You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

On 21/08/2021 at 20:10, Anubis said:

Demonic - 6.5/10. Demonic possession from a sci-fi angle as opposed to horror. An attempt to do something different with possession that is entertaining enough but doesn’t stand out from a crowded field. Which is a shame as there is a decent central concept there but Blomkamp doesn’t bring his A Game to proceedings.

One of the recent Joe Rogan podcasts is with Blomkamp, almost three hours long and really interesting conversations. 

He talks about him nearly getting to gig to direct an Alien movie and his idea of it being a follow on from Aliens with the main character being Newt who would be in her mid 20's, Weaver on board also. That would have been good I reckon.

On 30/08/2021 at 20:19, Red74 said:

Looper

finally got round to watching this last night as it’s one of those films I’ve always wanted to see, but then spent the next 20 minutes looking for something else.

Anyway, boss little movie but I kept thinking they’d brought another actor in for Joseph Gordon Levitt as he didn’t look the same person as the movie progressed.

Turns out they put prosthetics on his face so he looked like a young Bruce Willis. Now I remember Bruce from back in his moonlighting days and he sure as shit didn’t look anything like this. 

Still trying to work out how Bruce comes back twice after already escaping once.

7/10

Hugely underrated film that

21 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Can’t find links on Kodi to the People Just Do Nothing movie. Pissing me off. Neither my bird nor my lad has watched the show so if I want to watch it at the pictures I’ll have to go on my own. Fuck that. 

Just started watching the series, wasn't keen at first but it's growing one. Chabuddy G is hilarious, definitely steals every scene he's in.

Just go cinema on your own. It's therapeutic, just don't watch any kids films or you'll look like a nonce.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Elite said:

Just started watching the series, wasn't keen at first but it's growing one. Chabuddy G is hilarious, definitely steals every scene he's in.

Just go cinema on your own. It's therapeutic, just don't watch any kids films or you'll look like a nonce.

And don't go wearing a mask in case you're worried about people recognising you. It makes the kids a bit nervous, the fucking bedwetters.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Elite said:

Only watched it myself the other week. I’ve got the song they make in the series on my Spotify. I was driving home on the M6 the other day and it came on the stereo. I was dancing around in the front shouting “BANG, LYRICAL BLOW TO THE JAW” while my kids were sat in the back wishing they could be absolutely anywhere else in the world.  

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Only watched it myself the other week. I’ve got the song they make in the series on my Spotify. I was driving home on the M6 the other day and it came on the stereo. I was dancing around in the front shouting “BANG, LYRICAL BLOW TO THE JAW” while my kids were sat in the back wishing they could be absolutely anywhere else in the world.  

Just watched another episode. Season 2 episode 2, definitely think season 2 is a massive improvement on the first season. Proper laughing at it now.

Just now, Elite said:

Just watched another episode. Season 2 episode 2, definitely think season 2 is a massive improvement on the first season. Proper laughing at it now.

Definitely mate. Once it gets going it’s superb. First show in a while that I remember properly belly laughing at. Probably the funniest thing I’ve seen since I watched Always Sunny, which I was even later to. 14 years late, to be precise. 

2 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Definitely mate. Once it gets going it’s superb. First show in a while that I remember properly belly laughing at. Probably the funniest thing I’ve seen since I watched Always Sunny, which I was even later to. 14 years late, to be precise. 

Have you ever watched Silicon Valley, that's proper funny as well. Not many are these days.

22 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Can’t find links on Kodi to the People Just Do Nothing movie. Pissing me off. Neither my bird nor my lad has watched the show so if I want to watch it at the pictures I’ll have to go on my own. Fuck that. 

I've just twigged how ironic it is that you can't get a pirated stream for a show based around piracy.

• Upvote 1

Fear Street Part 1: 1994.

I'm a horror fan, though not massively into slashers. This was good though, I enjoyed it and the songs/90s setting. The whole Goonies/teen gang is always a good set up. Some lovely eye candy too. It was a bit long and I did lose concentration a couple of times but generally speaking was entertaining popcorn film watching with some gruesome kills. 

6.5/10.

Fear Street Part 2: 1978.

Here we go - 70s set slasher, great music, 70s fashion (short shorts) and more eye candy. Preferred this to the first part. The lead girl (ginger from Stranger Things) basically played her character from Stranger Things, but nothing wrong with that. Overall I enjoyed this more in the one setting (US summer camp). Really gets going once the killer appears. 

