You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Welcome to Liverpool, Jörg Schmadtke

We were probably among the front runners with regards to our recruitment setup six or seven years ago. It seems we’ve gone backwards since that, while not only Brighton but a large number of clubs have taken big steps forwards.

Data science has become a vital part of a competitive recruitment setup, and the clubs falling behind in this department will be loosers in the market.

Would be very surprised if Schmadtke is the one to put us back in the driving seat when it comes to this, and have to say this looks like a very strange move by the club.

Hope I’m wrong here of course, we’ll see.

I know Klopp has said it's not his appointment. But it's really does look like a man brought in under Klopp and Pep. There's nothing in his career showing he is up to it for top level club. 

I guess we will see how it plays out

I dont know if it is how it is but it feels like the club lacks cohesion. Weve gone from being a well oiled machine to all over the place. We don't look like there's any real kind of vision for the team signings of late its more like we see an opportunistic moneyball type signing and go for it whether it's what we need or not. The amount of left sided forwards we have and our whole right side consists of Trent and Salah, is just weird. 

We're one of the biggest clubs in the world but we know as soon as another club comes in for a player we want unless Klopps charisma has been on overdrive then FSG walk away because we are fucking financial minnows. We shouldn't even be in this position all the club had to do when it was riding high was add a quality player each window but no we have to keep the powder dry and save up so we can afford the player we really want... oh the player might have other ideas!  they'll be using VVD and Konate as an example till the day they leave ignoring the shit show that waiting has caused to the entire team and how big a job it is to fix it now especially as other sides get their shit together and aren't actually afraid to spend. Yeah there's a balance but in my opinion it's gone too far now this summer has to be an expensive one for the club and that means buying quality players not one expensive player and then 6 stocking fillers.

I’m worried there’s something in this that might prove toxic and could be a catalyst for Klopp fucking off. We need a big summer and absolutely top 4 next year or the era is done and dusted. I can forgive this year just about because we’ve been spoilt and it’s been a weird season but next season we need to bounce straight back, hopefully with another European trophy sat in the cabinet. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

I’m worried there’s something in this that might prove toxic and could be a catalyst for Klopp fucking off. We need a big summer and absolutely top 4 next year or the era is done and dusted. I can forgive this year just about because we’ve been spoilt and it’s been a weird season but next season we need to bounce straight back, hopefully with another European trophy sat in the cabinet. 

Given it's almost certainly a Klopp recommendation, and the sporting director in our structure isn't more powerful than the manager (as they are at other clubs) I'm not sure it's much of an issue.

Whether he's as abrasive as has been reported will probably be felt more with the people he's working more closely with like Hunter, Spearman and Fallows but I'd guess the line between forthright and toxic will be dictated by his success rather than the the truth.

• Upvote 1

Yeah if anything this appointment is Klopp doubling down on the structure he’s already got in place. No clue why he couldn’t make it work with Edwards or Ward, given how good Edwards in particular was at his job I really wish it had worked out better, but this seems like Klopp has got someone who’s going to back him and his decisions rather than tell him what to do.

1 minute ago, joe_fishfish said:

Yeah if anything this appointment is Klopp doubling down on the structure he’s already got in place. No clue why he couldn’t make it work with Edwards or Ward, given how good Edwards in particular was at his job I really wish it had worked out better, but this really seems like Klopp has got someone who’s going to back him and his decisions rather than tell him what to do.

it seems to me you think Klopp is the issue here? I don't see it like that at all. Edward's worked successfully with Klopp for a long time. People move on and it's normal. Ward it seems to me probably just wasn't up to the job. He's picked up extra responsibility and since then turned down Ajax because they weren't professional enough for him. I think considering his history, it's fair to assume he is the problem here and not Klopp. As for going forward, it seems this new guy is a temporary appointment to get us through the hump of this summer. That just suggests to me the person we want isn't available right now, these guys rightly have long notice/non-compete type clauses, so we're waiting for our man and in the meantime we've brought someone out of retirement who klopp knows he can work with for a short term tactical fix. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

it seems to me you think Klopp is the issue here? I don't see it like that at all. Edward's worked successfully with Klopp for a long time. People move on and it's normal. Ward it seems to me probably just wasn't up to the job. He's picked up extra responsibility and since then turned down Ajax because they weren't professional enough for him. I think considering his history, it's fair to assume he is the problem here and not Klopp. As for going forward, it seems this new guy is a temporary appointment to get us through the hump of this summer. That just suggests to me the person we want isn't available right now, these guys rightly have long notice/non-compete type clauses, so we're waiting for our man and in the meantime we've brought someone out of retirement who klopp knows he can work with for a short term tactical fix. 

Not saying Klopp is the issue at all, I'm just disappointed as a fan that we don't still have Edwards at the club. I have no clue why it didn't work out long term, I'm not gonna claim I've got any inside info at all, could be as simple as Edwards feeling burnt out and needing a long break.

Hope you're right about us having someone lined up after Schmadtke.

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

By all accounts Edwards and Klopp would have pretty frank and open discussions on players and wouldn't always agree (think Pearce mentioned them not being close as well), I wonder if Ward was a bit too passive and so the appointment of Schmadtke is Klopp's attempt to reintroduce that dynamic.

Klopp clearly see's him as a, albeit distant, mentor and the reports are he's more than willing to stick up for his side of the argument so does Klopp want him in to challenge his ideas even if Klopp ends up with the final decision.