You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

17 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Simon Jones of the Mail saying we’re looking at the lad Brighton are looking at, Baleba.

That's all well and good for us to be saying as throwaway comments, but if our policy is really going to become "let's see who Brighton want and go for them" then we're every bit as clueless as many of us think we are now, and then some.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Something we not discussing is the level of investment we made in youth players in support of an aging squad .  Not one has secured a first team spot since Trent .  Therefore we have had to purchase for practically every position on the pitch . Disappointing return .  Worse they are not consistently deemed usable / trusted as back ups or subs . 

12 minutes ago, dave u said:

That's all well and good for us to be saying as throwaway comments, but if our policy is really going to become "let's see who Brighton want and go for them" then we're every bit as clueless as many of us think we are now, and then some.

Aiming to become a side that’s even worse then we are isn’t all that smart either.

16 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

Have you seen much of Baleba at all ?

A decent bit. Lille were the most attractive team in France last year and I saw a lot of their games. 

The thing with him is he is a classic Ligue 1 talent in the sense that he is one of those players that emerges and comes out of nowhere and then he just jumps off the screen. He hasnt actually played that much yet, much like Lesley, the player Chelsea signed hadnt, but when he will become a regular it will probably become obvious how good he is. 

He will obviously be fashionable because Brighton are linked with him, and they buy these sorts of players. We probably cant afford to take the risk, and we never do this sort of signing anyway. 

18 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

A decent bit. Lille were the most attractive team in France last year and I saw a lot of their games. 

The thing with him is he is a classic Ligue 1 talent in the sense that he is one of those players that emerges and comes out of nowhere and then he just jumps off the screen. He hasnt actually played that much yet, much like Lesley, the player Chelsea signed hadnt, but when he will become a regular it will probably become obvious how good he is. 

He will obviously be fashionable because Brighton are linked with him, and they buy these sorts of players. We probably cant afford to take the risk, and we never do this sort of signing anyway. 

We've probably been left with no choice but to take a risk. The list of names are all either unavailable, shite, old or inexperienced. Inexperienced it is.

1 minute ago, No2 said:

We've probably been left with no choice but to take a risk. The list of names are all either unavailable, shite, old or inexperienced. Inexperienced it is.

I would be excited if we signed him, but he is really inexperienced. Hes played like 500 minutes of top flight football. We tend to buy 16 year olds like Doak and Elliott, if we want to do that. 

Baleba's idols growing up: Pogba, De Bruyne and... Thiago.

Quand tu étais petit, qui étaient tes idoles, tes modèles ?
J’avais beaucoup d’idoles que j’observais à la télé, surtout au poste de milieu de terrain : Paul Pogba en un, Kevin De Bruyne en deux et Thiago Alcântara en trois.

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

Kone seems like good value for money on paper but I think he has a weird profile. I know he has been injured but I find it odd that a player at a club that could use some money, that is available for 30-40m, hasnt been touched, especially in a summer where the midfield market has gone crazy. I think clubs are a bit weary of him for whatever reason. I would say its because it isnt clear where he should play. He seems almost too much of a hybrid 6/8, that isnt enough of a 6 and isnt enough of an 8, if that makes sense. 

Yeah, that makes sense.

I think we're at the stage of the window though where we need to just focus on attributes that the coaching staff can work with. We're too late to the party to pick up a top 6, at least at any sane price; so it's either a journeyman, a total youngster, or a Kone type we can mould. I think there's enough there for Klopp to work with.

If, however, Doucoure was available that'd be a solid solution. 

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

Kone seems like good value for money on paper but I think he has a weird profile. I know he has been injured but I find it odd that a player at a club that could use some money, that is available for 30-40m, hasnt been touched, especially in a summer where the midfield market has gone crazy. I think clubs are a bit weary of him for whatever reason. I would say its because it isnt clear where he should play. He seems almost too much of a hybrid 6/8, that isnt enough of a 6 and isnt enough of an 8, if that makes sense. 

Would the injury be a factor though? There's a definite 6 in there from the clips I've seen.

Still odd the way it went very quiet on him after a lot of initial heat.