You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

17 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

You know col that won't be the case. You're already seeing people on here pointing fingers at klopp rather than them. It's fucking astonishing. But they'll get their world soon enough, because klopp will be gone and we'll be fucked. 

I ‘know’ it won’t but I’m still the kid that wants it to and tries to find a way in his head to reason why they might change their MO. 

I think that I take perhaps a more pragmatic view of these last few days than most; apart from some egg on the face we've lost nothing. Yesterday's result was a better result for us than it was for Chelsea and it's only the first game of the new season.

Conversely, if this serves as a huge wake up call for Henry and his FSG skinflint cronies, then perhaps we could actually benefit from the whole debacle going forward.

One character trait / weakness that John Henry has I believe, is that he's a hugely vain man, and it will sting that he's been so publicly mugged off, especially by another rich American.

The fans, and now the media are on his case, and I expect him to start throwing some money around in an attempt to save face.

I've always wanted Kone to come in and I think he'd do a fantastic job as our 6, and maybe a Momo like destroyer like Thuram or Sangare would be another shrewd addition.

The window is still open and all is still to play for.

Also, just as big an issue is Kloppo's perseverance with the inverted / vacated / retarded full back formation. I get why he tried it, and not without some success and promise at the end of last season, but honestly it's a bollocks formation. If we had the midfielders with the legs to make his favoured 433 work then that would be more beneficial to us than any £115m Ecuadorian money grabbing shithouse, and with Macca and Szobo already added, I believe we're almost there.

I'm not prepared to throw the towel in just yet.

• Upvote 12

6 minutes ago, stringvest said:

however, most of their threat came down the other side.  

We were watching the game differently then, Stringvest. From my perspective Chelsea was haggling back and forth on the right until 20 minutes in, when they found that long ball to Chilwell. From that moment they had all the time in the world to build up play. 

Chilwell was the opposite to a inverted wingbacks, moving in the opposite directions, and it worked in their favour.

21 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

You know col that won't be the case. You're already seeing people on here pointing fingers at klopp rather than them. It's fucking astonishing. But they'll get their world soon enough, because klopp will be gone and we'll be fucked. 

Ive got to say though, theres no way Jurgen isn't a part of this shitshow, how can he not be? Theres hardly any fucker left to make decisions.

IF he has nothing to do with anything, then you have to question why the hell he isn't banging down Hogans/henrys door and asking what the fuck is happening because he'll be the first in the firing line.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, stringvest said:

and around him, and behind him.  Robertson was poor.

I thought Robertson was good when he was allowed to be. The system fucked him over, when he was 1v1 against Sterling he handled him well.

1 minute ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Ive got to say though, theres no way Jurgen isn't a part of this shitshow, how can he not be? Theres hardly any fucker left to make decisions.

IF he has nothing to do with anything, then you have to question why the hell he isn't banging down Hogans/henrys door and asking what the fuck is happening because he'll be the first in the firing line.

He's said countless times he has nothing to do with the money side. It's not he has nothing to do with signings. But he has to operate in the framework provided. It'd be like saying you were shit at shaging women because you keep getting taken to a gay brothel. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

He's said countless times he has nothing to do with the money side. It's not he has nothing to do with signings. But he has to operate in the framework provided. It'd be like saying you were shit at shaging women because you keep getting taken to a gay brothel. 

another fever dream exposed

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, stringvest said:

he really didn't.

Well in my opinion he did, he got him turned and heading back to his own goal several times. I can't fault anything he done.

I watched it in the pub, I'll watch it again during the week, maybe I'll be proved wrong but I don't expect to be. 

4 minutes ago, No2 said:

Well in my opinion he did, he got him turned and heading back to his own goal several times. I can't fault anything he done.

I watched it in the pub, I'll watch it again during the week, maybe I'll be proved wrong but I don't expect to be. 

Are you a masochist?

The truth is, before the window started, I think we were likely looking at 2 midfielders and a CB (if we could find a good deal) and that is that. So we boxed Mac and Dom, and then were going to rely on Fab, Thiago and Hendo in the 6.

I think we likely had around 130m-140m to spend, spent 95 on 2 CMs, and were going to try find a deal for a CB at 30-40M.

Then, two bids came in. I don't think Klopp expected that. Inexplicably, we accepted both without a plan and the arrogance that we'd figure it out.

Suddenly, we start scouting for 6s with aggression. We now have 100M-120m (the 45M we had remaining after 95 spent, and the 52 we brought in comprising for the most of that).

I think we were looking to get Lavia at 40ish, which would leave us for 50-70M for a CB and another storied DM. But then we got wind of Caicedo being an option and decided to go big on it. If we got Caicedo, I do not think we would have made another signing this summer.

There has to be a reason we have prioritized signings in the way we have, and we have worked on a '1 deal at a time' basis'. It makes no sense why we haven't pursued a CB, other than if we only have so much money and need to prioritize the CDM before we can see what we have left.

This all needs to be ripped up and the owners and leadership need to do what is necessary. Three bids going In this week for three players. Get it boxed and redeem yourselves.

Just now, Funkasy said:

Are you a masochist?

I'd often watch our matches twice, it's a completely different game without the tension, you see things you hadn't noticed. I barely watch any other football so if its us twice or watch Fulham V Burnley then it's us all day long.

9 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Maybe, with that line of thinking we would have had both Mac and Daddy Dom as undervalued, probably why we could pull the trigger so quickly on those two.

For sure..well for Dom probably on value at least. But they're release clauses. Their value LFC give them doesn't necessarily represent what they would cost if the clause didn't exist. We could get those deals done because our valuations corresponded with a value picked at another time. We seem completely incapable of finding players that fit our valuation unless they have a release clause. 

20 minutes ago, No2 said:

I thought Robertson was good when he was allowed to be. The system fucked him over, when he was 1v1 against Sterling he handled him well.

Exactly. He was getting no protection at all from Diaz or Gakpo and most times was up against 3 of their men. Mane going has left us with a massive problem here cos no cunt ever tried it on down our left side. 

16 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Yep. Just because Edwards/Ward no longer work at the club it doesn't mean models or parts of frameworks they provided are no longer being followed. Their work is property of the club they aren't creatives where their value is erased when they leave employment. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

The truth is, before the window started, I think we were likely looking at 2 midfielders and a CB (if we could find a good deal) and that is that. So we boxed Mac and Dom, and then were going to rely on Fab, Thiago and Hendo in the 6.

I think we likely had around 130m-140m to spend, spent 95 on 2 CMs, and were going to try find a deal for a CB at 30-40M.

Then, two bids came in. I don't think Klopp expected that. Inexplicably, we accepted both without a plan and the arrogance that we'd figure it out.

Suddenly, we start scouting for 6s with aggression. We now have 100M-120m (the 45M we had remaining after 95 spent, and the 52 we brought in comprising for the most of that).

I think we were looking to get Lavia at 40ish, which would leave us for 50-70M for a CB and another storied DM. But then we got wind of Caicedo being an option and decided to go big on it. If we got Caicedo, I do not think we would have made another signing this summer.

There has to be a reason we have prioritized signings in the way we have, and we have worked on a '1 deal at a time' basis'. It makes no sense why we haven't pursued a CB, other than if we only have so much money and need to prioritize the CDM before we can see what we have left.

This all needs to be ripped up and the owners and leadership need to do what is necessary. Three bids going In this week for three players. Get it boxed and redeem yourselves.

Bellingham or the  two 8's we got were seen as the solution to the midfield and we had 3 departures in that spot, which freed up space as well. The rest, the centre back and 6, is all dependent on people leaving or availability of players. If we really thought a centre back was crucial, we wouldn't wait this long.