You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

3 hours ago, aRdja said:

And how did it turn out?

Well they didn't play very much, for different reasons, and when they did Jones especially had little impact.  We went into a European Cup final worrying about Fabinho's fitness, Thiago's too then a soap opera on the night with the latter.  Far from good preparations.

Truth is we have three midfielders good enough to start for us regularly and all three are injury prone, with their first "deputy" injury prone too.

9 hours ago, aRdja said:

This is just football though. You can’t dominate all season all the time. If you bring in Tchouameni we would still have those games where the other team cause us problems. Whenever we play Man City they will almost always win the midfield battle because on top of their midfielders playing in midfield they have other midfielders playing in forward positions e.g., Foden, Bernardo, Grealish. We on the other hand play with forwards who don’t really take care of the ball but the trade off is that they more deadly in front of goal (Salah, Mane and Jota).

I appreciate you cannot dominate matches all of the time, nobody expects that, but for us to take the next step we need to get ourselves over the line in the big games.

We didn't beat anyone in the league that finished in the top 4 last season for instance, yet lead in a number of the games. We are also heavily reliant on a player in Thiago who misses a lot of games through injury.

We smashed City at home a couple of years ago with our pace and intensity. This season they were the better team in both games and I don't see this current midfield able to provide that pace or intensity for 70-90 mins.

The better teams caused us real problems in the space between defence and midfield, particularly targeting behind Trent. Whether that was runners through that space or overloads in that area.

The fact that we still were having those issues later in the season suggests that we don't have a midfield combo that can necessarily solve it.

That is why the links with players like Tchou made sense. Bellingham less so as he plays higher up.

Clearly the better teams will still keep targeting it so it will be interesting to see what we come up with to mitigate it. Whether that be a tactical or personnel change.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, an tha said:

8 looks enough on paper but when you start to dig in and look at the make up of that 8 we are exposed.

Thiago - will miss at least a third of the season injured....Nobody who comes in to cover offers anything remotely similar.

Fabinho - will probably miss 10 league games - and is our only truly defensive midfielder....nobody who comes in to cover offers same, Hendo gets asked to do his job - balance of midfield gets upset.

Henderson - 32 years old now.

Keita - injury prone as they come....

Milner - 37 years old in Jan.

Eliott - Unproven

Jones - Still unproven IMO

Oxlade - A shell of a player, ruined by injury.

Carvalho - Unproven

Now of course one or more of the 3 kids may step up and have a breakthrough season - but it is asking a lot.

I just feel we would be better off jibbing Oxlade and probably Keita too and bringing in a quality holding type player who can boss the middle of the park with good passing range and a midfielder with legs and a bit of creativity....Most importantly we'd be upgrading on two players in terms of what skill sets they bring to the team and really critically their reliability to be fit and ready when called upon/needed and actually really push the lads in the starting positions for their spots and not see the drop off we see now when they don't or can't play.

I feel if we did that our squad would be nigh on perfect.

I don’t necessarily disagree with any of that, there are caveats to it all though. 

In terms of midfield age, look at ages of key midfielders of Real Madrid, Man City & Chelsea… just because players might be >30, doesn’t mean they still can’t contribute, especially if they are rotated properly.

I appreciate you could then say “Well Real Madrid have Camavinga, Touchameni & Valverde” or “City are replacing Fernandinho with Phillips” and you’d obviously be correct, we don’t operate in Real Madrid or Man City’s levels of wealth though. It’s pointless comparing the different clubs outlays. 

If we’re going to sign players like Elliott, Carvalho or put faith in Jones (or even Morton) then they need minutes and the best experience they can have his by playing and training with the first team. 

Although he’s not my favourite player, I don’t dislike Keita. I get he’s an easy player to pick on (I’ve done it myself!) and ultimately he’s been a disappointing signing, ignore that effort in Paris and he was quite good last season & has done enough to get a new contract. 

