You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Owen

Stouffer

I don't understand how people are willing to welcome back Owen like a long lost son yet gave abuse to Gerrard.

In case anyone has forgotten, Owen DID what Gerrard only CONSIDERED doing.

Hear hear,

but your quote about Brian Clough was a bit lame IMO. Clough got relegated something like 15 yeasr after winning ol bg ears so to say it was with the same team I am not surprised they went doen. Big Larry Lloyd done alright o play on into his fifties ;)

I dont want owen back, his england carrer comes before his club and that his not healthy for us at all. There does seem to be a lot of hypocrisy going on at the moment on here in regards to SG and Owen. SG stayed and I am still not happy with the way everything was done, Im glad he stayed but i am in the collective that will only start chanting his name when he has proved where his head is at. If Owen qould even consider playing for scum then taht says everything about him. Woudl you ever see Fowler playing for the scum,

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stevie G wasn't turned on just because he thought about leaving, it was because of his whole attitude over the last 14 months. It's stunk.

Owen never rocked the boat the way Stevie did, nor did he take the piss out of the fans the same way stevie did. He moved on for what he thought was a better career move at the time. I'm indifferent at the minute as to whether or not we should take him back as I don't think centre-forward/striker is the position we should be paying the most attention to.

What I don't agree with, though - is the 'he gets what he deserves' mantra that's floating about. Owen was never anything less than professional for us and proved he can single-handedly win games for us on many occasion. Who else in our squad can currently do that? If we take him back it should be for the good of the club and I don't think you can say his attitude or commitment would be a risky parameter within the deal.

He's a good pro who made a mistake, if we paid £11 million for him it might actually turn out cheaper than if we'd made him sign an extension as he won't get the wages from us that we'd have offered in order for him to stay.

Anyone who comes on here saying Rafa doesn't rate this and Rafa doesn't rate that is purely guessing or going on second-hand information.

Stevie G wasn't turned on just because he thought about leaving, it was because of his whole attitude over the last 14 months. It's stunk.

Owen never rocked the boat the way Stevie did, nor did he take the piss out of the fans the same way stevie did. He moved on for what he thought was a better career move at the time. I'm indifferent at the minute as to whether or not we should take him back as I don't think centre-forward/striker is the position we should be paying the most attention to.

What I don't agree with, though - is the 'he gets what he deserves' mantra that's floating about. Owen was never anything less than professional for us and proved he can single-handedly win games for us on many occasion. Who else in our squad can currently do that? If we take him back it should be for the good of the club and I don't think you can say his attitude or commitment would be a risky parameter within the deal.

He's a good pro who made a mistake, if we paid £11 million for him it might actually turn out cheaper than if we'd made him sign an extension as he won't get the wages from us that we'd have offered in order for him to stay.

Anyone who comes on here saying Rafa doesn't rate this and Rafa doesn't rate that is purely guessing or going on second-hand information.

Fair point. But if Rafa wanted him would he not be sounding it out publicly. I honestly dont want him back, and I dont understand this 25 goals a season argument. when was the last time he got 25 goals in season. Any one have the stats for that season

What I don't agree with, though - is the 'he gets what he deserves' mantra that's floating about. Owen was never anything less than professional for us and proved he can single-handedly win games for us on many occasion.

Way off the mark there - don't you remember HIS mantra ? - "I'll be signing a new contract very soon" - was saying that for about eighteen months until Rafa called his bluff. He managed to make up his mind about a contract pretty damn quickly when madrid came calling.

And don't you remember the number of chances he missed in the season before he left and his half-arsed attitude ? He was interviewed shortly after arriving at madrid and more or less admitted he couldn't be bothered at LFC because it wasn't a 'challenge' anymore.

He demonstrated a lack of faith in Rafa's ability to turn the team around and figured he could do better elsewhere. So long sucka - would love it if Crouchie takes his engerland place too !

Way off the mark there - don't you remember HIS mantra ? - "I'll be signing a new contract very soon" - was saying that for about eighteen months until Rafa called his bluff. He managed to make up his mind about a contract pretty damn quickly when madrid came calling.

And don't you remember the number of chances he missed in the season before he left and his half-arsed attitude ? He was interviewed shortly after arriving at madrid and more or less admitted he couldn't be bothered at LFC because it wasn't a 'challenge' anymore.

He demonstrated a lack of faith in Rafa's ability to turn the team around and figured he could do better elsewhere. So long sucka - would love it if Crouchie takes his engerland place too !

Spot on. His body language screamed "get me out of here" in his final 2 seasons, and I find that hard to forgive. He may not have come out with crass comments in public the way Gerrard did, but actions speak louder than words and it was plain to see that he was not up for it anymore. And to engineer his contract situation so that Madrid could get him for a fraction of his true worth as a footballer was a disgrace.

If he joins the Mancs knowing how every Liverpool fan would feel about that, then he will deserve all the stick that will come his way. The final insult.

Spot on. His body language screamed "get me out of here" in his final 2 seasons, and I find that hard to forgive. He may not have come out with crass comments in public the way Gerrard did, but actions speak louder than words and it was plain to see that he was not up for it anymore. And to engineer his contract situation so that Madrid could get him for a fraction of his true worth as a footballer was a disgrace.

If he joins the Mancs knowing how every Liverpool fan would feel about that, then he will deserve all the stick that will come his way. The final insult.

Spot on!

Thats how i feel...and the "he was never a red" dosnt mean anything. he had been here since he was 14 and he owed the club more. At any time he could have said that he wanted to seek new challenges, and he would have been allowed to leave. But he screwed us over in the way that he left the club in a no win situation. His agent setting a new world record in holiday time! He knew that he wanted to lesve, still he came out saying that he would sign shortly! Gerrard at least told the truth, he was considering a move!

