FT and SG will leave if RH gets the job - they both seem sensible in their views and so imo are likely to give him a chance and see how thngs go not throw their dummy out as they perceive him not to be a big enough name - as we all should.

Goodness me - I had (and still have) a lot of time for Rafa but look at last season performance wise - anything has to be an improvement on that considering the personel at our disposal - who largely will be at our disposal again next season (we hope!!)

I also don't buy this thing that FT and SG will leave if RH gets the job

That's never been the case.

Both, as well as other players, are considering their futures because of the direction the club is headed under the current ownership. I doubt any new manager will have a say in helping them decide their futures.

Hodgson's appointment is almost like an admission from the board, saying 'look, we are in a mess and we feel he is the best man to lead the team as we deal with this mess'. It's a difficult admission for us fans to accept but simply, he could be the best man for the job as things stand. Unique circumstances call for a special kind of management that maybe few can offer or would be willing to offer the club at this time, Hodgson being in that few.

Dalglish is maybe not so much against the appointment of Hodgson, rather he's taking exception to the reasons why Hodgson is being brought in and showing the state of the club right now is far from acceptable, putting pressure on the board whilst giving a heads up to Roy along the way.

Hopefully things will become a little clearer in the coming weeks, lessening all this confusion and guesswork.

In any case. Rafa's worst season came SIX years into the job. His Liverpool career was hardly in it's infancy was it? It would have been more understandable if it was.

It wasn't exactly like 'any other job' though was it? The mitigating circumstances, despite Rafa's own shortcomings, were fucking massive.

Its almost like the Lucas debate, alot of people dont rate him and make their points fairly reasonably, a minority of people call him a cunt.

Then those who rate him accuse everyone who doesnt rate him of calling him a cunt.

Roy is obviously dividing opinion. But lets be honest, hes not the fans overwhelming choice and thats a problem.

But in fairness he personally is not the problem, its the message this is sending. Basically we're going for a midtable manager in the desperate hope we can somehow make it to 4th next year. Obviously as things stand we cant realistically consider ourselves title contenders and no world class manager will want the job(or so we're told) so maybe the only option left is Roy.

But I have an awful fear hes only coming in because we're about to sell off whatever we can to line those awful cunts pockets. Roys job will be to take whats left,try and add to it with a measly fraction of what we accumulate from sales and somehow keep us in the top half of the table.

But its all conjecture, we wont know till the start of the season.

Yes, yes, Roy Hodgson is exactly like MLK, he will surely fight the power. Just listen to his next speech about having a dream. What next, he'll weave his own cloth and lead the Liverpool supporters by foot to the coast to get some salt?

Guest Pistonbroke
Joachim_Low.jpg

"I do not approve of this thread."

edit : just remembered,. he'd want a transfer budget Carry on, nothing to see here.

Indeed, those scarves aren't cheap.

I'll support Hodgson if he comes here and shows ambition - if he's here to keep us afloat in midtable, it would be detrimental to fail to boo him when the rot sets in. It would be a disgrace to the club to allow a man brought in by Hicks, Gillett, Purslow and Broughton to carry on untroubled with an unacceptable agenda.

It's all on Roy's watch now - He's the man responsible for ensuring that either Gerrard and Torres stay or that all of the money from their sales goes into the transfer kitty is made available to purchase world class replacements. If he fails on that front and doesn't have us challenging for a CL spot come December, it's high time that he departs.

I think we'll have a good idea of where it's heading after the Man City game - Gerrard, Torres gone, no world class replacements and less than two points on the board and he should do the decent thing and resign.

Other than that, I'm open to his management - He's a good man and a good manager. I just won't accept a Hicks, Gillett, Purslow & Broughton patsy brought in to "safely handle" us to a maximum aspiration of Europe League football.

If he fails on the first point, he's already on his way out....

If he fails on the second, it'll be hell at Anfield, both in terms of the season and the poisonous atmosphere it will create going forward...

Good luck Roy, you're better off not taking the job, as a large majority of us don't want you!!

What makes you assume a short term deal? Whats his incentive in agreeing a short term deal? I doubt he would leave Fulham and al the adulation that goes with it for a short term deal. Wheres the ambition in that?

Well, that's the mystery, isn't it? Because, unless the club has already been sold to someone with loads of money who has identified Woy the Wed as the man to spend it, there is no guarantee it ISN'T a short-term deal. And that makes the choice to leave the security of Fulham decidedly odd.

Guest davelfc

The scene is Anfield. 4th of July and protesting Liverpool fans have reached The gates.

Purslow: Sir, sir, there's a really rowdy rabble of supporters at the gates, they're demanding you recruit a new manager and release the owners.

Broughton: welease the owners, how widiculous. I'll speak to them..

Purslow: noooo

Broughton: (to the crowd) wowdy wabble,:| I have heard your wequest to welease the owners, I weally wish I could find new owners but at the moment there are no intewests. The worldwide wecession have weigened in any wich buyers. But I can wecruit a new manager. Myself and Chwistian have dwawn up a list of potential managers. Who would you like me to wecruit.

Single voice in crowd: Wecruit Woger (crowd breaks into laughter)

Broughton: vewy well then, showing you wowdy wabble that i am weceptive to your wequest, I shall wecruit Woger.

(more laughter)

Purslow: We don't have a Roger on the shortlist Sir.

Broughton: We don't have a woger, who else do you want me to wecruit.

Single voice in crowd: Recruit Roderick ( much laughter now from crowd)

Broughton: Who is this Woderwick you speak of?

voices in crowd: he's a radical, he's from Rochdale, he used to manage Rotterdam, he's a great tactician (the crowd boo the last person)

Broughton: This Woderwick sounds ideal, we need a wadical to get the team playing. Vewy well I shall wecwuit Woderwick.

Purslow: We don't have a Roderick sir.

broughton: (now looking suspicious) Chwistan, would this wabble be wibbing me?

Purslow: do what Sir?

Broughton: wibbing me.

Purslow: oh no sir, they would never do that.

(half an hour later)

Broughton: wabble, we have no wupert, wichard, wick, woss, way, tewwy, wamsbottom or any of the people you wequested.

Voice in crowd: what about woy (crowd start chanting woy, woy, woy)

Purslow flings back page after page on the shortlist: We have a Roy sir.

Broughton: very well, I will wecwuit Woy!

I do like Roy as a person and I will support him to the bitter end, but I do think his appointment is a huge step down.

I also don't think that Roy will be the inspirational appointment that persuades Torres to stay, and will help to lure other top players to the club.

Would I be a bit premature in saying will the last person to leave Anfield this once glorious club please turn the light off!