You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Who is to blame for the Henry goal incident?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Who is to blame for the Henry goal incident?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Henry cheated, the linesman made a mistake. Henry to blame.

And if Torres did it, we'd accept it, but, I think, all be a bit ashamed, and Torres might go down (a tiny amount) in our estimation.

A lot of us were very indignant about Ngog the other night - read the various threads.

As for Roy Keane - a friend emailed me with Keane's comments the other day. My response was:

"He's right that Ireland should have finished off France, and I am concerned that IF it were replayed (which I doubt) France would win by about 3-0.

But Roy Keane? Well, he didn't cheat like Henri did. He was a thug, through and through. I still think he should have had a life ban from football for his admission that he went out to seriously injure Alf Inge Haarland, and the way he ended a man's career like that.

He walked out on his country when he was needed - forget all the bulls**t about training facilities.

As much as any, he has contributed (along with all of Ferguson's acolytes) to the state of the game today, where anything goes to get a point.

He's a complete failure as a manager.

A total scumbag with nothing to offer in this debate."

Probably a bit generous to Keane now I re-read that.

This is the crux of the issue for me. It's only murder if the police catch you, right?

Exactly Dave, Henry runs away celebrating to the rest of the frogs, he's delighted he's supplied the cross to get his team through to the finals, "look at me I've just got us throught to the finals". Before he can book his seat there's uproar, so all of a sudden he's mortified that he's been such a naughty boy and he's so, so sorry. Bollocks, he's only sorry he got caught.

Did anyone see that Frog journo on Footy Focus? He got it spot on, "The media in the one country where Henry wants to be loved have turned against him". If it'd've been against the Argies or the Germans the media would've been slapping him on the back and saying how brilliant he is and there's no way he's a cheat.

There was an excellent article on this in the Times this week. The had a freeze frame of the incident and showed where the ref and linesman are at the time harny handles the ball.

Both officials views are blocked by players and they simply were unable to see Henry handle the ball.

As for who's to blame how can anyone say it's anyone bar Henry? No one else deliberately cheated did they?

This has gone on for years and will continue to until players get a 6 match ban for deliberately cheating. As others have said Ngog's dive the other night was shocking but if we qualify for the champions league by a single point I won't give him any shit over it.

Guest davelfc

That means an NFL-style video ref where the coachs get 2 failed challenges per match (to stop them arguing over everything)

Henry would have been caught & yellow-carded once the Irish had appealed so he would not have done it in the 1st place whereas in the current system it was worth his risk as the rewards of a goal if it went undetected were so great.

Agree with most of what you say, it's common sense so has no place on a forum or in football.

But by the time in the game this incident happened, by your idea the irish would have no doubt used up their two challenges so we'd be in exactly the same place we are now but with a pain in the arse video ref system that we'd all be calling useless as well.

• 9 months later...

Apologies for bumping up this thread, (blame it on my recent signup status) but I can't let this comment pass without a response.

Any player always bends the rules to his advantage & it is up to the referee to deal with it.

That has always been the case in all sport.

When football was relatively leniet on dangerous tackling, players were incentivised to kick the shit out of eachother so they did.

Henry's actions were no different to Tommy Smith or Souness clattering an opposition player or St.John laying out a CB.

The Irish CB pairing at Italia '90 (Moran & ??) were the dirtiest in the tournament. I didn't hear the Irish complaining then.

Now that attackers are protected, the incentive is to dive: N'Gog the other night & Gerrard all the time go over very,very easily.

As for handball, how many people want to offer to replay the 2001 FACup Final?

Henchoz was far worse than anything on Wed night.

However it is not just the ref's fault as he cannot be perfect.

A lot of previous cases have been brought up in this thread, and since the incident in Paris, but when somebody comes up with an exact replica of the incident, they are free to comment on how it compares. Assuming they can't the above is all immaterial.

I was in the stadium with our fans that night. When the goal was scored, we were at the opposite end of the stadium and couldn't see what happened. However, that's not our job. That's what referees and officials are paid and trained to spot at this level of the game. Saying they couldn't see it, doesn't cut the mustard, they're supposed to see them. Otherwise, there's no point them been there. Due to FIFA policy, the fans in the stadium were the last to see the incident, as live video replays were unavailable. Despite the worldwide outrage, nobody was punished. When Maradona scored against England, the referee and officials were immediately sent home from the tournament and banned. This time FIFA rewarded the Paris official with a place at the Word Cup instead, even though the tournament had been rendered a joke where one team had qualified by breaking the rules of the game.

I've gone out of UEFA tournaments by offsides not given, I've gone out of cups because of dodgy free/spot kicks, and other assorted injustices down through the years, but I can handle that. But for that to happen, at that time, to decide a spot at the highest level of the sport is appalling. He was kicked out of Barcelona a year early, and thrown on the MLS scrapheap soon afterwards. Let him rot out there.