You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should we sign him?   

174 members have voted

1. 1. Should we sign him?

3 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

I've just watched it back and I think the lines would have had him off. But, yeah, it's tight. What's also noticeable is that the Spurs player (Son I think) sees his run and plays it quickly, rather than take an extra touch, turn inside, come back again, take another touch before deciding to knock it forward.

Or do we not play the quick one touch stuff because we think Nunez will be offside?

Nothing wrong with our play around the box yesterday in the first half. 

We’ve scored the 3rd most goals this season. I’m sure I’ve read we’ve made the most big chances or have the highest XG (not a perfect stat but a reasonable indicator of performance), we clearly are very good going forwards. 

17 minutes ago, Trojan1892 said:

Hes the closest striker to what we need imo who’s available and for the right price unless something can be struck with Nunez and we cut our losses or a player swap deal.

I think his time is up 

Who Vlahovic? Id be surprised to be honest. I really think there are just two options for strikers at the highest level now. Either you get one who is technically awesome and who contributes in every part of the game at a high level, including defensively. Or you get someone who scores so much that they dont really have to do anything else. Like Haaland. Anything in between those two types and you are found wanting. Although someone like Giroud I would say is a bit of an outlier. 

15 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Best fans in the world 

He misses from 6 yards and every cunt chants  Nunez Nunez Nunez ffs.

I don’t think anyone has had more support from the fans than him in recent memory….

Crouch possibly when he went lots of games before his Wigan goal, there is no time for sentiment he ain’t good enough fuck him off or we’ll be having the same debates next season where we’ve had 400 shots in a game and he’s missed 399 of them AGAIN.

5 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

What posts in here do you both disagree with? It’s certainly one of the more adult conversations on here. 

I’m sure nobody on here went on Instagram last night and gave him pelters.

We all want, well I certainly do, Nunez to become the 25+ goal a season striker we all anticipated him to be. There are serious question marks and whether he’ll get there and I think the vast majority of comments are fair. 

And that's the problem mate everyone expected him to become that striker. While he hasn't hit those heights and its frustrating when he misses easy chances let's not forget he has hit the woodwork 14 times this season and that's just a case of not getting the rub of the green. If he had scored half of those he would have been around the 20 goal mark and we wouldn't be having this conversation. He will be here next season I think so let's see what a different manager can do with him.

There was definitely less support when he came on yesterday.

Apparently there has been some poisonous social media stuff aswell  

Just aswell he didn't miss an open goal eh?

You can't fault his workrate(he chased down 3 defenders at one point yesterday) and his heart,but strikers are ultimately judged on goals. I think they may offload him in the summer. 

19 minutes ago, Trojan1892 said:

He misses from 6 yards and every cunt chants  Nunez Nunez Nunez ffs.

I don’t think anyone has had more support from the fans than him in recent memory….

Crouch possibly when he went lots of games before his Wigan goal, there is no time for sentiment he ain’t good enough fuck him off or we’ll be having the same debates next season where we’ve had 400 shots in a game and he’s missed 399 of them AGAIN.

Support from the fans?

It's just crazy enough to work.

1 minute ago, Arniepie said:

You can't fault his workrate(he chased down 3 defenders at one point yesterday) and his heart,but strikers are ultimately judged on goals. I think they may offload him in the summer. 

How much could we realistically expect if we sold him though. And who in their right mind would buy him? 

1 minute ago, chrisbonnie said:

How much could we realistically expect if we sold him though. And who in their right mind would buy him? 

Personally I'd give him another year but they may cut their losses now

Unless he's burnt his bridges by having his little hissy fit he still might, new manager, new start, maybe it'll finally click for him.

Next season seems like his final chance though, at the end of it he'll have two years left and the club will either have to start thinking about a new contract or sell him.

2 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Irrelevant to the point I’ve made. 

Not. Have a think about players being able to do things they weren’t doing the season before. 

4 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

Personally I'd give him another year but they may cut their losses now

Yeah, me too. He gets a chance for a fresh start with a new coach. He's a volume shooter in a game where you need to be clinical. He's had some terrible luck with marginal moments, and it's all made worse when the rest of the attack is also missing everything, but he creates chances at such a rate he could still come around to the point where he makes a major impact.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, andyj said:

And that's the problem mate everyone expected him to become that striker. While he hasn't hit those heights and its frustrating when he misses easy chances let's not forget he has hit the woodwork 14 times this season and that's just a case of not getting the rub of the green. If he had scored half of those he would have been around the 20 goal mark and we wouldn't be having this conversation. He will be here next season I think so let's see what a different manager can do with him.

Appreciate that the woodwork is could be viewed as unlucky, don’t mean to sound pedantic or arsey here, luck doesn’t exist.

The odd chance here and there, yeah, Ok. 

We’re past the point of “unlucky” here, we’re well, well into wasteful. 