In terms of “We dropped points v Brentford, Brighton, Spurs, Chelsea etc” from winning positions last season, obviously that is correct, the last of which was on the 1st January in the middle of the squad being hit by COVID19. After Chelsea, we won 15/17 games with the above midfielders. To me, that would, hopefully, indicate our early season wastefulness and lack of control is gone. 

There was obviously a tactical shift in the early part of last season with Elliott playing more advanced and then Hendo did the role of bombing on. Whatever we did in the 2nd half for the season worked. Partially this would be down to Thiago’s fitness but I also think there was something more systematic. 

Finally, I don’t think we can ignore the 5 subs rule in the league next season. We have greater opportunity to rest ageing legs when we’re up or introduce them if it’s not working out. Klopp often uses all 5 subs when he has the opportunity, I’d expect plenty of rotation. 

Although my preference would be to buy somebody this summer and I’m genuinely surprised we’re not, breaking it down the other way, I can see why we’re not. As 3Stacks said on the previous page, these players nearly won it all last season, if we don’t add to that squad, it’s not a disaster. 

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Carra_is_legend said:

The 5 subs rules is the reason why we should have bought another midfielder. Despite the injuries to Thiago, Fabinho, Elliott, Milner et al, overall we were very lucky with injuries last season. Expecting the same this year with a WC thrown in the mix is asking for too much in my opinion.

Alternatively, all the sports scientists etc did their job incredibly well. 

The only player there to have a muscle related injury was Fabinho (which only kept him out for 2 weeks), the others were a result of kicks / challenges which can’t be controlled. 

3 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I'm not sure the World Cup will affect us as much as others.

Salah, Diaz, Thiago, Matip, Keita, Milner, Robertson, Ox, Elliott and Jones won't be there.

Of the players likely to go, only Henderson, Van Dijk and maybe Nunez are likely to get the lion share of minutes in their legs.

Alison and Jota too, Jota is a regular for Portugal. 

49 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Alternatively, all the sports scientists etc did their job incredibly well. 

The only player there to have a muscle related injury was Fabinho (which only kept him out for 2 weeks), the others were a result of kicks / challenges which can’t be controlled. 

Agree with the bold bit, cannot dispute that. 

The 2nd para is exactly why I said we were very lucky - certain things cannot be controlled regardless of how much of a brilliant job the sports scientists do.

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

I don’t necessarily disagree with any of that, there are caveats to it all though. 

In terms of midfield age, look at ages of key midfielders of Real Madrid, Man City & Chelsea… just because players might be >30, doesn’t mean they still can’t contribute, especially if they are rotated properly.

I appreciate you could then say “Well Real Madrid have Camavinga, Touchameni & Valverde” or “City are replacing Fernandinho with Phillips” and you’d obviously be correct, we don’t operate in Real Madrid or Man City’s levels of wealth though. It’s pointless comparing the different clubs outlays. 

If we’re going to sign players like Elliott, Carvalho or put faith in Jones (or even Morton) then they need minutes and the best experience they can have his by playing and training with the first team. 

Although he’s not my favourite player, I don’t dislike Keita. I get he’s an easy player to pick on (I’ve done it myself!) and ultimately he’s been a disappointing signing, ignore that effort in Paris and he was quite good last season & has done enough to get a new contract. 

In terms of “We dropped points v Brentford, Brighton, Spurs, Chelsea etc” from winning positions last season, obviously that is correct, the last of which was on the 1st January in the middle of the squad being hit by COVID19. After Chelsea, we won 15/17 games with the above midfielders. To me, that would, hopefully, indicate our early season wastefulness and lack of control is gone. 

There was obviously a tactical shift in the early part of last season with Elliott playing more advanced and then Hendo did the role of bombing on. Whatever we did in the 2nd half for the season worked. Partially this would be down to Thiago’s fitness but I also think there was something more systematic. 

Finally, I don’t think we can ignore the 5 subs rule in the league next season. We have greater opportunity to rest ageing legs when we’re up or introduce them if it’s not working out. Klopp often uses all 5 subs when he has the opportunity, I’d expect plenty of rotation. 

