You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

So who should be our next manager?

3 minutes ago, Denny Crane said:

De Zerbi is a good manager but he's not even in the top 5 Italian managers. 

If you want an Italian who is ready to compete straight away look at Inzaghi. Managing Inter and Lazio are big pressure jobs. Competed in Europe and won domestically still only 47. Very adaptable and excellent at managing the game. 

Inzaghi and Nunez together, can a manager be offside?

(Yeah I know wrong Inzaghi)

I think we have to take a chance on Xabi, not for nostalgic reasons (though it helps he was a red), but he might just be the new outstanding coach of his generation. He'd get time here to implement his ideas and will inherit a great squad of players. Of course no one knows for sure how it will go for him I think it's worth a shot.

• Upvote 3

The simple fact is there is no one good enough to replace Klopp. Whoever gets the job is going to be a massive downgrade. 

I just don't see us being anywhere near as successful with someone else in charge.

I've always thought klopp would leave at the end of next season with him rounding off 10 years in charge. 

5 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

No, the job is too big for him. As was the Chelsea one. 

You need someone that has a killer mentality. And Potter isn't that, his name is Potter ffs. Can you really imagine doing an anfield tour in 30 years and listening to the tour guide talking about the "Potter era". No, you can't.... 

Oh, she he's supposed to be a tight fisted cunt. 

Didn't the fat one on the under the cosh podcast play with him, said he's a lovely fella, but the tightest guy you could ever imagine. 

I Chelsea job was a poison chalice no matter who took it mate I think the likes of Klopp and pep would have struggled with such an unbalanced team and an owner running like a rabbit on speed buying anyone he could without an ounce of thought. I think to a degree the liverpool job will be abit of a poison  chalice aswell with such big shoes to fill my heart says Alonso but my head says too soon for him and I think whoever comes in we will always be judging him on Klopps record.

1 minute ago, KMD7 said:

I think we have to take a chance on Xabi, not for nostalgic reasons (though it helps he was a red), but he might just be the new outstanding coach of his generation. He'd get time here to implement his ideas and will inherit a great squad of players. Of course no one knows for sure how it will go for him I think it's worth a shot.

Yep. Playing under Benitez, Mourinho, Ancelotti, Del Bosque and Guardiola will surely have rubbed off. 

He certainly has the feeling he’s destined for the top. 

I don’t think his lack of experience should count against him. He has more experience than Guardiola when he took of Barca. 

I’m not against De Zerbi. I think there are more question marks over him than Xabi. The way Klopp and Guardiola talk about him, there must be something impressive. 

I’m not taken by Nanglesman at all. 

As I’ve said in the Alonso thread, IMO, he’s the only option. Anybody else is a distant second choice. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Nagelsmann took over Hoffenheim at 28. They finished 15th the season before he took over and 4th in his first season. His 2nd season they lost to ourselves 6-3 in a champions league playoff and didn't get out of the group in the Europa but finished 3rd in the Bundesliga. Fell off in the 3rd season a bit and finished bottom in the champions league group but very competitive and didn't lose by more than one goal

First season at Leipzig he took them to 3rd and a Champions League semi final. Next year 2nd and last 16 of the champions league again losing to Liverpool and the final of the German Cup. 

Goes to Bayern wins the league and cup, lost in last 16 champions league to 2 late Villareal goals. Got sacked after losing to City in Champions league, they went on to win the title. 

Impressive but comparisons to Klopp as a German from the Bundesliga could be a bit awkward for him.

7 minutes ago, kemskem said:

Impressive but comparisons to Klopp as a German from the Bundesliga could be a bit awkward for him.

Klopp comfortably beat Nagelsmann twice during his time here. 

It doesn’t feel like Nagelsmann covered himself in glory at Bayern and ended up getting the Germany job because there was nobody else. 

I’m not saying no to Nagelsmann in the future, time is obviously on his side, IMO, he needs to prove himself more at club level. 

The likes of Potter are more likely to achieve something at a club like Liverpool than they are at a club like Chelsea because of the type of club and fan base they are.*

Not entirely sure how to categorise it but there are process managers who like to develop players and become part of the fabric of the club and buy in entirely into what it's trying to do and there are coaches who like to move around and accumulate accolades.

Likewise there are clubs who like short term fixes, and managers who come in, win a few things but burn out after two or three years and then move on to the next big thing and there are clubs who like to deal within a system and value progression and stability.

Often that delineation is based on the money, spending power and patience of an owner but it's why managers who like the process don't mix well with clubs who like immediate results and vice versa.

Klopp is a Liverpool Manager or an Arsenal Manager, Klopp isn't a Chelsea manager. Mourinho is a Chelsea manager, he isn't a Liverpool manager or an Arsenal manager.

