You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

I suppose there is no point having Elliott or Carvalho in the first team squad if they aren’t going to get minutes. 

I think my issue is like it was with the attackers - when we had somebody put, the drop in quality to Origi or Minamino was too great.

Maybe not quite the same as Jones, Elliott & Carvalho are unproven rather than not good enough. It still feels like a big question mark. 

I wonder if being allowed to have 5 subs has played a role in not getting somebody else in? Hopefully Hendo or Thiago won’t need to play 90 mins every week and we’ll be able to rotate. Also, if it isn’t going well, we have extra options from the bench. 

I hsve ssid it before , i think Carvalho is going to get plenty of game time. The lad is quality

54 minutes ago, aRdja said:

We have Thiago, Hendo, Fabinho, Milner, Keita, Jones, Elliott, and now Carvalho for three positions. Who else have better depth there in the league?

The argument for new players is not necessarily about numbers but about quality, skillset and reliability.

If Thiago, Hendo and Fabinho were as durable as Hendo, Fabino and Gini were in the title winning season then everyone would be quite relaxed. As that midfield does a lot of things really well. However Thiago historically misses lots of games, as does Naby. As they get older that is unlikely to improve.

Playing a high tempo is key to the way we play and so we need players that are able to do that week in week out. Players susceptible to injury are going to struggle with that as is Hendo, who visibly seemed off it for long parts last season and while Milly is particularly fit, at 36/37, does he still have the level of quality to perform week in week out? 

Jones looks like he has potential but is he that great defensively? Wouldnt be surprised if he went out on loan or was sold. Jurgen normally never gives players a bit of a telling off in public but he did do that with Jones. As did Carsley. Maybe they feel he reacts better to that but maybe he is running out of time if his attitude isnt what they want consistently?

Elliott and Carvalho look very bright attacking prospects but Elliott particularly is coming back from a bad injury and you can see their time being managed.

Lastly their is the skillset. Yes we are heavy in numbers but we lack defensive pace and energy. There were a number of times last season where we lost control from winning positions (Brentford, Chelsea, Brighton, Spurs, Man City) and times where we were completely outplayed (Man City away with our best midfield playing). Times when midfield players running at pace or playing between the lines caused us huge  problems (League and FA Cup finals, West Ham away and at home, Watford at home, Leicester away, Man City at home, RM CL final) and we were usually saved by poor finishing/great goalkeeping. 

The examples cited maybe fine margins and it completely is but in truth City will improve this season and if we stand any chance of beating them we will need to as well. Being able to play a pretty consistent 3 all season would also help. Not sure how we do that currently. Also, of all out options, we lack in all of them exactly what Liverpool were supposedly looking for - a player like Tchouameni. Athletic, strong, quick, reads the game well and that would have gone a long way in helping us get over the line last season. I dont see how Elliott, Jones, Carvalho or Hendo will morph into that player. They have great skills but not those particular set of skills and without that type of player I personally struggle to see how we bridge the gap. I really hope I am wrong.

I understand that we want to wait for the right players and I agree with that. That said, I do struggle to believe that the only two players in World football that offer that are Tchouameni and Bellingham. Especially as Bellingham and Tchouameni are very different players. I also don't see that they have to be absolutely brilliant right now to get into this squad, they just need to have skills that some of the others dont have and potentially be young enough to improve others.

I still think there is an element of bluff going on anyway. We have been linked to loads of the same type of Tchouameni type of player for months - Onana, Sangare, Zakaria - and the likes of Neil Jones were saying that he expected the midfielder we signed not to be Tchouameni and the club also made it be known that they didnt expect to sign Tchouameni. We would have known privately that Mane was off months ago and probably why Klopp was looking really intently at Nunez. We also would have known that with Haaland going to City, Bellingham would be a 2023 target. So what changed in the last 2 weeks?

