You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Happy Rumour Mill (Takeover bids, transfer talks etc)

WhiskeyJar

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bayern Munich signed Luca Toni, Ribbery and Klose after they failed to make the champions league, and AC Milan signed Ronaldinio when they failed. If the ambition is there, it doesn't take that big a leap of faith to presume we would be back in it.

Absolutely spot on Whelan.

Bayern Munich signed Luca Toni, Ribbery and Klose after they failed to make the champions league, and AC Milan signed Ronaldinio when they failed. If the ambition is there, it doesn't take that big a leap of faith to presume we would be back in it.

The ambition to concentrate upon getting the debt down is a different matter though!

I see what you are saying and I am not saying that any of those clubs are any better than us, but based on our last seasons perfomance, debt, internal club turmoil AND lack of Champions League; you see why some player will be at the very reluctant to join us.

Some players will join us to play for Rafa Benitez whilst other players will join us to play in the red shirt. Yes, there are players like that in the world but they are few and far between.

So if we look to quality players, they will come for the money, something that we well and truly lack.

I see what you are saying and I am not saying that any of those clubs are any better than us, but based on our last seasons perfomance, debt, internal club turmoil AND lack of Champions League; you see why some player will be at the very reluctant to join us.

Some players will join us to play for Rafa Benitez whilst other players will join us to play in the red shirt. Yes, there are players like that in the world but they are few and far between.

So if we look to quality players, they will come for the money, something that we well and truly lack.

Just adding to add that will players be put off playing for Rafa? maybe some will look at the Keane, Babel, Bellamy and Aquilani situation and maybe wont like the idea of being a bit part player.

Just adding to add that will players be put off playing for Rafa? maybe some will look at the Keane, Babel, Bellamy and Aquilani situation and maybe wont like the idea of being a bit part player.

Thats down to the consistency of the manager. I like to think those players wanted to play for Rafa or for us but for whatever the reason, Rafa did not like the way they followed his instructions.

The ambition to concentrate upon getting the debt down is a different matter though!

Bayern Munich had one thing that we don't have. Lots of cash. Wasn't Luca Toni on something ridiculous like 90k a week?

As far as I can remember, Ronaldinho signed for Milan because the only other club in for him was Manchester City.

Bayern Munich had one thing that we don't have. Lots of cash. Wasn't Luca Toni on something ridiculous like 90k a week?

As far as I can remember, Ronaldinho signed for Milan because the only other club in for him was Manchester City.

That is what I meant by this!

It isn't necessarily all doom and gloom, its always darkest before the dawn or when you haven't paid your electricity bill!

<IFRAME id=_atssh864 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 0px; BORDER-TOP: 0px; Z-INDEX: 100000; LEFT: 0px; BORDER-LEFT: 0px; WIDTH: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: 0px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 0px; HEIGHT: 1px" name=_atssh864 src="//s7.addthis.com/static/r07/sh16.html#ab=-&dh=www.liverpoolway.co.uk&dr=&du=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.liverpoolway.co.uk%2Fforum%2Fnewreply.php%3Fdo%3Dpostreply%26t%3D91280&dt=&inst=1&lng=en-gb&pc=men250&pub=&ssl=0&sid=4bf1909b6c6333c2&srf=0.02&srp=0.2&srx=0&ver=250&xck=0&rev=76399" frameBorder=0 width=1 height=1></IFRAME>

Debt-ridden Liverpool to miss out on summer signings

By Michael Owen

7:02pm UK, Monday May 17, 2010

By Michael Owen, 7:02pm UK, Monday May 17, 2010

<!-- Article Start -->

Liverpool manager Rafael Benítez is likely to miss out on a number of transfer targets this summer with a takeover of the struggling club unlikely to happen before the start of next season.

The former Valencia manager was a target for Juventus, but the Italian giants ended their interest after Benítez failed to give them a clear answer about whether he was willing to join the Turin side.

Benítez had looked at a number of potential signings in the summer with things looking up after co-owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett put the club up for sale. But a lack of potential investors and a high asking price means a takeover is unlikely to happen during the summer transfer window.

Meetings with the club’s new part-time chairman Martin Broughton will not have made the Liverpool boss any more optimistic, with the Chelsea supporter failing to offer the Spanish boss any assurances on the clubs summer transfer policy.

Liverpool have been linked with Sevilla winger Jesus Navas, West Ham striker Carlton Cole and Werder Bremen forward Mesut Ozil, but with Liverpool’s financial future looking increasingly bleak it’s unlikely the debt-ridden club will be able to compete for the players’ signatures.

One glimmer of hope for Liverpool supporters will be the arrival of former Standard Liege front man Milan Jovanovic, who agreed a pre-contract agreement with the Reds in his last year with the Belgian club to ensure he’d be at Anfield in time for the new season.

It looks increasingly likely that Benítez will have to look for more free transfers such as Jovanvic and Maxi Rodriguez, with reports suggesting the Liverpool manger is unlikely to see any real financial backing in the summer, which may force him to once again sell off players in order to fund new signings.

Even more worrying for Liverpool supporters will be comments from Javier Mascherano which suggested he may look to leave Merseyside for Barcelona. If the Argentine does leave Anfield he may be the first of a number of a number of first-team players to make their way out of Anfield in the summer.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only to be expected

Debt-ridden Liverpool to miss out on summer signings

By Michael Owen

7:02pm UK, Monday May 17, 2010

By Michael Owen, 7:02pm UK, Monday May 17, 2010

Liverpool manager Rafael Benítez is likely to miss out on a number of transfer targets this summer with a takeover of the struggling club unlikely to happen before the start of next season.

