You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Who is to blame for the Henry goal incident?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Who is to blame for the Henry goal incident?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neither.

I've only seen it once, but I don't see what all the fuss is about. Ref couldn't see it. Henry was just doing what any footballer would do.

Have a listen to Roy Keane's views on it. Funny but accurate.

Yep, just saw it on SSN. Made me laugh.

Can't believe you have only seen it once. They are showing it every 30 seconds on SSN, and that isn't even an exaggeration.

Neither.

I've only seen it once, but I don't see what all the fuss is about. Ref couldn't see it. Henry was just doing what any footballer would do.

My problem with it was not that he deliberately handled it (although that was bad enough) but how he ran away celebrating. He should have realised his error (instinct or not) and at least not celebrated.

At best he should have immediately told the ref to disallow it but again I can understand why he didn't (the pressure on him as captain to see his team to South Africa, the probable end of his international career etc) but for him to run off as if it was a perfectly good goal was way out of order in my opinion.

Probably Henry but I don't see what all the fuss is about as I'm sure most of the Irish lads would have done the same thing.

Does anyone think that the referee would really have disallowed the goal if Henry told hime he handled the ball?

The real issue is that FIFA are going to have to introduce a video ref for all possible penalty appeals / controversial goals. This works in rugby

Probably Henry but I don't see what all the fuss is about as I'm sure most of the Irish lads would have done the same thing.

Does anyone think that the referee would really have disallowed the goal if Henry told hime he handled the ball?

The real issue is that FIFA are going to have to introduce a video ref for all possible penalty appeals / controversial goals. This works in rugby

As a point of clarity I am Irish.............

Neither.

Is this acceptance of blatant cheating as simply 'the way things are' not the very reason these cunts continue to do it ?

I wonder would you not see what all the fuss was about if Rooney did it against Liverpool in extra time of a CL Final ?

The ref. Let's be fucking honest here... Ireland didn't play to the whistle, and France did. That's what happened there.

Henry twice knocked the ball with his hand, and the whistle didn't go. Ireland stopped playing, really, and Gallas had an easy time scoring from like a yard out.

Yes, the handball was absolutely blatant, but the linesman/ref didn't call it.

I'm not saying Henry did something right here, and I'd be furious if I was irish.

Is this acceptance of blatant cheating as simply 'the way things are' not the very reason these cunts continue to do it ?

I wonder would you not see what all the fuss was about if Rooney did it against Liverpool in extra time of a CL Final ?

As your very own Captain Marvellous said, I'd be just as inclined to wonder what my defenders and keeper were playing at. And why they were all so crap in the first leg.

He also mentioned a very dodgy penalty that the Irish got against Georgia (I think) that, as yet, hasn't resulted in a replay.

He did something that was outside the rules. If every player that did that told the ref about it, I can't see football being much of a spectator sport.

Also, my comment about not seeing what all the fuss is about, was more more about the blanket media coverage, calls for replays etc.

You're a four week old baby? Your English and typing skills are amazing.

I wondered who the first would be...

I reckon FIFA should just reverse the result too; no replay or anything, just France out and Ireland in and FIFA saying that any future examples of major cheating will be punished in the same way.

That way cheating picks like Henry might think differently about their actions.

Before this I had as much respect for Henry as I did for any present day footballer (especially a non Liverpool player) but that's gone now - he can get to fuck with the rest of them.

The ref. Let's be fucking honest here... Ireland didn't play to the whistle, and France did. That's what happened there.

Henry twice knocked the ball with his hand, and the whistle didn't go. Ireland stopped playing, really, and Gallas had an easy time scoring from like a yard out.

Yes, the handball was absolutely blatant, but the linesman/ref didn't call it.

I'm not saying Henry did something right here, and I'd be furious if I was irish.

No way. It all happened so quickly there was no time for anyone to anything at all, either stop playing or trying to stop the French. Both Henry and Gallas were within a yard of the goal, no Irish players stopped at all.

Watch it in real time, not slow motion!

No way. It all happened so quickly there was no time for anyone to anything at all, either stop playing or trying to stop the French. Both Henry and Gallas were within a yard of the goal, no Irish players stopped at all.

I'll go watch it again and get back to you in a minute.

Before Henry crossed the ball in, Given was looking at the ref, and both Irish defenders are standing there with their hands up.

That's before the CROSS.

Match Highlights

My problem with it was not that he deliberately handled it (although that was bad enough) but how he ran away celebrating. He should have realised his error (instinct or not) and at least not celebrated.

At best he should have immediately told the ref to disallow it but again I can understand why he didn't (the pressure on him as captain to see his team to South Africa, the probable end of his international career etc) but for him to run off as if it was a perfectly good goal was way out of order in my opinion.

Thats the thing that got me the most also. I kind of agree with some of the ex-players theory that its instinct at the time, and fair enough players do and will get away with such things. But the way he ran of celebrating was a disgrace and if I had of been Dunne after the match I would have choked him when he came over and put his arm round me saying sorry. He wouldn't have been reading the headlines the next morning!! Yes I am Irish.