You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Caught up on a few recent films over the Easter:

Tomorrowland -  It's for kids. Switched off after ten minutes. No score.

Stare Trek, Beyond -  Formulaic to the point of self-parody. Co-written by Simon Pegg: Shaun of the Dead seems soooo long ago. 4/10. 

Nebraska - Haha, With this and Hateful 8, Bruce Dern has cornered the market for playing cantankerous, obnoxious old duffers. Starts slow then builds into a brilliant picture of a man's life and how he touched those in his mid-west home town. It's a beautiful film, both visually and emotionally. And it's got Bob Odenkirk in it as well 8.36/10 

Agreed. 'Nebraska' was superbly human as was 'The Descendants'. As are all of Alexander Payne's films. 'Election' and 'About Schmidt' being my most-loved. Perhaps the most lauded of his works 'Sideways' is my least favourite.

Nebraska.

Only watched it because of the reviews in here, but thanks to The Mighty GF cos I loved it.

Bruce Dern is brilliant, so too is his son and especially his acerbic old trout missus. Shot in black and white and so much better for it, the cinematography and big Mid-Western vistas are quite beautifully shot and framed. Oddly enough, some of the picture framing reminded me very much of Better Call Saul; coincidental because Bob Odenkirk has another cracking little turn in this.

Reminded me of one of my favourite ever films, The Straight Story, and the ending was quite wonderful.

A big 9 from me.

The Shallows

Fit girl does some surfing and then bitey the shark wants to eat her

I actually enjoyed it . 7 jaws out of 10

Watched this with my lad last night. Seen some terrible reviews but as we're both on our sick beds and where both wanting the nod off the Mrs to stay off work / school I thought Id do the fatherly thing and let him stay up late to scare him.  

As someone whose petrified of the sea, I was seriously feeling the tension here right until the end when they must have ran out of shark budget and employed the stand in shark from the Sharknado movies. Couldn't believe how bad the quality seriously dropped off as it'd been a decent little movie that had us both lifting our feet off the floor in case the shark was under the couch.

I'm gonna give this a 6 Katy Perry dancing sharks out of 10 (would have gave it 7 if the terribly acted beach scene had been left out) 

Watched this with my lad last night. Seen some terrible reviews but as we're both on our sick beds and where both wanting the nod off the Mrs to stay off work / school I thought Id do the fatherly thing and let him stay up late to scare him.  

As someone whose petrified of the sea, I was seriously feeling the tension here right until the end when they must have ran out of shark budget and employed the stand in shark from the Sharknado movies. Couldn't believe how bad the quality seriously dropped off as it'd been a decent little movie that had us both lifting our feet off the floor in case the shark was under the couch.

I'm gonna give this a 6 Katy Perry dancing sharks out of 10 (would have gave it 7 if the terribly acted beach scene had been left out) 

It was OK until it totally jumped the shark late on. Or to be more accurate, when the CGI shark jumped through a hoop whilst on fire. 

It was OK until it totally jumped the shark late on. Or to be more accurate, when the CGI shark jumped through a hoop whilst on fire. 

hahaha, wish id have said that. Tell you what tho, I reckon id have ate Steven seagull. Needs must and he was the weakest member like

Kamiko - The Treasure Hunter

Really odd (mostly) Japanese film about the eponymous Kamiko, a lonely young woman who discovers a dodgy VHS copy of Fargo and believes it an actual treasure map.

Very eccentric but actually a really tender study of loneliness and depression, beautifully acted by the lass who plays Kamiko, who try as she might, can't hide the fact that's she's hot as fuck.

If you like Fargo then there's a good chance you'll enjoy this too. A little gem.

8\10 with subs.

Exodus on Kodi.

• Upvote 1

I watched that film Threads from the 80's for the first time last weekend, just because of all the North Korea business. Harrowing isn't the word. Should be required viewing for all world leaders. 

9/10 but not nice to watch at all.

• Upvote 1

The Descendants.

A very strange film about love, loss, grief, coming of age, a love letter to Hawaii.

Very funny in places, some great acting in places, counter balanced with an unhealthy dose of cynicism.

8/10

Exodus

The Descendants is a brilliant film.

Watched Get Out yesterday as there is now a 720p version on Kodi. Was a crappy cam copy previously.

Weird as fuck, but psychological masterpiece.

Watched it on Sat night. Very good film. Basically knew what was going to happen but it played out well.

8/10.