You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

2 hours ago, gkmacca said:

It's likely to be the latest in the seasonal saga of 'why oh why didn't FSG realise it was obvious?' complaints, and it would be hard to contest this one. You can see why financial prudence might pressure them to snap shut the wallet after a certain expense, but I don't think even now they quite get the need to gamble a bit to keep achieving the lucrative revenue that they currently get by Klopp over-achieving.

We went in to last season minus a key midfielder. We are in danger of going into next season still without a replacement for that midfielder, and maybe two players down in terms of back-up, for the oldest part of the team.

Curtis Jones was warned publicly last January that he needed to push on, and this month his England manager had to give him the very same warning - and that apparent failure to respond is worrying. Elliott didn't look that great after he returned from injury - one can hope he improves a lot, and finds a bit more pace from somewhere, but he's another with plenty to prove. Carvalho has come in, but no one seem sure where he'll play, let alone how well. Then, for a midfield that's going to need more rotation than any other part of the team, there are promising kids.

For the really big games, that's just not good enough. It wasn't good enough (as a general policy) the summer after we won the league, and it isn't good enough now. 

I get FSG's desire to be fiscally responsible - it's obviously good and sensible - but you can't keep heading into a season leaving something at the top of your 'To Do' list for the following summer. It just doesn't work like that - especially for a squad that is required to play as intensely as Klopp's is.

I doubt it's fiscal responsibility. We were in for Tchouameni. We couldn't sign him, so spent big money on our highest rated forward instead. If we don't get a midfielder, it'll be the situation where we rate nobody that's out there, or the one we want isn't available, so we don't bother. 

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Mil-ing Around said:

He's very good mate. Watch him, he is actually a top talent and if i was us i'd pay it. He's brilliant with both feet, can shoot/dribble, quick, really strong for a 19 year old and he can defend. He will be proper back up and give Trent real competition in the next few years.

He's much better than Gomez at right back, miles ahead of Neco and Milner is too slow to play there.

He's going to be a fantastic player for whoever gets him. This is one transfer i really want to happen this summer, we badly need a right back and £10 million is probably worth it for him. 

Maybe but with the Caveat that he is in Scotland where Ryan kent looks like John Barnes

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Carra_is_legend said:

I find it truly bizarre that some think we don't need a midfielder. Hendo did amazingly well last season with the number of games he played (some thru pain) but he is not getting any younger. Thiago is awesome but injury prone. We are ONE injury away from Hendo or Thiago from relying on Keita regularly! Carvalho might be absolutely ace but I don't expect him to start many games. Jones has a lot to improve with him and Elliott mostly used to start odd games but mostly to come on as the 4th or 5th sub. Same goes for Milner.

It would be madness to go into the new season with just Fab, Hendo, Thiago and Keita. 

I am sure the club see it. Especially being so driven by data and perhaps even more so since signing up with that company that uses data to predict a players likely availability.

Hendo and Thiago (possibly/probably Naby) are not suddenly going to be predicted to be able to play more games.

Also, being hot on costs, not sure the owners will be so keen to have 8 midfielders for 3 positions cause they cannot rely on 3 out of 5 to always be available/have the diverse skills needed.

5 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

We've done this loads of times. 

Yes but we also have got some of those players the following season which is not going to happen with Tchouameni. Also those seasons were a little different to the one we just had. We were within 15 mins of winning the treble and that was before the CL final. We should be looking to improve to close the gap. 

Spend money to get a midfielder now and then look to spend a very minimal amount next summer should be the way forward.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Carra_is_legend said:

I find it truly bizarre that some think we don't need a midfielder. Hendo did amazingly well last season with the number of games he played (some thru pain) but he is not getting any younger. Thiago is awesome but injury prone. We are ONE injury away from Hendo or Thiago to relying on Keita regularly! Carvalho might be absolutely ace but I don't expect him to start many games. Jones has a lot to improve with him and Elliott mostly used to start odd games but mostly to come on as the 4th or 5th sub. Same goes for Milner.

It would be madness to go into the new season with just Fab, Hendo, Thiago and Keita. 

EDIT: It would be even more bizarre to go from trying to sign Tchouameni to no one. 

That "some" appears to include Jurgen Klopp. Numbers are absolutely fine, it's really simple, do we retain Jones or replace him? There isn't the game time for his development if we sign another starter.

8 minutes ago, Carra_is_legend said:

Yes but we also have got some of those players the following season which is not going to happen with Tchouameni. Also those seasons were a little different to the one we just had. We were within 15 mins of winning the treble and that was before the CL final. We should be looking to improve to close the gap. 

Spend money to get a midfielder now and then look to spend a very minimal amount next summer should be the way forward.

The lad who went to Real was clearly our first choice. Bellingham would seem to be high up there too, and he isn't available this summer, it appears.

I guess it depends on how much faith/interest the numbers folk and Klopp have in the options that follow those on the list and how much they'd improve us. Would we have gone for our third choice if Alisson and whoever was second on the list that summer weren't available?

11 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

The lad who went to Real was clearly our first choice. Bellingham would seem to be high up there too, and he isn't available this summer, it appears.

I guess it depends on how much faith/interest the numbers folk and Klopp have in the options that follow those on the list and how much they'd improve us. Would we have gone for our third choice if Alisson and whoever was second on the list that summer weren't available?

I got the impression that Bellingham and Tchouameni were different types of players and that the suggestion was we would look to bring in a player like Tchouameni this summer and Bellingham next.

Unless we really believed we were actually getting Tchouameni this summer - most of the local journos have been at pains to say we didn't - I don't see what has really changed in the last few weeks.

These deals like Nunez don't just happen overnight. It's months of prep for big deals. The club would have known Sadio wanted out for weeks/months so I cannot see that would have changed our plans much either.

24 minutes ago, No2 said:

That "some" appears to include Jurgen Klopp. Numbers are absolutely fine, it's really simple, do we retain Jones or replace him? There isn't the game time for his development if we sign another starter.

So if we were in for Tchouameni would that suggest the writing is on the wall for Jones? Cannot see he would have been coming here as a 4-5th place option for the money they were talking.

The annoying thing is that I remember the Jounalists that have links to the club saying last summer that, it will be a lot easier to sign a midfielder next (this) summer.

We are likely to see Salah and Firmino leave next summer, so will need major investment to replace them as well.

32 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

The annoying thing is that I remember the Jounalists that have links to the club saying last summer that, it will be a lot easier to sign a midfielder next (this) summer.

We are likely to see Salah and Firmino leave next summer, so will need major investment to replace them as well.

We've bought 3 forwards in 3 years. Realistically, there's not much more we can do with the forward line. We'll probably add one more next season if either Firmino or Salah go. That's feasible. It's not a big reconstruction all at once. The midfield I guess it depends on if who we like is available. Not sure there's a timetable there.

3 hours ago, Carra_is_legend said:

We won’t though, the players you mentioned previously are genuine midfield options for us, along with Carvalho presumably.