You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Welcome to Liverpool, Jörg Schmadtke

3 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

As if this guy will sign a single player. He will at best have an opinion and will do the menial transfer stuff. 

That's pretty much how I see it. At least if he only survives this short term agreement. The scouts, data guys and klopp will already know who they want and they now need a negotiator to go and get it done. 

2 hours ago, joe_fishfish said:

Not saying Klopp is the issue at all, I'm just disappointed as a fan that we don't still have Edwards at the club. I have no clue why it didn't work out long term, I'm not gonna claim I've got any inside info at all, could be as simple as Edwards feeling burnt out and needing a long break.

Hope you're right about us having someone lined up after Schmadtke.

Edwards was at the club a very long time and worked with klopp for 6 years. I think that is very long term, they're aren't many longer in world football as a partnership as usually one of them will get the bullet. For me it's no issue Edwards moving on, it happens in all walks of business. He clearly could do his job, but he didn't start showing any of that till klopp arrived. I see no reason why klopp won't and can't have the same relationship with someone else. He's spent his whole career as a coach in a system that has strong sports directors. I don't buy into the idea many are saying that this is just the klopp show now and he wants yes men. Klopp has never shown he wants to be surrounded by yes men, quite the opposite in fact. We tried to promote from within and it didn't work. It often doesn't. 

2 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

By all accounts Edwards and Klopp would have pretty frank and open discussions on players and wouldn't always agree (think Pearce mentioned them not being close as well), I wonder if Ward was a bit too passive and so the appointment of Schmadtke is Klopp's attempt to reintroduce that dynamic.

Klopp clearly see's him as a, albeit distant, mentor and the reports are he's more than willing to stick up for his side of the argument so does Klopp want him in to challenge his ideas even if Klopp ends up with the final decision.

I think klopp would appreciate that. I'm not sure how much that works on this short term deal. I guess when Mac Allister moves to City, there'll be some work to do on deciding who choice number 3 is and perhaps that's where he can bring some experience to the table. But if we get our targets, like the exchange above with @3 Stacks I think this summer we get to use his skills as a negotiator and football administrator. 

One of the other things I did think about, is we often end up paying agents amounts of money that would make your eyes water and it would seem not aligned to our spending when comparing us to other top sides. Maybe part of his role is to control some of the wasted millions going out of the door on agents fees. Neither ward nor Edwards had a background in dealing with these guys before they did it here and maybe FSG see this as somewhere we can work to manage costs better.  

I think some people have misinterpreted 'done a lot of the ground work' as we've locked in on buying players A, B and C and everything has been agreed when in reality it probably means we know what the structure of a contract would like and the ball park fee's clubs would be looking for as well as doing all our relevant scouting and background checks on a multitude of players.

With the exception (fingers crossed) of Mac Allister, and with Mount making his preference known for any future move, I think there's lots of debate to be had internally on the pro's and cons of various players and the potential back up options that Schmadtke can still be involved in coming in as an outsider even in the short term.

Doesn't mean he's going to throw a random name that we've done no work on into the mix but he may be able to give his opinion on whether Szobolozai*, Veiga* or Kudus* is the best alternative to Mount as one of the advanced midfielders or who would offer more between Gravenberch* and Thuram* or whether Timber's* versatility outweighs his lack of height.

*just used as examples

15 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I don't buy into the idea many are saying that this is just the klopp show now and he wants yes men. Klopp has never shown he wants to be surrounded by yes men, quite the opposite in fact. We tried to promote from within and it didn't work. It often doesn't. 

Yes. A lot of the stuff on Klopp's supposed assumption of control has just been down to confirmation bias. For example: he wanted Milner to stay and was overruled. Hardly a sign of his dictatorial powers.

I heard that the first choice target for Director of Football isn't yet available, and that was the reason for this short term appointment. No idea if that's correct or not, though.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

Yes. A lot of the stuff on Klopp's supposed assumption of control has just been down to confirmation bias. For example: he wanted Milner to stay and was overruled. Hardly a sign of his dictatorial powers.

I heard that the first choice target for Director of Football isn't yet available, and that was the reason for this short term appointment. No idea if that's correct or not, though.

For me that would make a lot of sense. The non-compete time in these jobs seems to be "get past the summer window" and as ward made his decision this side of the last summer window, I'm assuming everyone in a job at that point and hadn't already started their notice, was out of our reach. With Schmadtke being "retired" I'm assuming no such issues were presented in using him now. But all the best sporting directors are likely in a job or even if they're quit, they can't pick anything up till after the window. 

