You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

18 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Jurgen won't survive this season if we do nothing.

5th probably gets us CL football this season. He managed that last year. I think even with this squad there's a fair chance we can match that. But that's not to say he won't fuck it off, although I'd be surprised if he does. 

My gut feeling at this point is we'll go into the September with what we have and by october-ish they'll start work to get a DM for January. And by next summer they'll hope it's all been forgotten because klopp waved his magic wand. 

The way this team is attacking at this point, you can't see any of the bottom half teams living with us and that's the base we'll be going for I think. Beat the bottom 10 homes and away and see where the rest takes us. 

2 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Looking at the below, the options of players who are either achievable or good enough feels slim…

Onana, Zubimendi, Danalio & Koopermeines haven’t been mentioned (well, not recently anyway). 

IMG_9733.png

IMG_9734.png

IMG_9735.png

IMG_9736.png

What an uninspiring list. I'd probably take Scott McTominay at this stage.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Denny Crane said:

Am I right in thinking the last player we signed direct from South America who played for us was Sebastian Coates - Commolli? 

Off the top of my head(direct)Lucas, Palletta, Insua and Gonzalez over the last 20 odd years. 

I can't think of anyone else. By all accounts we look at these lads, but we're happy to see them go to Portugal or wherever and see how they develop. 

54 minutes ago, YNWAViking said:

Still whispers of Kephren Thuram. Now that would be a decent signing. Big, young, strong, fighter, can do a bit of everything. Will cost a lot though in both transfer fee and salary. 

He’s not a DM. We signed Dom instead of him.

2 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

It doesn't make sense if they get a 12 point deduction or something like that though. If penalties are only financial, it makes sense (in a sporting way at least,  not a financial). 

Yeah it depends on how the punish them. But we've never seen the league want to push big point deductions for fear of legal action holding it up. Reckon they'll give them a 20ml fine and a 18 month transfer ban if anything comes of it

47 minutes ago, Denny Crane said:

Am I right in thinking the last player we signed direct from South America who played for us was Sebastian Coates - Commolli? 

Off the top of my head(direct)Lucas, Palletta, Insua and Gonzalez over the last 20 odd years. 

Pitaluga came straight from Brazil. We had another lad loaned to half of Europe as well. Can't think of his name, don't think he ever even trained with us.

8 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Yeah it depends on how the punish them. But we've never seen the league want to push big point deductions for fear of legal action holding it up. Reckon they'll give them a 20ml fine and a 18 month transfer ban if anything comes of it

The thing is in the past there hasn't been too man instances. But over the last 12.months there's charges against Everton and city. There's owners in the league at both ends of the table that are wanting action. The league is only its members. City, Chelsea, Everton and Newcastle clearly won't be happy with it, but I can't see how it's anything but what the other clubs would want. 

20 minutes ago, etho said:

On talksport now a 'football finance expert' saying they're in trouble. Clubs should be pushing for this points deduction.

They will end up getting a one year transfer ban, which won't make any difference to them when you've signed the amount of top under 21 players that they have. 

1 hour ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Of the options left, Kone is the one for me, Clive.

I like the idea of Andre, picking up a player straight from South America, but it sounds like a deal that could drag on as Fluminense want to keep him until at least January.

Adams' knees would explode on day one of training.

Agree with all of that. Admittedly it's only been YouTube compilations for me, but Kone looks exactly what we need. Looks a real midfielder. Bit of everything about him. 

5 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Why do folks keep mentioning Adams' knees -- all his injuries have been muscular I thought.

Yeah, knee issues aren't his problem but having looked at his injury record for the past 5 seasons he's averaging just over 15 games missed a season(although before his Leeds injury the previous two seasons were 6 and 4 games missed), given our medical team and intensity in training/games not sure it would be the wisest move.

Also spoke to a Leeds supporting mate and his words were 'Hes good at breaking up play, but his distribution is poor. I'll be honest, he's not at Liverpools level'.

2 hours ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Of the options left, Kone is the one for me, Clive.

I like the idea of Andre, picking up a player straight from South America, but it sounds like a deal that could drag on as Fluminense want to keep him until at least January.

Adams' knees would explode on day one of training.

Kone seems like good value for money on paper but I think he has a weird profile. I know he has been injured but I find it odd that a player at a club that could use some money, that is available for 30-40m, hasnt been touched, especially in a summer where the midfield market has gone crazy. I think clubs are a bit weary of him for whatever reason. I would say its because it isnt clear where he should play. He seems almost too much of a hybrid 6/8, that isnt enough of a 6 and isnt enough of an 8, if that makes sense.