You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nazi Germany/Israel spot the difference?

taliesin08

5 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

This is the most common form of holocaust denial, minimisation. More Jews were killed in two days at Babi Yar than the total number of people who have died in the whole of the current conflict. It’s not comparable but by making the comparison, the narrator minimises the holocaust as just another war or massacre. It’s a common tactic amongst deniers but it’s still pretty shocking to see it on the Gf. 

Are you fucking kidding me??? How is it minimising the holocaust? Israel are trying to wipe Palestine off the face of the earth what part of that is minimising anything???? 

I don’t particularly like the comparison myself but let’s have it right, Israel are committing mass murder and war crimes. It’s you there minimising what’s happening in Palestine not the other way round 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

This is the most common form of holocaust denial, minimisation. More Jews were killed in two days at Babi Yar than the total number of people who have died in the whole of the current conflict. It’s not comparable but by making the comparison, the narrator minimises the holocaust as just another war or massacre. It’s a common tactic amongst deniers but it’s still pretty shocking to see it on the Gf. 

It's also completely unnecessary: any war crimes, atrocities and even genocides are appalling enough to be condensed in their own right, without any ham-fisted attempts at historical comparisons.

Like I’ve said I don’t like the comparison to nazis myself but they can’t pick and choose what to get outraged at while condoning genocide they’re committing. Fuck me kids are being starved and blown up yet Rachel Riley claiming to be scared of getting her Starbucks gets more fucking press. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

“could”

”taking into account the overall context”

Personally, I don’t find the comparisons between Israeli slaughter in Gaza and the holocaust to be particularly helpful.

While they both involve the brutal, intentional and targeted slaughter of innocents because of their ethnicity there’s definitely a distinction that needs to be drawn between the slaughter of thousands by bombing and shooting etc and the rounding up of people on a scale never seen before or since to transport them to death camps where they were then killed on an industrial scale. 

So, I’d say the IHRA definition would be satisfied if making a comparison between the murderous actions of Israel and the murderous actions of the Nazis - the holocaust. 

But, I’d disagree that all comparisons between the current Israeli government and the Nazis - two right wing, nationalist, racist regimes - are automatically antisemitic. 

I don’t think that the IHRA definition goes that far, in its wording. The late, great Hajo Meyer, in his book The End of Judaism: An Ethical Tradition Betrayed, thinks that a comparison between contemporary Israeli politics and Nazi Germany (pre the commencement of the “final solution”) is a legitimate one. And a comparison that should be openly discussed. He provides many examples of why the comparison is legitimate - all of which stand up to scrutiny. 

I repeat my stance on the unhelpful comparisons between the holocaust and the heinous actions of Israel. But, that aside, if Israelis find the more general comparison with Nazism to be offensive, the best way to avoid it is to elect a non-right wing government that doesn’t (in some ways) act like Nazis. 

7 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

The comparisons are best avoided because at worst they're anti-Semitic and at best they detract attention from valid condemnation of the actions of the genocidal bastards in the Netanyahu regime.

Yeah fair enough. 

Nazi is a word that immediately signifies evil, its the go to word when you want to describe the very worst of man kind. The actions of Israel right now are the very worst of man of kind. If Netanyahu could kill every person in Gaza he would, members of his government have said as much. If they could nuke the place without damaging Israel or leaving the land uninhabitable for Israelis, then they would, I don't doubt for a second they would do it if they could.

The numbers are incomparable to this genocide but that's only because of the size of gaza. They're running out of women to slaughter and babies to starve. Maybe their Nazi moment will come when they get a shot at Iran, millions of human shields they can wipe out there. 

2 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

The comparisons are best avoided because at worst they're anti-Semitic and at best they detract attention from valid condemnation of the actions of the genocidal bastards in the Netanyahu regime.

Except it's not just the Netanyahu regime is it.

And it also doesn't help that the filthy zionists use the holocaust and 'anti-semitism' as cover to justify their own genocidal actions.

The comparison should be avoided if for nothing else because it gives right wing twats an excuse to pretend Israel is the victim now. 

A barbaric, racist regime is slaughtering women and children in an attempt to carry out ethnic cleansing. 

Leave the comparisons with the Nazis to be made by Jewish people. It's far more powerful.

• Upvote 5

Because of historical links between modern day Israel and it's homing of significant amounts of Holocaust survivors links will obviously be drawn,no doubt some by actual survivors and their families. The Genocide that happened in places such as Rwanda could also be mentioned but it wouldn't fit with any easy historical links between the differing viewpoints. Slaughter is Slaughter however you excuse those actions.

4 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

The comparison should be avoided if for nothing else because it gives right wing twats an excuse to pretend Israel is the victim now. 

A barbaric, racist regime is slaughtering women and children in an attempt to carry out ethnic cleansing. 

Leave the comparisons with the Nazis to be made by Jewish people. It's far more powerful.

100% this.

I think a more apt concept is that those who do not learn from the lessons of history are doomed to repeat it, whether those lessons come from Nazi Germany, the killing fields of Cambodia, or Rwanda.

The Israeli government and military forces have clearly learnt nothing. Genocide is genocide whether you achieve it through concentration camps, bullets, machetes or bombs.

12 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Fair points but as others have said it goes far deeper than the Netanyahu regime. As explained here by Gideon Levy. 

as other have stated more eloquently,its not a helpful compaison to make. (jairz put it perfectly)

I think whats more interesting is that given the right set of circumstances,any country could do what nazi germany did.

its certainly not beyond the realms of possibility here,where we have politicians openly wantimg refugess to drown.

1 hour ago, Arniepie said:

as other have stated more eloquently,its not a helpful compaison to make. (jairz put it perfectly)

I think whats more interesting is that given the right set of circumstances,any country could do what nazi germany did.

its certainly not beyond the realms of possibility here,where we have politicians openly wantimg refugess to drown.

It's certainly been made a lot easier now America and Israel have said international law has no leverage. 

6 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

You can compare any cunts to Nazis though, it's easy, you could say it about - erm - Rwanda, who were macheteing each other not long ago for being hootoos and tootsies and what have you. 

I think what the nazis did, is regarded as as almost unique,in its barbarity.

as an aside id never really witnessed true anti semitism,until I ventuted onto twitter.

8 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

You can compare any cunts to Nazis though, it's easy, you could say it about - erm - Rwanda, who were macheteing each other not long ago for being hootoos and tootsies and what have you. 

Or you could mention Darfur.

r/Israel - Guide to past genocides, 21st century wars, and visualisation of how wrongful current genocide accusations are - upd.

6 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

I think what the nazis did, is regarded as as almost unique,in its barbarity.

as an aside id never really witnessed true anti semitism,until I ventuted onto twitter.

Deffo, on the cunt charts there's still no topping the nazis, massive cunts.