Personally reckon that the club are probably getting quoted ridiculous amounts because they think we are desperate for a midfielder and have a "Tchouameni" budget left to spend. By making it known that we are prepared to wait - albeit for a player with a completely different skillset - we can possibly gain more leverage in negotiations. Joyce did give himself the get out that we were "likely" not to sign anyone else and not that we definetly will not even if the right opportunity came along.

If not, if anyone is going to get us close/over the line though it is Jurgen and his staff.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, HBenn said:

The argument for new players is not necessarily about numbers but about quality, skillset and reliability.

If Thiago, Hendo and Fabinho were as durable as Hendo, Fabino and Gini were in the title winning season then everyone would be quite relaxed. As that midfield does a lot of things really well. However Thiago historically misses lots of games, as does Naby. As they get older that is unlikely to improve.

Playing a high tempo is key to the way we play and so we need players that are able to do that week in week out. Players susceptible to injury are going to struggle with that as is Hendo, who visibly seemed off it for long parts last season and while Milly is particularly fit, at 36/37, does he still have the level of quality to perform week in week out? 

Jones looks like he has potential but is he that great defensively? Wouldnt be surprised if he went out on loan or was sold. Jurgen normally never gives players a bit of a telling off in public but he did do that with Jones. As did Carsley. Maybe they feel he reacts better to that but maybe he is running out of time if his attitude isnt what they want consistently?

Elliott and Carvalho look very bright attacking prospects but Elliott particularly is coming back from a bad injury and you can see their time being managed.

Lastly their is the skillset. Yes we are heavy in numbers but we lack defensive pace and energy. There were a number of times last season where we lost control from winning positions (Brentford, Chelsea, Brighton, Spurs, Man City) and times where we were completely outplayed (Man City away with our best midfield playing). Times when midfield players running at pace or playing between the lines caused us huge  problems (League and FA Cup finals, West Ham away and at home, Watford at home, Leicester away, Man City at home, RM CL final) and we were usually saved by poor finishing/great goalkeeping. 

The examples cited maybe fine margins and it completely is but in truth City will improve this season and if we stand any chance of beating them we will need to as well. Being able to play a pretty consistent 3 all season would also help. Not sure how we do that currently. Also, of all out options, we lack in all of them exactly what Liverpool were supposedly looking for - a player like Tchouameni. Athletic, strong, quick, reads the game well and that would have gone a long way in helping us get over the line last season. I dont see how Elliott, Jones, Carvalho or Hendo will morph into that player. They have great skills but not those particular set of skills and without that type of player I personally struggle to see how we bridge the gap. I really hope I am wrong.

I understand that we want to wait for the right players and I agree with that. That said, I do struggle to believe that the only two players in World football that offer that are Tchouameni and Bellingham. Especially as Bellingham and Tchouameni are very different players. I also don't see that they have to be absolutely brilliant right now to get into this squad, they just need to have skills that some of the others dont have and potentially be young enough to improve others.

I still think there is an element of bluff going on anyway. We have been linked to loads of the same type of Tchouameni type of player for months - Onana, Sangare, Zakaria - and the likes of Neil Jones were saying that he expected the midfielder we signed not to be Tchouameni and the club also made it be known that they didnt expect to sign Tchouameni. We would have known privately that Mane was off months ago and probably why Klopp was looking really intently at Nunez. We also would have known that with Haaland going to City, Bellingham would be a 2023 target. So what changed in the last 2 weeks?

Personally reckon that the club are probably getting quoted ridiculous amounts because they think we are desperate for a midfielder and have a "Tchouameni" budget left to spend. By making it known that we are prepared to wait - albeit for a player with a completely different skillset - we can possibly gain more leverage in negotiations. Joyce did give himself the get out that we were "likely" not to sign anyone else and not that we definetly will not even if the right opportunity came along.

If not, if anyone is going to get us close/over the line though it is Jurgen and his staff.

We could probably only sign one of Tchouameni or Darwin. 

It's always the same with us and transfers, we can think we need this profile, this skillset, but the way we seem to work is we wait for the availability of players we rate. It doesn't seem to be about filling a need. 

