You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

10 minutes ago, Daisy said:

You are surprised with FSG not doing enough? Shocked I tell thee

I also said the same last summer about wanting another attacker but being happy with the squad overall, you made several humourless comments about how can you be happy when you want another player.

Lets just say my philosophy on stuff and trusting the football people to do their job correctly has worked out quite well in the past few seasons and leave it at that.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I also said the same last summer about wanting another attacker but being happy with the squad overall, you made several humourless comments about how can you be happy when you want another player.

Lets just say my philosophy on stuff and trusting the football people to do their job correctly has worked out quite well in the past few seasons and leave it at that.

Didn't win either of the big ones last year and won't do next year either 

50 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I thought midfielder should have been priority 1 & 2 this summer. I’m surprised we aren’t going for one.

Although if we go back to the start of last season when Elliott & Hendo were playing ridiculously high forward, if you add a fit Elliott & Carvalho who could step in, numbers are Ok. 

If we do revert back to having a midfielder higher up the pitch, I hope we’ve worked out how to control the game better now.

We have Thiago, Hendo, Fabinho, Milner, Keita, Jones, Elliott, and now Carvalho for three positions. Who else have better depth there in the league?

15 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Oh and can forget the season after next as well if we have to replace Salah and get a completely new midfield 

Thanks for the heads up. I wont bother going for the next few seasons and save my money.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, aRdja said:

We have Thiago, Hendo, Fabinho, Milner, Keita, Jones, Elliott, and now Carvalho for three positions. Who else have better depth there in the league?

I suppose there is no point having Elliott or Carvalho in the first team squad if they aren’t going to get minutes. 

I think my issue is like it was with the attackers - when we had somebody put, the drop in quality to Origi or Minamino was too great.

Maybe not quite the same as Jones, Elliott & Carvalho are unproven rather than not good enough. It still feels like a big question mark. 

I wonder if being allowed to have 5 subs has played a role in not getting somebody else in? Hopefully Hendo or Thiago won’t need to play 90 mins every week and we’ll be able to rotate. Also, if it isn’t going well, we have extra options from the bench. 

9 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I suppose there is no point having Elliott or Carvalho in the first team squad if they aren’t going to get minutes. 

I think my issue is like it was with the attackers - when we had somebody put, the drop in quality to Origi or Minamino was too great.

Maybe not quite the same as Jones, Elliott & Carvalho are unproven rather than not good enough. It still feels like a big question mark. 

I wonder if being allowed to have 5 subs has played a role in not getting somebody else in? Hopefully Hendo or Thiago won’t need to play 90 mins every week and we’ll be able to rotate. Also, if it isn’t going well, we have extra options from the bench. 

The players who can go forward and carry the ball aren't really an issue at the moment, Keita, Elliot and Jones are all young and have plenty of legs in them and if we're trying to develop Carvalho into an 8/10 that adds a fourth. we need some pace/legs in the more deep lying positions though even if technically we have Henderson, Milner, Fabinho and Thiago (plus Keita in a push) who can play there.

It's certain attributes (and future proofing) more than bodies we're missing in the midfield which is why we went for Tchouameni.

1 hour ago, TD_LFC said:

Outside of the Nunez and and Mane swap we have to replace about 3,000 minutes of football with three of the four players being attackers so it's a lot to expect Carvalho to pick up that slack on his own which means either minutes for someone like Kaide Gordon or more minutes for Diaz/Jota/Salah/Firmino and Nunez.

Ox isn't going anywhere - no one will match his wages.

Minamino/Origi/Neco cannot have played more than half that between them - that is with the club playing every single possible match. In the league they maybe played a couple hundred.

Playing timewise I see it as Diaz straight swap for Mane. Nunez and Jota rotate in the middle, Firmino fills in and can come on to change things up a bit.

• Upvote 1