*Not an endorsement of Potter.

It’s Xabi Alonso. Only person who can get the fans and the players totally onside after jurgen, and he could, could be the best young manager out there right now. What he’s doing at leverkusen isn’t luck. It’s a no brainer.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, andyj said:

I Chelsea job was a poison chalice no matter who took it mate I think the likes of Klopp and pep would have struggled with such an unbalanced team and an owner running like a rabbit on speed buying anyone he could without an ounce of thought. I think to a degree the liverpool job will be abit of a poison  chalice aswell with such big shoes to fill my heart says Alonso but my head says too soon for him and I think whoever comes in we will always be judging him on Klopps record.

i get why you're thinking that. 

but would you really take Graham Potter over a guy thats won every trophy he's competed for , for both club and country (minus the premier league). Really? 

If you’re van dijk with a year left and potter comes in after jurgen, you’re running your contract down. Alonso comes in and he commands your respect and you’re signing on for the next project. Same for De Zerbi 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jairzinho said:

Alonso is the only manager in world football who fits the bill? Someone who has won precisely nothing as a manager is the only person who could possibly be our next manager? That's a bit weird. I mean, he could end up being a really successful manager, and I'd be happy enough with him to get the gig, but he hasn't actually done anything yet.

It depends what you're looking for and I don't think he's the only person capable of managing us.  When I say "fits" I'm referring to my own personal opinion on what/who we could do with next.  Everyone, literally every manager in world football is a step down from Klopp, so imo we need someone who could galvanize the fans, someone we can be excited about.  And I personally would not get enthused about anyone other than Alonso.  

Who would you get excited about after Klopp? Or do you not think that's a requirement?

1 hour ago, JohnnyH said:

Firstly, to @El Rojo this is why I said Alonso would have my 100% support, because I knew people would say I didn’t want him because I don’t like him, like I’m some spotty teenager unable to be a grown up and just want what’s best for club. 

As I said in reply to someone else, De Zerbi is in the “take a punt” category that Alonso is in. We just have more to assess with de zerbi as he’s managed successfully in the premier league and for more than half a season. 

At this point, being genuinely worried about missing out on Alonso seems far too premature. Nobody, not even the biggest if Alonso fans, can say he’s going to be elite with any level of confidence. And Liverpool should be looking for an elite level manager. In my opinion obviously 

Who then?

15 minutes ago, Moo said:

It depends what you're looking for and I don't think he's the only person capable of managing us.  When I say "fits" I'm referring to my own personal opinion on what/who we could do with next.  Everyone, literally every manager in world football is a step down from Klopp, so imo we need someone who could galvanize the fans, someone we can be excited about.  And I personally would not get enthused about anyone other than Alonso.  

Who would you get excited about after Klopp? Or do you not think that's a requirement?

As you said, everyone is a downgrade from Klopp. Both in terms of quality of manager, and having a personality to keep you reasonably enthused in what is a fairly shit sport in modern times.

Alonso might well end up being a very good manager, but obviously the likes of Emery and Inzaghi have proven far more and would be less of a risk. I'm probably the wrong person to ask re who would I get "excited about". The answer is no-one, but that's the fault of the sport not the options. 

Whoever it is will get time, more than they would at most other similar sized clubs. I'm fairly certain it's not going to be a shit cunt like Hodgson, or a Linkedin profile like Rodgers.

32 minutes ago, etho said:

It’s Xabi Alonso. Only person who can get the fans and the players totally onside after jurgen, and he could, could be the best young manager out there right now. What he’s doing at leverkusen isn’t luck. It’s a no brainer.

Well said

3 minutes ago, s(k)aturation said:

Didn't Gerrard dream of managing Liverpool too?

Liverpool legend etc etc... 

I think we need to be careful of the "Liverpool" connection as a criteria.  Klopp had none.

Not one person is saying get Alonso just because he has a Liverpool connection.

2 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

As you said, everyone is a downgrade from Klopp. Both in terms of quality of manager, and having a personality to keep you reasonably enthused in what is a fairly shit sport in modern times.

Alonso might well end up being a very good manager, but obviously the likes of Emery and Inzaghi have proven far more and would be less of a risk. I'm probably the wrong person to ask re who would I get "excited about". The answer is no-one, but that's the fault of the sport not the options. 

Whoever it is will get time, more than they would at most other similar sized clubs. I'm fairly certain it's not going to be a shit cunt like Hodgson, or a Linkedin profile like Rodgers.

Yep.

The realistic answer about who we want next is probably: "someone nowhere near as good as Klopp".