The former Valencia manager was a target for Juventus, but the Italian giants ended their interest after Benítez failed to give them a clear answer about whether he was willing to join the Turin side.

Benítez had looked at a number of potential signings in the summer with things looking up after co-owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett put the club up for sale. But a lack of potential investors and a high asking price means a takeover is unlikely to happen during the summer transfer window.

Meetings with the club’s new part-time chairman Martin Broughton will not have made the Liverpool boss any more optimistic, with the Chelsea supporter failing to offer the Spanish boss any assurances on the clubs summer transfer policy.

Liverpool have been linked with Sevilla winger Jesus Navas, West Ham striker Carlton Cole and Werder Bremen forward Mesut Ozil, but with Liverpool’s financial future looking increasingly bleak it’s unlikely the debt-ridden club will be able to compete for the players’ signatures.

One glimmer of hope for Liverpool supporters will be the arrival of former Standard Liege front man Milan Jovanovic, who agreed a pre-contract agreement with the Reds in his last year with the Belgian club to ensure he’d be at Anfield in time for the new season.

It looks increasingly likely that Benítez will have to look for more free transfers such as Jovanvic and Maxi Rodriguez, with reports suggesting the Liverpool manger is unlikely to see any real financial backing in the summer, which may force him to once again sell off players in order to fund new signings.

Even more worrying for Liverpool supporters will be comments from Javier Mascherano which suggested he may look to leave Merseyside for Barcelona. If the Argentine does leave Anfield he may be the first of a number of a number of first-team players to make their way out of Anfield in the summer.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only to be expected

Well that's certainly his most pathetic effort to get a free transfer back to us.....

Benitez predicts quality Liverpool signings

By Carl Markham, PA

Tuesday, 18 May 2010

Rafael Benitez is confident Liverpool will still be able to attract high-class signings this summer despite the absence of Champions League football next season.

However, whether the Spaniard is there is coach them remains to be seen as his long-term future at Anfield remains unresolved.

Although interest from Juventus has died off after their turned to Luigi del Neri, who resigned as Sampdoria coach yesterday, there are still options to leave Anfield.

Reports today suggested Inter Milan, who appear likely to lose Jose Mourinho to Real Madrid this summer, have approached Benitez about the possibility of taking over at the San Siro.

And it seems the Spaniard could have the pick of the two Milan clubs as the suggestion is AC Milan, who dispensed with Leonardo after a disappointing season, have already twice been in touch with Benitez's agent.

Both jobs at the San Siro are more enticing than the one at Juventus but still Benitez's desire is to remain at Liverpool, providing he receives assurances about the club's financial position and his ability to rebuild this summer.

With owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett still waiting for the right offer to be made after they put the club up for sale last month Benitez will more than likely be restricted in his dealings.

But he is confident Liverpool can still bring in the right calibre of player even though they are playing in the Europa League next season.

"Liverpool is a massive club and can attract top-class players because of their name and their history and the quality we have in the squad," said the Reds boss.

"Always we have targets in mind. We have been working and preparing the targets and every year is the same."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...hmm.

What do people think of the Pazzini deal? I'd love to see it especially for under or around 15m.

I think Pazzini is a really good player, but I don't think we could afford him, and given that Sampdoria qualified for the Champions League, would he actually want to come to us?

Guest the boy

Maybe some will look to Carragher, Reina, Benayoun, Torres, Alonso, Mascherano and Agger and think hmm.

I fucking hope not Benitez. Your last two years have seen you spunk £50m on spastics like Aquilani, Dossena and Keane

It amazes me the amount of people who think Aquilani is boss.

Btw, how do you make those transfers £50M? I'm not taking the piss, I just wonder.

What do people think of the Pazzini deal? I'd love to see it especially for under or around 15m.

Nah some halfwit mongy bellwhiff is bound to start calling him Spazzini......

Ooops.... :whoops:

Guest Pistonbroke
Maybe some will look to Carragher, Reina, Benayoun, Torres, Alonso, Mascherano and Agger and think hmm.

Or maybe they'll look to the likes of Lucas and Kuyt and go mmmmm. I'm shite, but i say yes boss and run around a lot.

I fucking hope not Benitez. Your last two years have seen you spunk £50m on spastics like Aquilani, Dossena and Keane

I bet you won't be saying stuff like that if he stays and is playing regularly next year. I even think Tom might have to hold his hand up and admit he was wrong about him, even though he'll never accept that right now.

Liverpool are considering a shock move for Tottenham misfit David Bentley this summer. Rafa Benitez is looking to bring in some bargains as he tries to add more creativity to his midfield using a shoestring budget and has identified the White Hart Lane man as a suitable target.

The former Arsenal man was excellent during the second half of the season when he got a run in the first team as a result of a long term injury suffered by Aaron Lennon. The 25 year old began to show the kind of performances that led to his big money move from Blackburn Rovers to Tottenham but is set for another season struggling to get into the starting eleven and so could be ready for a new challenge.

Harry Redknapp had made it clear that he would listen to offers for the England international and Rafa could well be ready to offer Yossi Benayoun in any deal. Benitez has used the Israeli international very sparingly over the past three seasons and is ready to consider a swap deal to help seal the deal. The north London club are keen to recoup as much of the £15m fee they paid for Bentley back in July 2008 as they can.

Liverpool have lacked natural width on the right for some time and have played Dirk Kuyt out on the wing for the best part of two years but the Anfield boss may feel that Bentley could offer more and is hoping that the carrot of first team football may help lure the Spurs man to Merseyside.

Caughtoffside.com - Breaking Football transfer rumours and Gossip from the English Premier League and beyond