You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

16 minutes ago, an tha said:

Yeah...Oxlade is useless.

5 minutes ago, HBenn said:

Agree with this. We have loads of players but not one that is quick and athletic and fills the spaces quickly.

Both Keita and Ox are exactly this. Might not be good enough at it.

2 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

I don't think either of them are really suited to the way that we expect our midfielders to play. 

I think they were both bought to fill the exact roles we expect.

Keita does press high and often, it's just that he never tracks back if he gets beaten. Just wanders about hoping the defenders sort it out.

Ox is similar, even worse positionally as well. Hardly ever seens to be in the right place to press. I'm probably one of Ox's biggest defenders on here but it's really noticeable how easy we are to play through when he's playing in midfield.

29 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Both Keita and Ox are exactly this. Might not be good enough at it.

I think they were both bought to fill the exact roles we expect.

I agree with that description of Ox but I just don't see that pace or athleticism with Naby. He always looks like he is running through treacle to me. Maybe it's the injuries and the lack of games impacting his rhythm.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, HBenn said:

I agree with that description of Ox but I just don't see that pace or athleticism with Naby. He always looks like he is running through treacle to me. Maybe it's the injuries and the lack of games impacting his rhythm.

He presses effectively high. It is just one of those things.

2 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

Eriksen on a free could be a good stop gap signing. We could rotate him and Thiago over the course of the season.

You mean play him when Thiago isn't fit right? 

I'm not that bothered by him. Fine if we aren't signing anyone else because he's free but I want Jones to step up. 

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

You mean play him when Thiago isn't fit right? 

I'm not that bothered by him. Fine if we aren't signing anyone else because he's free but I want Jones to step up. 

Yeah, if we could get around 24 league starts from Thiago and then 14 from Eriksen, plus bring him on for Thiago if we are winning comfortably etc. 

I would prefer Jones to step up too, but I just don't see it happening. 

2 hours ago, El Rojo said:

I always, always forget Keita when I make a list of our midfielders. The best thing about him was still the anticipation of that year before he arrived. 

Not saying he hasn't been a disappointment but I think Keita still has the highest percentage of wins/games played of any of our players, bar Virgil, so he's not exactly been the steaming pile of shite people pretend.

9 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

He presses effectively high. It is just one of those things.

Sorry, I am not sure what that means.

For me, at his best he sometimes wins a ball in the final third but invariably teams play around him and he doesn't have the pace or recovery pace to get back and we end up being exposed, his confidence drops and he ends up neither defending or attacking effectively.

As I say, I would prefer, if he does play to play him in front of 2 holding players or one with real pace. Then let him just do what he is good at, driving at defences. If he wins back the ball occasionally then that is a bonus. 

11 hours ago, an tha said:

Yeah...Oxlade is useless.

Injury has basically done for him ...i was never a fan anyway but injury has killed anything he did have going for him, he's a shell of a player and no use to us now at all.

If we can get anything half decent for him we absolutely should.

Last season we struggled a lot in first half of season to put out same midfield two games in a row, it really was a revolving door game to game and we were rarely able to put out our "best 3" ....2nd half of season it settled more and it is no surprise to see our results improved.

Take the much criticised home draw with Brighton for example - we started that game with Keita, Henderson and Jones and Keita went off injured after 20 mins.

The next week at West Ham it was Oxlade, Fabinho and Henderson who started....

Some of the chopping and changing in the very early part of season was really unfortunate, Thiago was injured at start of season - Fabinho lost his arl fella and i think Brazil acted the twats as well stopping him playing one week....stuff like that of course is unfortunate and in Fabinho's case with his arl fella more important.

Then just as Elliott looked like he was settling he picked up a bad injury...

Hopefully this season we are more fortunate but it is IMO unlikely given the injury records of the players in there....we'll need Keita to step up and stay fit and we'll need at least one of the "kids" Elliott, Jones and Carvalho to step up too IMO if we aren't adding.

That Brighton game really frustrated me. Chamberlain come on for Keita - we were smashing them at the time and he walked on and I think in seconds set up the 2nd goal. But he was awful and his contribution helped us lose a grip of the game. It was possibly the worst I've seen him play and when the game started getting away from us, you knew there was nothing on the bench to fix it. Sometimes players have off days, it's how we use the bench to rectify that. Unfortunately he was the bench and there was nothing else and his performance came as no surprise. That was the point I realised we just have no choice but to move him on, because he just isn't good enough for premier League level. I know loads of people think he'd be fine elsewhere, but I don't believe that, I think his days in the top flight in England are done - he gets away with it with us because of the other quality around him. And it's no surprise nobody has ever tried to move for him. 

To your last point, I think this is the year Jones really needs to step up. The lad has some talent, but we just don't see it enough. I'm hoping he can come back to pre-season in good condition and get in front of keita as 4th choice. He shouldn't miss more than a couple of days of pre-season after his 3 week break, so hopefully he'll be off to a flyer. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HBenn said:

Sorry, I am not sure what that means.

For me, at his best he sometimes wins a ball in the final third but invariably teams play around him and he doesn't have the pace or recovery pace to get back and we end up being exposed, his confidence drops and he ends up neither defending or attacking effectively.

As I say, I would prefer, if he does play to play him in front of 2 holding players or one with real pace. Then let him just do what he is good at, driving at defences. If he wins back the ball occasionally then that is a bonus. 

That’s where effectively plays for us when alongside Thiago and Fabinho IMO. 

Don't see Eriksen as a back up to Thiago, he's far better further up the pitch working as an attacking 8/10 so you'd play him ahead of the Thiago Fabinho (or Henderson Fabinho/Keita Fabinho) tandem in the role Henderson and Elliot take up.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, TD_LFC said:

Don't see Eriksen as a back up to Thiago, he's far better further up the pitch working as an attacking 8/10 so you'd play him ahead of the Thiago Fabinho (or Henderson Fabinho/Keita Fabinho) tandem in the role Henderson and Elliot take up.

Yeah, wouldn't really see him winning the ball back as much as Thiago does. Great player but would hardly be a ringing endorsement of Jones, Elliott and Carvalho if he came in.

On a more practical level, I reckon Caulker (and maybe Klavan) were the only two players we signed under Klopp for a short-term purpose. He doesn't buy players for a season or two. 

Yep, think he'd prefer to wait/give a youngster the chance rather than sign someone short term and eat up wage and squad space unless a deal was too good to turn down.

Big season for Elliot, he seems like the most natural fit (when Henderson is out) to take up that attacking midfield role from the right.

53 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Yep, think he'd prefer to wait/give a youngster the chance rather than sign someone short term and eat up wage and squad space unless a deal was too good to turn down.

Big season for Elliot, he seems like the most natural fit (when Henderson is out) to take up that attacking midfield role from the right.

Elliott has pace and is far more progressive. We need to trust him and play him.

• Upvote 1

What's this obsession with Bellingham? Most English players are shit and talked up to a ridiculous degree, everyone was losing their minds about Sancho and look at him. Fucking Rodwell, all these clowns. Unless they came through the academy, stay fucking well clear - especially at that price.  

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Carra_is_legend said:

There is no way they will pay that much. This is the same tactic they have followed for years - leak the news with a high price tag to deter other clubs before trying to screw the selling club.

I never get how that works though. Doesn't Julian Ward just ring up Walcke (sp) at Dortmund and ask to be kept informed?

Btw - no way does €90m euros get Bellingham. Love how RM are so arrogant that they think they can stipulate how much it will take. He won't go for less than £100-110m all in.