Love Milner but I'd of been livid if he was still a squad option. Move the fuck on, he'll be 38 next year.

Until proven otherwise I'm still of the belief Klopp holds too tightly to players. It's a double edged sword he gets more from them at their peak because of who he is but seems to have fleeing the nest syndrome. The pandemic means it's a flawed assumption we may have look to sell then but players contracts wound down. 

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Love Milner but I'd of been livid if he was still a squad option. Move the fuck on, he'll be 38 next year.

Until proven otherwise I'm still of the belief Klopp holds too tightly to players. It's a double edged sword he gets more from them at their peak because of who he is but seems to have fleeing the nest syndrome. The pandemic means it's a flawed assumption we may have look to sell then but players contracts wound down. 

As is being shown by milner though, he clearly doesn't completely control that. Do you think he was clinging on to chamberlain and keita?

It's all exactly why we have football administrators, klopp can talk to them and say love to keep you round, but it's up to the money men to do the dirty work. I remember listening to a souness interview some time ago where he said he got involved in contract renewals and signings when Peter Robinson had always done that before. He said it was a massive mistake as the players would blame him when they're weren't happy with their contracts or whatever.

Klopp works within tight financial rails with regards incoming players. I don't see why that isn't the case with the players leaving or who should leave. Personally I think we keep players too long because it's financially prudent to do so and klopp doesn't fight that. We look for top dollar on our sales and we expect klopp to make do and mend when players who've outstayed their welcome hang around because they either want to sit out their deal or nobody is stupid enough to buy them. 

I think he is probably somebody Klopp knows and trusts and is maybe an old friend? Being involved in German football I'm sure Klopp has asked around and feels comfortable working with him and his opinion on players. Probably a good move provided Jurgen is fine with it. I think the Gakpo and Nunez signings were fine myself so I see more calm seas ahead,the question is how much and how many will Jurgen be allowed to spend and bring in?

On 27/05/2023 at 14:17, Barrington Womble said:

As is being shown by milner though, he clearly doesn't completely control that. Do you think he was clinging on to chamberlain and keita?

It's all exactly why we have football administrators, klopp can talk to them and say love to keep you round, but it's up to the money men to do the dirty work. I remember listening to a souness interview some time ago where he said he got involved in contract renewals and signings when Peter Robinson had always done that before. He said it was a massive mistake as the players would blame him when they're weren't happy with their contracts or whatever.

Klopp works within tight financial rails with regards incoming players. I don't see why that isn't the case with the players leaving or who should leave. Personally I think we keep players too long because it's financially prudent to do so and klopp doesn't fight that. We look for top dollar on our sales and we expect klopp to make do and mend when players who've outstayed their welcome hang around because they either want to sit out their deal or nobody is stupid enough to buy them. 

I think your comparing Apples with Oranges there, no one is asking Klopp to negotiate anything, simply make the call on players that aren't up to it anymore. This must be the 15th transfer window and he's yet to sell one of his players that didn't want to leave. Nobody can tell me its financially prudent to retain Matip rather than cash in. If he's retained its because Klopp has once again honoured the contract.

The signs aren't good, the big shake up he spoke off appears to be the 4 free agents, personally I think he needs to sell a big name to rattle a few cages, we need to wake up to shock news that Robbo* is gone, the players are too comfortable. 

*Robbo is just an example, could be anyone bar Alisson and Trent, everyone else is fair game based on the performance this season.

7 minutes ago, No2 said:

I think your comparing Apples with Oranges there, no one is asking Klopp to negotiate anything, simply make the call on players that aren't up to it anymore. This must be the 15th transfer window and he's yet to sell one of his players that didn't want to leave. Nobody can tell me its financially prudent to retain Matip rather than cash in. If he's retained its because Klopp has once again honoured the contract.

The signs aren't good, the big shake up he spoke off appears to be the 4 free agents, personally I think he needs to sell a big name to rattle a few cages, we need to wake up to shock news that Robbo* is gone, the players are too comfortable. 

*Robbo is just an example, could be anyone bar Alisson and Trent, everyone else is fair game based on the performance this season.

You cant just randomly sell players with no replacements. There has to be strategy involved.

28 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

You cant just randomly sell players with no replacements. There has to be strategy involved.