Although my preference would be to buy somebody this summer and I’m genuinely surprised we’re not, breaking it down the other way, I can see why we’re not. As 3Stacks said on the previous page, these players nearly won it all last season, if we don’t add to that squad, it’s not a disaster. 

Some really interesting points. Not thought about some from that perspective.

Our form from the New Year onwards was phenomenal. Had it been like that all season, completely unrealistic I know, we would have won the league comfortably.

Clearly there was a discussion and tactical tweak in Jan. Based on Klopp supposedly being happy with the squad you would think that you are right and he sees that they can continue that form over the course of next season.

35 minutes ago, magicrat said:

I would have liked another quality midfielder but seems unlikely. A lot depends now on Jones and Elliot really stepping up as given the 5 subs rule they are both likely to feature regularly.  

Me too but cannot think of who we could buy right now. Eriksson would be a decent short term deal but he wont fit the profile.

48 minutes ago, magicrat said:

I would have liked another quality midfielder but seems unlikely. A lot depends now on Jones and Elliot really stepping up as given the 5 subs rule they are both likely to feature regularly.  

That group of Jones, Elliot, Keita, Carvalho (though it seems he's playing as a forward in the short term) isn't really where we need to improve, they've all got the ability to play in the attacking 8.

It's the more defence minded group we need an injection of youth/pace and future proofing, Fabinho, Henderson, Milner, Thiago.

1 minute ago, TD_LFC said:

That group of Jones, Elliot, Keita, Carvalho (though it seems he's playing as a forward in the short term) isn't really where we need to improve, they've all got the ability to play in the attacking 8.

It's the more defence minded group we need an injection of youth/pace and future proofing, Fabinho, Henderson, Milner, Thiago.

Agree. See what happens over the remainder of the window.

6 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

I get where you're coming from. Add Morton to that and is it really that huge of a problem?

I think we all agree Fabinho, Hendo & Thaigo are our best starting 3 midfielders. Based on the above, that would class all of them as defensively minded. It was clear at the start of last season with Elliott starting and Hendo doing a subsequent role, that we're looking to move away from that model. Klopp talked about us being "less predictable".

It was difficult to judge how a midfield of any of the above 2 + Elliott would have worked out because both Elliott and Thiago got injured at Leeds. It didn't work with Jones in there afterwards, I put that down to fitness / rustyness from his reduced pre-season and from Hendo being a bit kamikaze. 

If we're looking to evolve and have less predictability in our side, then I think midfield might be an area we look to switch it up. We could certainly do with more goals from midfield. 

As much as we don't like his gormless grid, Foden is a good example of what we might be looking at. Started as a wide player, moved backwards & he only got better through playing. There were some bumps in the 19/20 season but he's as adept and doing a midfield and wide role now. 

30 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

He's definitely a bit of a snide. Not in Richarlison's league for that though. Not many are. Suarez maybe.

Azpilicueta's right up there. He'll be demanding the captain's armband in this particular XI. 

The Villa goalkeeper Martinez has the Number 1 slot nailed down. 

Of our own crew, Andy Robertson and Diogo Jota might make the squad. They both have a nice sense of 'game management' when required. 

Harry Kane up top, obviously. 

On 15/05/2022 at 23:37, TD_LFC said:

His future role at the club will be interesting (in a year or so's time), unless he desperately want's to continue playing relatively consistently at the top level you have to keep him at the club as a coach at some level.

Bayern do an interesting thing, and it's been picked up by Brighton, Southampton and Man Utd where they have a really experienced player that solely plays for the U23's effectively as an on field coach. They aren't guaranteed playing time ahead of younger players, or picked irrespective of form but their presence in the changing room and on the pitch is seen as good for development.

Milner as a part time player and a part of the coaching team would be a good spot for him.

Thought Milner would be ideal for this role in the future but looks like we're not waiting around.

FVc3pgdWUAERVwp?format=jpg&name=large