Hopefully, like what happened to Suarez after he hit the post so often, a new coach comes in and the net bulges significantly more often…. I really, really want to happen for him / us, I’m increasingly unconvinced it’ll happen. 

3 minutes ago, bossy said:

Not. Have a think about players being able to do things they weren’t doing the season before. 

Ok. Not the way I read it. Fair enough, I hope you’re right. 

1 hour ago, El Dangerous said:

Whilst I wholeheartedly agree that if Klopp can’t teach them no one can I think it’s fair to say that Diaz, Gakpo and Nunez have far from flourished under Kloppo and if they were all to leave today only Diaz can say his reputation is enhanced. That’s nothing to do with Klopp, a fair bit to do with the players and a little bit to do with them being good players in the wrong team. Should our system change to accommodate them better then one or two might kick on a bit under Slot. It won’t be Nunez.

We changed our system to accommodate Nunez though, he's just been missing far too many easy chances. 

4 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

Yeah the social, media shit is out of order how does that help players? No matter what team you play for its scummy disgusting behaviour and needs stamping on.

His workmate is fantastic I think he has 2 problems 1 he us too fast for his own good and tries to bury every shot with power those that he has scored this season have been simple and hasn't really had to think about the finishing. I love the guy he gives it all when he plays but I do get frustrated with him and those that get on his back its not like he is the only player to get caught offside.

Give him another season see what Slot can do with him.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Appreciate that the woodwork is could be viewed as unlucky, don’t mean to sound pedantic or arsey here, luck doesn’t exist.

Hopefully, like what happened to Suarez after he hit the post so often, a new coach comes in and the net bulges significantly more often…. I really, really want to happen for him / us, I’m increasingly unconvinced it’ll happen. 

Nah its fine mate opinions  are like arseholes we all have one. I make no secret that I love the guy and I want it to work for him but I accept there comes a time when the club has to say its not working. But I hope he has another season and Slot gets him firing

Why are people saying give him another season? This isn't some pet project community sports club, we are still in the top 10 football teams in the world (even after the last 2 seasons)

He's had long enough, he does dumb shit, misses sitters, can't win headers, doesn't hold the ball up well, shows bad touches, makes bad runs

Sell him, he's not the level we need and not the level you need for an elite football club wanting to win leagues and champions leagues. He's had his chance, 2 full seasons, he can't complain. 

12 minutes ago, andyj said:

Yeah the social, media shit is out of order how does that help players? No matter what team you play for its scummy disgusting behaviour and needs stamping on.

I completely agree, he shouldn’t have to put up with that. 

Unfortunately, less educated supporters / social media gobshites will be saying…

* Gave the ball away needlessly for Antony to equalise in the FA Cup - we should be lining up for another Cup Final in 3 weeks.

* Should have put us 2-0 up at Old Trafford.

* Should have put us 1-0 up v Atalanta. 

* Should have equalised v Palace. 

* Should have equalised v Everton. 

… these weren’t difficult opportunities either. If he had have done these, who knows how the end of the season might be shaping up. 

I know he isn’t the only one who could be singled out (Salah & Diaz have been wasteful, mistakes at the back etc), unfortunately because its the same shit so often, he’s an easy target. 

Not saying it’s right, it clearly isn’t, I do think a lot of supporters patience has ran out.  

3 minutes ago, Mil-ing Around said:

Why are people saying give him another season? This isn't some pet project community sports club, we are still in the top 10 football teams in the world (even after the last 2 seasons)

He's had long enough, he does dumb shit, misses sitters, can't win headers, doesn't hold the ball up well, shows bad touches, makes bad runs

Sell him, he's not the level we need and not the level you need for an elite football club wanting to win leagues and champions leagues. He's had his chance, 2 full seasons, he can't complain. 

Can't win headers

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKdCe3q9sR0

3 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I completely agree, he shouldn’t have to put up with that. 

Unfortunately, less educated supporters / social media gobshites will be saying…

* Gave the ball away needlessly for Antony to equalise in the FA Cup - we should be lining up for another Cup Final in 3 weeks.

* Should have put us 2-0 up at Old Trafford.

* Should have put us 1-0 up v Atalanta. 

* Should have equalised v Palace. 

* Should have equalised v Everton. 

… these weren’t difficult opportunities either. If he had have done these, who knows how the end of the season might be shaping up. 

I know he isn’t the only one who could be singled out (Salah & Diaz have been wasteful, mistakes at the back etc), unfortunately because its the same shit so often, he’s an easy target. 

Not saying it’s right, it clearly isn’t, I do think a lot of supporters patience has ran out.  

You can't put team results on individual moments like that. 

Atalanta,we were woeful all over the and and they could have had 5 or 6.

To say the result would be have been different if nunez had taken 1 chance,is absurd.

30 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I don't remember Suarez hitting the post so often at all. I remember him hitting the back of the net a ton though.

This narrative of Suarez struggling early in his Liverpool career before coming good is bizarre to me; he hit the ground running and continued on in that same vein until he went mental.