Well obviously if we were selling one of them we should have their replacement lined up.

22 minutes ago, No2 said:

So I would say klopp will be more than willing for matip to go this summer. But the club will have a number and it's nothing to do with klopp until the value is met. I would let him leave for free, but we won't. I'd have let keita and chamberlain leave for free last year. 

I don't think he forces players out by putting the club and a player in a corner by sending them to train with the kids, because he's a grown up. It's not true he's never sold a player who doesn't want to leave as I'd have thought sakho is the "bad apple" example. And in other examples, when they've been "good eggs", he's replaced them and then sold later. Mingolet & Lovren would be examples of this - they may have seen the writing is on the wall, but that's a sensible continuity way of cleaning up the squad and one I believe we should do on the midfield this year. 3 new players in and come next season, depending how the year goes, every one of our existing midfield players might be happy to be Lovrened.

We mostly otherwise haven't had too many examples of players who should be bombed. In fact I'd go as far as to say there's been keita and chamberlain as the only 2 I can think of, although I think minamino, Shaq and origi should all have left earlier - they were up for sale, but nobody met their value with the exception of wolves the year they were promoted making an offer for divock. Klopp doesn't control the valuation.

Having said all that, I posted elsewhere I wouldn't be surprised if 6 of yesterday's line up won't be here in September. I think kelleher, Gomez, matip, kostas and fab could all be looking over their shoulders from that team yesterday with Bobby and milner already gone. Add that to keita, chamberlain and it seems carvalho - and I think thiago is far from certain to be here either, I think it could be quite the change this summer. But I personally wouldn't let any of those I've mentioned go unless there's a good fee to be had and some quality replacements are lined up.   The only players I'd consider letting out for free is matip as I don't think he can get on the pitch much anymore and seems to have slipped a bit and thiago - but really only because he only has 12 months to run and his wages are so big - and you'll be lucky to get 50% of games out of him. But I think we'll want 10m at least for those two. Probably 20m for Kostas & kelleher, 30m for Gomez and fab. And if we don't get it, they'll be here next season and klopp will happily get on with it. 

2 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I think he is probably somebody Klopp knows and trusts and is maybe an old friend? Being involved in German football I'm sure Klopp has asked around and feels comfortable working with him and his opinion on players. Probably a good move provided Jurgen is fine with it. I think the Gakpo and Nunez signings were fine myself so I see more calm seas ahead,the question is how much and how many will Jurgen be allowed to spend and bring in?

Hmm, perhaps he's an FSG man.  Someone picked for his honesty and not afraid to stand up to Klopp.  Makes more sense for the 6 month period.  He's checking Klopp's homework. 

Very little change to the current structure, just an outside voice coming in.

https://theathletic.com/4563227/2023/05/30/schmadtke-klopp-liverpool-transfers/

New Liverpool sporting director Jorg Schmadtke says Jurgen Klopp will continue to decide the club’s priorities in the transfer market.

The 59-year-old German executive also revealed that Klopp’s agent Marc Kosicke recommended him to Fenway Sports Group president Mike Gordon.

Schmadtke was today officially confirmed as Julian Ward’s successor on a short-term deal.

It promises to be a busy summer for him with the Liverpool squad in need of reinforcements after an underwhelming fifth placed finish in the Premier League. Brighton’s Alexis Mac Allister tops their list of targets.

“The coach’s influence on transfers is greater in England than in Germany, where a board member for sport or a sporting director controls everything,” he told German broadcaster Sport1.

“Jurgen Klopp sets the priorities. We support him with a team of data analysts, scouts and so on, he can then choose from a list of players who he wants to work with.

“Then I’ll deal with the transfers with the relevant departments in the club. And in the end, the owners have to be happy with their investments as well.”

Schmadtke, who will start work on June 1, was tempted out of retirement after leaving Wolfsburg in January.

On his relationship with Klopp, he added: “We’re not that close to each other. We were in the Bundesliga at the same time. He as a coach, me as sporting director, we know each other, but I know his advisor Marc Kosicke better.

“He maintains a good exchange with the owners of Liverpool FC. When the current sporting director announced that he wanted to quit for personal reasons, Marc told them: ‘If you are looking for an older and experienced manager for the transfer period, you might want to take a look at Jorg Schmadtke’.

“The co-operation is initially scheduled to last three months. If we take a liking to each other, it can extend beyond the transfer period.”