You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

All Time TLW XI (Non Liverpool) Team - Defensive Midfielder

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, Lee909 said:

Without the ball Helguera was more sweeper than DM for Real allowing both fullbacks to push up. When in possesion he pushed up leaving it as a 2. 

Sammer was old fashioned sweeper and played in a back 3. 

You find more in modern football and formations like the 433 or 4231 than the deepest midfielder will be a ball player, the other will be a Mascherano,Kante type who can go hunting and pressing the ball freely knowing the pure defensive positioning work will be done by Alonso/Jorginho types

Yeah but in that formation you can’t deny Mascherano was the more defensive midfielder event though Xabi played deeper than him.

Ancelotti’s Milan was similar like, with Pirlo playing deeper but Gattuso and/or Ambrosini played them more defensive role.

2 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Lothar Matthaus

Redondo

Rijkaard

I don't think either Keane or Viera where DM

Mind you i could argue neither was Matthaus, all three i would say box to box in the truest description. Viera was at his best with Gilberto Silva and Petit  both more defensive and allowing him to roam. Same with Keane, he was at his best with Nicky Butt. There's a reason Scholes wasn't a regular then, mind you there's a lot of Myths about Scholes career

Keane, Vieira and Matthaus, in the prime of their careers, were box-to-box midfielders, as were Bryan Robson and Johan Neeskens. A young Steven Gerrard was a box-to-box midfielder. In 1966, for England, Nobby Styles was a sort of enforcer who broke up play, similar to how Mascherano played for Liverpool 

Just now, Sugar Ape said:

Feels a bit off including Matthaus. He’s the greatest midfielder of all time in my opinion but not as a defensive midfielder. Definitely at his best as a box-to-box player. 

Rijkaard clear number one for me. 
Marco Tardelli

Busquets 

I agree. I'm changing my vote.

2 hours ago, aRdja said:

Yeah but in that formation you can’t deny Mascherano was the more defensive midfielder event though Xabi played deeper than him.

Ancelotti’s Milan was similar like, with Pirlo playing deeper but Gattuso and/or Ambrosini played them more defensive role.

Isn't the definition of "more defensive" whoever plays deeper? What else would it be?

Makelele is a weird one. Clearly a boss player but he didn’t move to Madrid until he was 27 and only had six caps for France at that age. He wasn’t even included in the 1998 squad for the World Cup. 

I’d take Busquets over him because he’s performed at an elite level for a much longer period. 

19 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Isn't the definition of "more defensive" whoever plays deeper? What else would it be?

The actual role on the pitch. If he’s there to win the ball and give it to his more creative midfield partner then he’s the DM. 

6 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

Nah. 

A modern day DM will drop back to receive the ball from 2 centre backs, occasionally dropping back into the middle of them to make a back three. 

A traditional sweeper would drop deeper than the 2 centre backs to cover behind. 

Its the same role basically. People get bogged down with rigid formations quoting numbers but the game is fluid and dynamic. The spare player can play in front or behind the back line but they are doing pretty much the same thing. The sweeper could originally play in front of the defence or behind.

Just now, VladimirIlyich said:

Its the same role basically. People get bogged down with rigid formations quoting numbers but the game is fluid and dynamic. The spare player can play in front or behind the back line but they are doing pretty much the same thing. The sweeper could originally play in front of the defence or behind.

Nah. They’re totally different roles. 

It has nothing to do with rigid formations or numbers. 

14 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

The important thing here is people can pick whoever the fuck they like. The decisions will be made at the voting stage. 

You tell em, Stig.

Cos they need tellin'

• Upvote 1