I think Ox is done for but he’ll be playing for a new contract somewhere so could prove a useful squad member. I’d let Jones go on loan even if we don’t add anymore bodies, he’s a decent player but unless he steps it up a couple of gears he won’t be anything more than decent. Get him out of his comfort zone and see what he can do with less pressure to make every single opportunity count.

13 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

We could probably only sign one of Tchouameni or Darwin. 

It's always the same with us and transfers, we can think we need this profile, this skillset, but the way we seem to work is we wait for the availability of players we rate. It doesn't seem to be about filling a need. 

It does seem a slightly strange way to operate but you could well be right.

That suggests though that had they got Tchouameni then they wouldnt have bothered replacing Mane (as surely they knew he was off when they were supposedly bidding for Tchou) and yet Nunez on the face of it will change the way we play significantly. It is interesting that they would be that fluid in something as significant in how we play. For instance, with Nunez as a focal point up front you would think there will be less interchanging and fluidity, so will Mo's role change as well?

I am not convinced that we believed we had a real chance with Tchouameni and have had someone else in our sights with his skillset for a while. I just have a feeling that this will be like Alisson in 2018. We pretend that we dont really need said player all summer (in that case even as Karius is dropping it into the net in the warmup!!) and then when the selling club eventually drop their price, swoop in for the player we wanted all along. Could well be wrong!

It's a mad busy hectic season next season, the fitness of Fabinho, Henderson, Thiago, Keita, Ox, Milner is key. We'll maybe not Ox but still last season I think we needed a midfielder but the team was exceptional, can we go again. Its good waiting for the player you really want but if that's Bellingham next year he could end up way out of our price range by then or someone else could catch his eye. Anyway I only get so many seasons in my life and even fewer with Klopp in them. All I'm saying is buy me a nice shiny new thing because I'm bored with Nunez now.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, HBenn said:

It does seem a slightly strange way to operate but you could well be right.

That suggests though that had they got Tchouameni then they wouldnt have bothered replacing Mane (as surely they knew he was off when they were supposedly bidding for Tchou) and yet Nunez on the face of it will change the way we play significantly. It is interesting that they would be that fluid in something as significant in how we play. For instance, with Nunez as a focal point up front you would think there will be less interchanging and fluidity, so will Mo's role change as well?

I am not convinced that we believed we had a real chance with Tchouameni and have had someone else in our sights with his skillset for a while. I just have a feeling that this will be like Alisson in 2018. We pretend that we dont really need said player all summer (in that case even as Karius is dropping it into the net in the warmup!!) and then when the selling club eventually drop their price, swoop in for the player we wanted all along. Could well be wrong!

Yeah, I was asking the question if we'd have replaced Mane. I don't think so. From what we were told when we signed Diaz, he was going to be a target this summer, but we moved it ahead. He's probably the Mane replacement. Darwin is something else. Honestly, maybe the Salah replacement a year early. A lot of these players end up overlapping. Also, from Klopp's comments, I don't think he believes that Darwin is much of a departure stylistically.  He's not a focal point, he moves around, drifts to the wings, etc... He actually specifically says this about how he attacks all the spaces and how good a fit he is for us. 

If we sign a midfielder, it will be that someone we like becomes available. I think it's just that simple, I doubt it's a mind games thing. We could do with an upgrade, but we already have the numbers in midfield and it's not like we'll be short if we don't get one or have an enormous lack of quality there, like when Karius was our keeper. 

8 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

It's a mad busy hectic season next season, the fitness of Fabinho, Henderson, Thiago, Keita, Ox, Milner is key. We'll maybe not Ox but still last season I think we needed a midfielder but the team was exceptional, can we go again. Its good waiting for the player you really want but if that's Bellingham next year he could end up way out of our price range by then or someone else could catch his eye. Anyway I only get so many seasons in my life and even fewer with Klopp in them. All I'm saying is buy me a nice shiny new thing because I'm bored with Nunez now.

