You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Russia v Ukraine

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

I'm struggling to understand how Ukraine having high casualties as a result of an unprovoked Russian invasion is supposed to make the Ukrainians look bad and not the Russians.

It's not supposed to make Ukraine look bad. Who said that? 'm not that concerned , not sure why the truth upsets you.

9 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

It is supposed to make "the West" look bad.

'The west' have imo been idiotic. They went too far down the Boris Johnson bullshit path. King of Ukraine. Not working out that well though, for them or for us.

11 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I know man - all you want is peace.

Yep but until then I'd settle for your mob not blowing up Nordstream which helped push up our energy bills which in turn caused unnecessary deaths. 

Again....

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2023/sep/06/excess-winter-deaths-caused-by-cold-homes-in-great-britain-up-by-about-a-third

25 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Who told you that?

Pretty sure Putin said it was you.

It may have been Britain actually. Probably was. Think it was Truss. So apologies for that. If my mate Putes said it who am I to cast doubt. 

In seriousness it was probably one of the few tines he was telling the truth.

2 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Quite a feat for a country who has, well, no Navy to speak of.

The Ukraine blows up as much Russian Naval tonnage as Russian Shipyards manage to Build

Most of the world’s leading navies are getting bigger—a lot bigger—by one key metric: tonnage.

But not the Russian navy. It’s struggling to grow at all, and for one main reason. The Ukrainian navy, which has no large front-line ships, keeps sinking and blowing up Russian vessels.

In losing nearly as much tonnage as it built in 2023, the Russian navy joins an exclusive and embarrassing club of stagnant or shrinking navies. The 886,000-ton Royal Navy also shrank in 2023, which is nothing new for what once was the world’s greatest fleet but in recent decades steadily has withered under the mismanagement of successive governments.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidaxe/2024/01/06/the-ukrainian-navy-blows-up-as-much-russian-naval-tonnage-as-russian-shipyards-manage-to-build/?sh=902ed2c652db

What you’ve done here is mate, and it’s an easy mistake to make, you’ve posted something from Forbes. Where you should be hunter gathering your info from is twitter. There’s lads on there, that between the odd post about cats jumping and missing things and shouting into the void about boats arriving, they are delivering hot off the press, front foot information for us all on the Ukraine war. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Curly said:

What you’ve done here is mate, and it’s an easy mistake to make, you’ve posted something from Forbes. Where you should be hunter gathering your info from is twitter. There’s lads on there, that between the odd post about cats jumping and missing things and shouting into the void about boats arriving, they are delivering hot off the press, front foot information for us all on the Ukraine war. 

Forbes are on twitter. The President of the United States puts messages on twitter. 

6 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Ah Captain Mainwarings back. How's this new stage of Ukrainian recruitment going?  Surprised they've bothering after listening to you. Or have you forgotten again?

You've been wrong over pretty much everything regarding this war. Swept away on a great big tidal wave of American bullshit. Hope you've checked under your bed for reds this morning. Can't be too careful can we. 

That really hurt. I was hoping against hope there would be at least something right, now I am crushed.

But do keep bumping the thread.

15 minutes ago, SasaS said:

That really hurt. I was hoping against hope there would be at least something right, now I am crushed.

But do keep bumping the thread.

No worries Captain.

7 hours ago, TheSire said:

It's a weird unhealthy obsession with digging up every single negative thing about ukraine, very very little aimed in the opposite direction. It's basically victim blaming.

This is Gnasher's modus operandi.

Whereas rational people will examine the totality of the facts, then derive an opinion based on that, Gnasher begins with the premise - almost always something along the lines of "West is Bad" - then seeks out any and all sources, regardless of how trustworthy or accurate they may be, that seem to bolster this predecided stance.

It's confirmation bias on steroids.

21 minutes ago, Strontium said:

This is Gnasher's modus operandi.

Whereas rational people will examine the totality of the facts, then derive an opinion based on that, Gnasher begins with the premise - almost always something along the lines of "West is Bad" - then seeks out any and all sources, regardless of how trustworthy or accurate they may be, that seem to bolster this predecided stance.

It's confirmation bias on steroids.

Spot on Stonts. Can't argue with any of that. I should run them through Nick Clegg.

Further to recent discussion and for observers of Russian economy (which I still think is the key to how the invasion of Ukraine will unfold further), a thread by former central bank analyst and a pre-war or early war defector. Via Michael Koffman.

Expanded version in her article.    

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/russian-federation/putins-unsustainable-spending-spree

TLDR; nothing spectacularly new but a concise overview, short term stability based on subsidies and oil and gas revenues with uncertain midterm future. What I would find interesting and cannot find addressed anywhere is how much Russia has stashed away in sovereign fund(s) and how much are they drawing from there, how long can this be used.

• Upvote 1

Another load of weapons gone walkabout. A billion quids worth. Ah well I'm sure they'll end up in good  hands. Anyway the American comical Ali, John Kirby is going to look into it so that's reassuring. 

Sunak giving Ukraine another 2.5 billion. In the week about a billion pounds worth of ammo has disappeared into thin air. The security deal probably involves him having a mansion in Oxfordshire paid by cash siphoned through the back door for when he gets booted out of office. Similar to the King of Ukraine.

Meanwhile they've lost the support of the American nazi crew. Now they'll have to rely on their own.

20240112_102318.jpg

21 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Sunak giving Ukraine another 2.5 billion. In the week about a billion pounds worth of ammo has disappeared into thin air.

The Americans not keeping an inventory does not equate to the weapons disappearing into thin air. It just means they can't track them, probably because they have given more than they are declaring. Your implication the Ukrainians have stolen them to sell on the Black Market is pure Russian propaganda.