You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gakpo: I am still learning and developing my game   

TLW

12 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

Does nothing and offers nothing.Nunez can cause chaos and score a cracker, jota is a fantastic goal scorer, mo is mo and Diaz offers skill and trickery. Gakpo offers fuck all.

He's in terrible form, but the "he does nothing" thing is nonsense.

Klopp's used him in about 5 positions this season. People have to accept that he's a squad player who gets moved around a bunch. He isn't going to be this absolute megastar. I was a fan of the signing and it's not because I thought he'd be this game breaking unbelievable player.

Some of the criticism stinks a bit of what Arsenal and Havertz were dealing with. Not getting that the manager is using the player in a particular way.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

He's in terrible form, but the "he does nothing" thing is nonsense.

Klopp's used him in about 5 positions this season. People have to accept that he's a squad player who gets moved around a bunch. He isn't going to be this absolute megastar. I was a fan of the signing and it's not because I thought he'd be this game breaking unbelievable player.

Some of the criticism stinks a bit of what Arsenal and Havertz were dealing with. Not getting that the manager is using the player in a particular way.

He doesn't need to be a superstar. He just needs to not be a massive coward and just fall over or kick the ball away any time he thinks he might get kicked. He just doesn't fancy it and the opposition can see it. They were shocking today and barely closed anyone,.till he came on. They were almost fighting over getting near him, because they knew it was a turnover of possession..

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

He doesn't need to be a superstar. He just needs to not be a massive coward and just fall over or kick the ball away any time he thinks he might get kicked. He just doesn't fancy it and the opposition can see it. They were shocking today and barely closed anyone,.till he came on. They were almost fighting over getting near him, because they knew it was a turnover of possession..

Yeah, look I said it, he looks terrible right now, but people are making wide sweeping judgements that are pretty ridiculous. 

I mean, I feel like this "he has no fight" thing started like a month ago. It's not like people were questioning his desire since the moment he signed. 

Who is this Gakpo whose just a bit out of form at the minute? 

He’s been exactly like this since he got here.

Stop being a super red going overboard about how good he is. He’s fucking crap. 

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

Yeah, look I said it, he looks terrible right now, but people are making wide sweeping judgements that are pretty ridiculous. 

I mean, I feel like this "he has no fight" thing started like a month ago. It's not like people were questioning his desire since the moment he signed. 

Actually I said in about his 4th or 5th game for us he lacked fight. I've seen absolutely nothing to change my mind about him and spent a year hoping he could toughen up. He won't because he's a fucking shit bag. 

• Upvote 1

There’s 100% an issue developing between him and Nunez.  Gakpo reacts like a school kid when somebody doesn’t play him but then is the greediest player in the team when he gets it.  Nunez has started reacting in the same fashion back to him.  He’s the only one at the moment but he won’t be for long.  He stinks of Sturridge at the moment.  He gets left out and seems to think his route back in is scoring goals.  Every situation he just holds on to the ball and holds on waiting for a shooting opportunity.  He will then either give it away from being crowded out or lay it off but the chance has gone for other players.  He needs it spelling out to him.

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

Actually I said in about his 4th or 5th game for us he lacked fight. I've seen absolutely nothing to change my mind about him and spent a year hoping he could toughen up. He won't because he's a fucking shit bag. 

mmk then. 

1 hour ago, Red74 said:

Who is this Gakpo whose just a bit out of form at the minute? 

He’s been exactly like this since he got here.

Stop being a super red going overboard about how good he is. He’s fucking crap. 

He's not crap, he's definitely in a shit run of form though. For me I see a player there but he's taking too long to make decisions and he's just too passive, needs to be more aggressive but he looks easy to defend against.

• Upvote 1

He's been absolutely dire recently and constantly gave the ball away and ruined our attacks with ponderous play today but has show good promise since being here. When we had 5 v 2 today thats on him, very wasteful.

1 hour ago, The Guest said:

There’s 100% an issue developing between him and Nunez.  Gakpo reacts like a school kid when somebody doesn’t play him but then is the greediest player in the team when he gets it.  Nunez has started reacting in the same fashion back to him.  He’s the only one at the moment but he won’t be for long.  He stinks of Sturridge at the moment.  He gets left out and seems to think his route back in is scoring goals.  Every situation he just holds on to the ball and holds on waiting for a shooting opportunity.  He will then either give it away from being crowded out or lay it off but the chance has gone for other players.  He needs it spelling out to him.

I wish he was half as good as Sturridge.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, TheSire said:

He's not crap, he's definitely in a shit run of form though. For me I see a player there but he's taking too long to make decisions and he's just too passive, needs to be more aggressive but he looks easy to defend against.

They finished and played extra time with fernandes and slab head at centre half and he was playing through the middle as the 9, fresh off the bench and didn't threaten them once. That's how easy he is to defend against. He has some great movement against those who sit with 8 or 9 defenders in their box, but a fight like that today, I'd have sooner seen Danns running round. 

• Upvote 5

4 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

You're a bellend. 

No, but seriously what did you want me to say? The vast majority of people are turning on Gakpo for his recent play and you go "well I knew all along". I mean cool, congrats to you then. 

12 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

No, but seriously what did you want me to say? The vast majority of people are turning on Gakpo for his recent play and you go "well I knew all along". I mean cool, congrats to you then. 

Say what the fuck you want, but if you're going to be a bellend, I'm going to call you a bellend. M'kay. 

19 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

They finished and played extra time with fernandes and slab head at centre half and he was playing through the middle as the 9, fresh off the bench and didn't threaten them once. That's how easy he is to defend against. He has some great movement against those who sit with 8 or 9 defenders in their box, but a fight like that today, I'd have sooner seen Danns running round. 

Me too, especially that last bit. He's a right scrapper and plays smartly in tight spaces, seems to find a way out of situations when he's under pressure. Bit of cheekiness about him. Gakpo is too nice. 

The Sparta Prague game isn’t relevant given how bad they were. He just doesn’t seem to be able to impose himself on games and gets muscled off the ball a lot for a big lad. 

Came on in huge games against both City and Man United and offered precious little. Hopefully he’s challenged on that by Klopp and that better follows, as he has huge ability.

7 minutes ago, TheSire said:

Me too, especially that last bit. He's a right scrapper and plays smartly in tight spaces, seems to find a way out of situations when he's under pressure. Bit of cheekiness about him. Gakpo is too nice. 

To be honest, it wasn't even really meant to be a massive compliment for Danns. It's just more than I would expect gakpo to hide and for sure, Danns wouldn't. I'm not one of these people who think you solve all your problems with the kids. Invariably, kids will let you down, because they're learning their trade. But in little pockets of time when you want energy, aggression and a deep desire to be a fucking nuisance and let players know they've been in a battle, I'd pick a kid like Danns over a shithouse like gakpo every single time. 

• Upvote 1