5 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Yeah, I was asking the question if we'd have replaced Mane. I don't think so. From what we were told when we signed Diaz, he was going to be a target this summer, but we moved it ahead. He's probably the Mane replacement. Darwin is something else. Honestly, maybe the Salah replacement a year early. A lot of these players end up overlapping. Also, from Klopp's comments, I don't think he believes that Darwin is much of a departure stylistically.  He's not a focal point, he moves around, drifts to the wings, etc... He actually specifically says this about how he attacks all the spaces and how good a fit he is for us. 

If we sign a midfielder, it will be that someone we like becomes available. I think it's just that simple, I doubt it's a mind games thing. We could do with an upgrade, but we already have the numbers in midfield and it's not like we'll be short if we don't get one or have an enormous lack of quality there, like when Karius was our keeper. 

We'd have signed a midfielder and a forward if we got Tchouameni.

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

Thanks, Jurgs. 

Klopps been going on about the depth and how he's changed his opinion this season, we'd clearly drawn up a list of forwards including Nunez to replace Mane even though Diaz is Mane's direct positional replacement.

Even after Tchouameni went to Madrid and we'd signed Nunez the suggestion is the transfers are finished only because our alternative to Tchouameni isn't attainable this summer so it stands to reason that if they were we'd try and sign them.

You could argue that if we'd signed Bellingham or Tchouameni that we would have signed a different forward but I think a forward was always on the cards.

1 minute ago, TD_LFC said:

Klopps been going on about the depth and how he's changed his opinion this season, we'd clearly drawn up a list of forwards including Nunez to replace Mane even though Diaz is Mane's direct positional replacement.

Even after Tchouameni went to Madrid and we'd signed Nunez the suggestion is the transfers are finished only because our alternative to Tchouameni isn't attainable this summer so it stands to reason that if they were we'd try and sign them.

You could argue that if we'd signed Bellingham or Tchouameni that we would have signed a different forward but I think a forward was always on the cards.

Maybe. Not sure why you answered that like an absolute.

19 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Yeah, that is an interesting take on the attack I had not considered. Maybe it is to do with Mo going more than I had thought about or maybe they do just see him floating more than is obvious on first impressions. 

You could again well be right re the midfield.

Personally though the midfield is a really headscratcher. We have lots of numbers, more than we should reasonably need, and yet we lack certain skills that mean teams are always in the game against us. I cannot see or believe that we look at the midfield options and are prepared to go again with it. Great attack, great defence, quality keeper and yet a midfield that is super fragile and missing some real key qualities whenever Fabinho and Thiago don't play (and sometimes when they do). I dont even think we need to spend huge numbers to improve our options.

At the end of the day though, if Jurgen is happy with it then what does it matter. He will have us there or there abouts. 

In recent years, we've made a habit of putting it out there that we aren't making additions to certain positions even though it appears counter-intuitive. We've then gone out and brought someone in for precisely those positions. By putting it out there that we aren't actively looking for recruitments does 2 things. Firstly, our recruitment team can work on things in the background, and secondly, the players we do have (the younger players in particular) are given the impression that the club still wants them and that they'll be involved.

21 minutes ago, Trumo said:

In recent years, we've made a habit of putting it out there that we aren't making additions to certain positions even though it appears counter-intuitive. We've then gone out and brought someone in for precisely those positions. By putting it out there that we aren't actively looking for recruitments does 2 things. Firstly, our recruitment team can work on things in the background, and secondly, the players we do have (the younger players in particular) are given the impression that the club still wants them and that they'll be involved.

Yes, wondering if this is the plan now. Trying to give the impression that having potentially missed out on Tchouameni they are a) not desperate for a player b) dont have £80M to spend on one.

I think they're genuinely not desperate for a player rather than it being an act.

They have a successful strategy of waiting for the right conditions for players they really want, making calculated gambles on low priced players they think they can make money back on or signing young players they think they can develop.

What they don't do is panic and pay more than they want to for players they aren't fully sold on just for the sake of buying a player.