You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

47 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I'm not all in on Bellingham anyway.

Yeah I've changed my mind a bit. Certainly not as a big marquee midfield signing. He's looked a bit shit the last few times I've seen him. I'm sure he will be ace in a few years. 

Give me Goretzka. 

13 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

I think they're genuinely not desperate for a player rather than it being an act.

They have a successful strategy of waiting for the right conditions for players they really want, making calculated gambles on low priced players they think they can make money back on or signing young players they think they can develop.

What they don't do is panic and pay more than they want to for players they aren't fully sold on just for the sake of buying a player.

I am not saying they are desperate, I am saying that even if they were they would do everything to avoid giving that impression as it kills your negotiating position. 

Using Alisson as an example. Clearly within the club they had decided they needed Alisson but weren't going to be held to ransom for him and so publicly they pretended they were very happy with their options. Then the price came down to a suitable number.

For all we know, that could be exactly what is happening now with a player. Clearly they feel they need a player that gives them what Tchouameni would otherwise we wouldnt be prepared to pay such a big amount for him or be looking at similar players like him. How much they want a player like that or are prepared to pay for it only they know. 

I just don't see that it was one of Tchou or Bellingham as they are very different types of players.

5 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

I'd have Suarez for a year. What an option to have off the bench

13 goals and 3 assists last season for a defensive as fuck A Madrid side. I Honestly, offer him 100K for a year and I reckon he would take it. Play him in the cups and as a fifth sub he scores 10-15 goals for us, especially helpful in lowblocks.

It would be immeasurably helpful for Darwin too to have a fellow countryman. 

It makes so much fucking sense ffs.

We can speculate on smokescreens and negotiating positions and all that, but the fact is; we currently have 8 midfielders, plus Carvalho who may play there. Even if Chamberlain goes, which is no given, 7 + Carvalho is a big enough number. 

The need won't be seen as urgent, unless someone like Tchouameni, who they clearly loved, was available. 

Forward depth is almost a bigger need at this point, with Origi, Mané and Minamino probably going. With 1 coming in and maybe Gordon getting more time. 

I doubt anything else will happen.

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I bet Carvalho and Elliott will play a big role. As versatile players who float between the midfield and forward line and sort of give us options and depth in both areas. 

I'd love to see what Elliot offers some day , because I've seen nothing yet that suggests he's anything special. Happy to be proved wrong of course 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Fabio Vieira to Arsenal is interesting. Hard to believe you can play him and Odegaard at the same time, the profiles look really similar. They must think he's an absolute star. 

He preference is to play in the 8 apparently, and he only made 15 starts last season at the age of 22.

My money is on: he'll be shit.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

We can speculate on smokescreens and negotiating positions and all that, but the fact is; we currently have 8 midfielders, plus Carvalho who may play there. Even if Chamberlain goes, which is no given, 7 + Carvalho is a big enough number. 

The need won't be seen as urgent, unless someone like Tchouameni, who they clearly loved, was available. 

Forward depth is almost a bigger need at this point, with Origi, Mané and Minamino probably going. With 1 coming in and maybe Gordon getting more time. 

I doubt anything else will happen.

It's too big a number and so imagine it will be reduced to cut costs. Whether the 8 offer enough quality or breadth is another matter.

15 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Fabio Vieira to Arsenal is interesting. Hard to believe you can play him and Odegaard at the same time, the profiles look really similar. They must think he's an absolute star. 

Stick in a sneaky bid for Smith-Rowe now while they’re distracted.

That kid could be a star.

• Upvote 1

8 looks enough on paper but when you start to dig in and look at the make up of that 8 we are exposed.

Thiago - will miss at least a third of the season injured....Nobody who comes in to cover offers anything remotely similar.

Fabinho - will probably miss 10 league games - and is our only truly defensive midfielder....nobody who comes in to cover offers same, Hendo gets asked to do his job - balance of midfield gets upset.

Henderson - 32 years old now.

Keita - injury prone as they come....

Milner - 37 years old in Jan.

Eliott - Unproven

Jones - Still unproven IMO

Oxlade - A shell of a player, ruined by injury.

Carvalho - Unproven

Now of course one or more of the 3 kids may step up and have a breakthrough season - but it is asking a lot.

I just feel we would be better off jibbing Oxlade and probably Keita too and bringing in a quality holding type player who can boss the middle of the park with good passing range and a midfielder with legs and a bit of creativity....Most importantly we'd be upgrading on two players in terms of what skill sets they bring to the team and really critically their reliability to be fit and ready when called upon/needed and actually really push the lads in the starting positions for their spots and not see the drop off we see now when they don't or can't play.

I feel if we did that our squad would be nigh on perfect.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

13 goals and 3 assists last season for a defensive as fuck A Madrid side. I Honestly, offer him 100K for a year and I reckon he would take it. Play him in the cups and as a fifth sub he scores 10-15 goals for us, especially helpful in lowblocks.

It would be immeasurably helpful for Darwin too to have a fellow countryman. 

It makes so much fucking sense ffs.

Too much sense although I don’t know if Klopp would fancy it. He seems sound off the pitch dressing room etc but … fuck it it should be done 

Dave have a word 

8 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Talk of Lautaro Martinez to Spurs for 60ml

Where the fuck all this money coming from with the stadium debt and massive loans they took out for covid

They announced earlier that they'd be getting 150m in capital from their ownership or something like that.

32 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Where the fuck all this money coming from with the stadium debt and massive loans they took out for covid

Martinez is fucking gash and, if he signs, he scores more than six goals next year I'll champion Harry Kane's intellect.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

They paid back the 150mill covid loan with a 250mil long term loan then this summer ENIC converted shares. 

7 hours ago, HBenn said:

Lastly their is the skillset. Yes we are heavy in numbers but we lack defensive pace and energy. There were a number of times last season where we lost control from winning positions (Brentford, Chelsea, Brighton, Spurs, Man City) and times where we were completely outplayed (Man City away with our best midfield playing). Times when midfield players running at pace or playing between the lines caused us huge  problems (League and FA Cup finals, West Ham away and at home, Watford at home, Leicester away, Man City at home, RM CL final) and we were usually saved by poor finishing/great goalkeeping. 

This is just football though. You can’t dominate all season all the time. If you bring in Tchouameni we would still have those games where the other team cause us problems. Whenever we play Man City they will almost always win the midfield battle because on top of their midfielders playing in midfield they have other midfielders playing in forward positions e.g., Foden, Bernardo, Grealish. We on the other hand play with forwards who don’t really take care of the ball but the trade off is that they more deadly in front of goal (Salah, Mane and Jota).

8 hours ago, Moo said:

Last year it was Elliott and Jones, look how that turned out. This year Elliott and Carvalho.  We do not have enough in midfield as things stand. We need better options for the inevitable injuries.

And how did it turn out?

We were literally a cunt a hair away from winning every trophy, this after a summer where people were hyperventilating about Wijnaldum leaving and thinking every single midfielder we have would get injured at the same time. We could do with buying a player in that area, but it's not exactly dire straits.

• Upvote 6