You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Update:

name: Nick

hailing from: Thuthex

living in: Thuthex

loving: you all (apart from some)

hating: *F

currently reading: The Perfect Storm

christmas wish list: A good frying pan

at this moment I should really be: Designing record stickers

I just don't read books. Does that make me thick?

It means you're cutting down your options pretty radically. If you read a bit of Hamlet or Macbeth then you can appreciate why the final Stringer/Barksdale twists can be described as Shakespearian. He's all over that sort if shit is Bill.

Nope, but you certainly run the risk if you let it continue. Don't you even read ones about war and shit?

Yeah I read none-fiction, and behind the scenes/making of TV and film books, but I just can't be arsed with fiction. I've read a few and none of them have ever made a major impression on me.

I'm dyslexic and I think the actual physical act of reading - while not 'difficult' as such, still feels like a chore when it's just pages and pages of black words on white paper.

I just don't read books. Does that make me thick?

No. The concept of reading books meaning someone has intelligence is one of the great myths of modern culture. Many people read books to make themselves feel intelligent and the best end result is generally a feeble regurgitation of someone elses thought processes. I'm not knowcking book reading but I am knocking why most people do it and what they really get out of it.

It means you're cutting down your options pretty radically. If you read a bit of Hamlet or Macbeth then you can appreciate why the final Stringer/Barksdale twists can be described as Shakespearian. He's all over that sort if shit is Bill.

Could you be so kind as to ellaborate on that, Mr Monty?

Could you be so kind as to ellaborate on that, Mr Monty?

The tragedy element of the two former close friends both trying to do each other in. The underhand plotting. It definietely flagged up similarities to the Rosencrantz & Guildenstern or Laertes stories in Hamlet. That scene towards the end of the third series where they are both looking back on old times and agreeing that what was now happening was "only business" was really classic tragedy.

I might be mixing things up here, but isn't it easier for a dyslexic to read if they put some coloured filter thing over the paper first, or better still if it's printed on coloured paper?

You could adapt some 3d specs to do the trick too probably.

Fuck's sake, you could be the next big novelist, and it's only some bits of coloured cellophane standing between you and millions of pounds.

Too much like hard work that.

I think it's also a concentration span issue with me, I can't devote that level of attention to anything for any considerable period of time. All my uni notes are covered in drawings. Fuck knows how I passed my degree, seriously.

How will you know that it is interesting if you don't read it?

I said I would read educational books now, but not fiction.

Give me a few examples of wisdom that have made you see life in a different perspective because you have read something in a book, not educational.

Especially am I interested in theories and ideas I would not be able to get knowledge about without reading it in that book.

After 7,5 years with Uni studies, including 1,5 year studying history, I feel I have most of the bases covered, especially as this was my field in my 3 years at college as well.

If I want to be told a story I watch a movie, I read two papers a day, I watch TV and I spend my time on the internet which a find a lot more interesting as I can challenge thoughts straight away on forums like this.

If I was on a travel I might read a book again, but to be honest I feel I get more out of watching people and talking to people than start reading 200+ pages of fiction, maybe its because I`m easily bored who knows, but this is how I see it.

Neg me like someone did because of it or even better try to convince me I`m wrong.

The tragedy element of the two former close friends both trying to do each other in. The underhand plotting. It definietely flagged up similarities to the Rosencrantz & Guildenstern or Laertes stories in Hamlet. That scene towards the end of the third series where they are both looking back on old times and agreeing that what was now happening was "only business" was really classic tragedy.

Ace.

Do you know of any good articles/essays on The Wire? Proper analysis type shit?

"Fuck them shakespearian m'fuckers- cos in B-more, we aim to hit a nigga ya heard?"

Give me a few examples of wisdom that have made you see life in a different perspective because you have read something in a book, not educational.

It needn't be about that. Reading a good book can just be about having fun. Like watching a good film, or listening to good music.

It needn't be about that. Reading a good book can just be about having fun. Like watching a good film, or listening to good music.

I know, but I will never find the time to read a book as I think other things gives me more.

I also like to finish things when I start them and with books thats usually difficult.

Especially am I interested in theories and ideas I would not be able to get knowledge about without reading it in that book.

After 7,5 years with Uni studies, including 1,5 year studying history, I feel I have most of the bases covered, especially as this was my field in my 3 years at college as well.

If I want to be told a story I watch a movie, I read two papers a day, I watch TV and I spend my time on the internet which a find a lot more interesting as I can challenge thoughts straight away on forums like this.

If I was on a travel I might read a book again, but to be honest I feel I get more out of watching people and talking to people than start reading 200+ pages of fiction, maybe its because I`m easily bored who knows, but this is how I see it.

Neg me like someone did because of it or even better try to convince me I`m wrong.

Hi there.

You studied history and you don't enjoy fictional works? What's wrong with you? Half of the fun of reading, for me, is pulling connections between fiction and historical events/civilisations. Almost all fictional books that aren't based in modern times are either comical historical blunders, or masterful works that utilise historical civilisations/events to shape their story/setting.

I studied classical history because modern history is rubbish (exceptions being world war II and Napolean, that short little bastard was fucking ace).

You write the above - then quote Aristotle in your sig - odd - not a non-fiction writer he, but a theorizer and philosopher, usually using parable or poetic simile to illustrate his ideas.

You watch films? Course you do - they are mostly fiction, which means someone has had to write them and often they are sourced from a book - and anyone can tell you, even with a great film - the book is better. I've read a libraries worth throughout life, and the ideas, examples, emotional pulls and expansion of various narratives and situations, atmospheres - have affected me deeply over 50 odd years - far too many times and in too many ways, often subtle ones - to just list them arbitrarily. Apart from which it expands your imagination and develops your thought processes, approaches to logic, reason, causality and understanding just for a kick off.

Books are better than films as your brain isn't working to a budget, some hack isn't directing it and it's not stuffed with piss-poor method actors.

You studied history and you don't enjoy fictional works? What's wrong with you? Half of the fun of reading, for me, is pulling connections between fiction and historical events/civilisations. Almost all fictional books that aren't based in modern times are either comical historical blunders, or masterful works that utilise historical civilisations/events to shape their story/setting.

I studied classical history because modern history is rubbish (exceptions being world war II and Napolean, that short little bastard was fucking ace).

Modern History rules!

If you get nothing from fiction you might be reading the wrong kind of stuff.

Have you read any Kafka, Herman Hesse, Sartre? Have you read Walkabout, 1984, Brave New World? Damn, I'm trying to think of some fiction I've read that I HAVEN'T learnt from.

Have you read any Kafka, Herman Hesse, Sartre? Have you read Walkabout, 1984, Brave New World? Damn, I'm trying to think of some fiction I've read that I HAVEN'T learnt from.

Well quite - few of my favourites there - add in Genet, Grass, Gide Dostoyevsky, Mann (Heinrich or Thomas - 'Little Herr Friedmann' is a short masterpiece), Dickens, Graves, Turgenev, Sokolhov...

Well quite - few of my favourites there - add in Genet, Grass, Gide Dostoyevsky, Mann (Heinrich or Thomas - 'Little Herr Friedmann' is a short masterpiece), Dickens, Graves, Turgenev, Sokolhov...

here's one - combine fact, biography and narrative - Robert Graves' 'Goodbye to all that' centred around his experiences as an officer in the trenches.