8/10.

Fear Street Part 3: 1666.

A move away from the slasher variety of the first two in the trilogy and into oldy worldy witchcraft and small village paranoia. The accents were a bit off-putting (why Irish?) but again enjoyable and quite a bit darker than the previous two installments. The last third of the film circles back on itself for a pretty satisfying conclusion to the whole thing. 

7/10.

Overall trilogy score - 7.5/10

Very enjoyable set of films if you like horror. The big down vote would be the visuals - Christ it was dark, I could barely see the first film. Ended up watching the second two on the iPad pro in HD. Seems the UHD darkened the picture. Overall - Recommended. 

MV5BNzQzYjIyZDQtMjBhZS00MzU3LTk0MTQtNTVmMDI3ZWY0ZWU3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkxNjUyNQ@@._V1_.jpg

MV5BOTQxMWNiZmYtOGUzMi00OGU5LTkzMjctYWY4ZmJkZjZiYWI5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDM2NDM2MQ@@._V1_.jpg

Fear_Street,_Part_Three_-_1666_teaser_poster.png

MV5BZTA2N2E0OTUtMzU2Yy00NDRlLTgyMDUtMzBlOGJkNThhNjYzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkxNjUyNQ@@._V1_.jpg

38 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Fear Street Part 1: 1994.

I'm a horror fan, though not massively into slashers. This was good though, I enjoyed it and the songs/90s setting. The whole Goonies/teen gang is always a good set up. Some lovely eye candy too. It was a bit long and I did lose concentration a couple of times but generally speaking was entertaining popcorn film watching with some gruesome kills. 

6.5/10.

Fear Street Part 2: 1978.

Here we go - 70s set slasher, great music, 70s fashion (short shorts) and more eye candy. Preferred this to the first part. The lead girl (ginger from Stranger Things) basically played her character from Stranger Things, but nothing wrong with that. Overall I enjoyed this more in the one setting (US summer camp). Really gets going once the killer appears. 

8/10.

Fear Street Part 3: 1666.

A move away from the slasher variety of the first two in the trilogy and into oldy worldy witchcraft and small village paranoia. The accents were a bit off-putting (why Irish?) but again enjoyable and quite a bit darker than the previous two installments. The last third of the film circles back on itself for a pretty satisfying conclusion to the whole thing. 

7/10.

Overall trilogy score - 7.5/10

Very enjoyable set of films if you like horror. The big down vote would be the visuals - Christ it was dark, I could barely see the first film. Ended up watching the second two on the iPad pro in HD. Seems the UHD darkened the picture. Overall - Recommended. 

MV5BNzQzYjIyZDQtMjBhZS00MzU3LTk0MTQtNTVmMDI3ZWY0ZWU3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkxNjUyNQ@@._V1_.jpg

MV5BOTQxMWNiZmYtOGUzMi00OGU5LTkzMjctYWY4ZmJkZjZiYWI5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDM2NDM2MQ@@._V1_.jpg

Fear_Street,_Part_Three_-_1666_teaser_poster.png

MV5BZTA2N2E0OTUtMzU2Yy00NDRlLTgyMDUtMzBlOGJkNThhNjYzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkxNjUyNQ@@._V1_.jpg

I'll take a look at those, cheers hombre.

Jungle Cruise - Fun, throwaway stuff with two good leads, some wobbly CGI and dicey editing. It's based on a fairly prosaic ride and it's for a family audience so it ticks all of those boxes. With a bit more focus and probably less filmmaking by committee it could have been a lot more. 6 out of 10.

A Quiet Place Part II - Carries on from the excellent first movie and it doesn't fall into the "more is more" trap that many sequels do. Enjoyable and tense. 8 out of 10.

Wonder Woman 1984 - Bit of a mess with Pedro Pascal enjoying himself enormously but Kristen Wiig has a thankless role playing a part that's been done to death in comic book movies going all the way back to Batman Forever. It's too long, the Steve Trevor return is morally awkward and for large parts of the film it's like a cartoon '80s convention but... I did enjoy it even though by any metric of blockbuster filmmaking it basically stumbles or hits a wall. So 6.5 out of 10

• Like 1

Yesterday

I should’ve hated this. Richard Curtis, Ed fucking Sheeran - who is a terrible actor even playing himself - shit versions of Beatles songs.

The plot is one idea with no exploring of the premise at all.

But I actually quite enjoyed it. The John Lennon bit is weird as hell though.

6/10