I dont want Owen back. And i dont think we need him!

I'll be very surprised if Crouch makes the England World Cup squad.

I wont.

Not saying Crouch is a world beater. But history is full of exampls that players as soon as they join a big club their in, and if they leave, they`re out!

Phil Neville playing for Aston Villa would never have won a cap. Louis Saha...as soon as he joined man U, he was awarded with a call up. Heskey, had a better season than his two previous, but since he joined birmingham, he have been mostly overlooked. At Liverpool he was a regular! Etc.

If Crouch performs for Liverpool as he did for soton, he will be in!

Guest spanishkopite07
Personally, I think Rafa doesn't rate Michael Owen as I'm sure Dave U would agree.....oh fuck it.

If the only club who wants him or can afford him is Man Utd then he'll just have to accept it. And stay in Madrid.

Where is this Rafa doesn't rate Owen coming from, i seem to remember Rafa trying to keep him when he took over & owen saying he would stay only 2 go 2 Real.Now he has been shafted by the galacticos and although we would like to have him,he is not priority as we need to strenghten defence and right side of midfield with less funds.Madrid got him of us 4 £8mil and want to sell 4 16 which we haven't got. He would risk the wrath of the KOP if he joined the scum though.

Where is this Rafa doesn't rate Owen coming from, i seem to remember Rafa trying to keep him when he took over & owen saying he would stay only 2 go 2 Real.Now he has been shafted by the galacticos and although we would like to have him,he is not priority as we need to strenghten defence and right side of midfield with less funds.Madrid got him of us 4 £8mil and want to sell 4 16 which we haven't got. He would risk the wrath of the KOP if he joined the scum though.

It isn't always about ability though as Owen as a goalscorer is not up for discussion. It would be more to do with attitude. I have no idea what Rafa thinks of Owen, but if he doesn't want him i would think it would be more to do with loyalty and personality than ability.

It was a joke as I'm sure Red Nick would agree :yes:

And you blame me for everyone thinking you an alkey? ;)

Isn't it fair to say that like Winston Churchill, NP has taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of him?

PS Owen can sod off. Especially if he goes to Manchester United. It would be the ultimate betrayal. DS

Guest Brian Stewart

Owen isn't as good as say 3 years ago, but could still do an excellent job for us - or anyone else. Don't really want him back after the way he treated us, but....

I think a lot of us would prefer to see him back rather than damaging us while playing for eg the mancs or arsenal. By damaging us, I don't mean scoring the winner against us twice in a season, but helping his club to pip us for the title even if we have our best season since 1990.

Don't really want him back, but am still concerned with the lack of goals from our forwards. If we can gurantee loads of goals from Cisse, Morientes, Crouch, Baros/Mellor/AN Other, then we don't need him, and would probably have the firepower to see off Owen and his new club.

Ideal solution - he stays at Real, or goes to any club not in the Premiership.

Completely agree. I read in the Daily Post that "Owen to Highbury would see him join a team with title aspirations, and do nothing to hurt his relationship with Liverpool fans". What? Personally I hate Arsenal more than the mancs, that is probably the way I was brought up, my Dad has been bearing a grudge since 1950, but him joining them, mancs or the chavs would be equally bad imo.

I don't remember seeing Owen's name on any banners in Istanbul. Yet I have seen King Kenny, Rush, and Fowler immortalised.

We were priviledged to witness some amazing football from Owen but he is a career footballer and always has been. His relationship with Liverpool FC was one of mutual respect between business partners. There was never the love affair that existed with Robbie, and the emotion we see now with Carra and Stevie G.

Micheal Owen wants to play for England. Which club puts him the limelight enough to achive that is irrelevant to him.

I feel nothing that he wants to go to the Mancs. Rafa was given first refusal (it would appear) and refused. I wish the lad well but let him go. And when he comes back to Anfield with them y'think Carra doesn't know how to handle him?

Owen isn't as good as say 3 years ago, but could still do an excellent job for us - or anyone else. Don't really want him back after the way he treated us, but....

I think a lot of us would prefer to see him back rather than damaging us while playing for eg the mancs or arsenal. By damaging us, I don't mean scoring the winner against us twice in a season, but helping his club to pip us for the title even if we have our best season since 1990.

Don't really want him back, but am still concerned with the lack of goals from our forwards. If we can gurantee loads of goals from Cisse, Morientes, Crouch, Baros/Mellor/AN Other, then we don't need him, and would probably have the firepower to see off Owen and his new club.

Spot on, exactly what I think. I would take him back tomorrow because of his quality, but its not going to happen. I dont think he would have any second thoughts about joining Utd if they were the only interested English party (or if it was them or Newcastle!!)

He does what he considers best for himself, which is all well and good for everone except us.

If he joins Utd, we will suffer. That doesnt mean we should spend money earmarked for other places on him to stop it though.

Owen wants to become an England hero, remembered in the same way as Bobby Moore, Charlton or Lineker. I dont think he cares where he plays to acheive it.

Robbie Fowler wanted to be a liverpool hero, but will never be remembered for anything to do with England. I think we will find that in 50 years time, Owen is remembered as the great England striker and record goalscorer who was a fans favourite at a host of clubs including Liverpool, Madrid, Man Utd and many more.

Owen will be held up high amongst those I named before by the English media, whilst Fowler will stay in much better company forever. Dalglish, Rush, Barnes, Hughes, Keegan, Hansen, Souness, Song, Babb etc. the list goes on.

EDIT: Want to add, Cath, great minds eh?! Just wish i could type faster so it would look like you copied me!!