You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

Providing we commit to the 4231 then we should just buy a shit hot no10. Preferably one that can play as a false 9. Henderson/Thiago/Fabinho/Milner/Ox/Keita/Curtis pretty stacked though to be fair but none offer goal threat. I’d like to see Curtis given a go in the forward 4 before the end of the season, can’t be much shitter than Mane and Bobby have been of late.

1 hour ago, Doctor Troy said:

We will need to sign two midfielders as Wijnaldum is going, Chamberlain and Keita are never fit and Milner will be 36.

So Bissouma to replace Wijnaldum and possibly Camavinga to fill the gap of the perma crocks. Grealish will be too expensive, probably ending up at one of the Manc clubs.  

Add to that Konate to edge out Matip and will need two options up front as Firmino has been shite for ages, Shaqiri told his agent that he wants to leave and Origi will probably leave if he can be arsed. 

All of this is based on the presumption that the owners will actually spend money. 

I was saying the other day we have 1 nailed on starter for midfield, Fabinho - the rest there are question marks over for various reasons, be that fitness, they won't be here, getting old, too young and made little impact in their career here (or a combination of those issues in some cases). I think we need 2 too - but I don't expect us to go for 2 unless we shift some on and we might even go one lighter next season if we are in the uefa cup and rest some main players when that is in. 

3 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I was saying the other day we have 1 nailed on starter for midfield, Fabinho - the rest there are question marks over for various reasons, be that fitness, they won't be here, getting old, too young and made little impact in their career here (or a combination of those issues in some cases). I think we need 2 too - but I don't expect us to go for 2 unless we shift some on and we might even go one lighter next season if we are in the uefa cup and rest some main players when that is in. 

I think you are right - we will go with one lless midfielder. 

Big question mark is can you get 35 games out of Henderson.

10 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

I think you are right - we will go with one lless midfielder. 

Big question mark is can you get 35 games out of Henderson.

Well it's getting increasingly tough. And the big problem is he and milner seem to bring very similar things in terms of leadership and helping raise the teams intensity and obviously I see milner playing less rather than more. I've suspected we've been trying to get some of that from Jones. His best attributes and instincts certainly seem to be at the top end and we seem to be trying to get him into playing deeper and to curb his attacking instincts, rather like we did when we brought Gini from Newcastle. I'm not sure he's going to be that player though. But many people think next season in the league should be easy if there's no CL, but for me the midfield needs some summer work or luck with injuries. And after this season, I'm hoping our battle plan isn't luck with injuries. 

15 hours ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

An arl arse keeper.

Konate

Kabak

Bissouma

Raphinia

A Striker?

Matip, Philips, Williams 20m

Grujic, Wilson, Keita 45m

Minamino, Shaqiri, Origi 35m

Plus a few others.

Changes if we lose Salah or Mane. I love FM I play Mbappe at cb.

That's the kind of summer we need. Those four players are young as well - being honest Kabak at 18 million looks a steal. Very promising player for his age. Raphinha is a beautiful player. Konate is meant to be inredible - only saw him twice and very impressed. Bissouma has looked very good. One of those players that might go relatively unnoticed and in two years he is world class. The age profile of the team knocked right down in one summer.

A good experienced number 3 goalie. Maybe like Romero or someone. I would keep Kelleher as number 2. He's promising.

Agree completely about a striker. Levangolski would be my man. If he was here this year, we genuinely might be about 20 points better off with all the wayward chances missed. Huge wages but worth it. Doubt he would come to a team not in the Champions League but he loves Jurgen and seems like a sound lad so who knows.

Probably not too many will agree, but I'd keep Big Bird as a bonus player. If you get 10 games out of him, he is world class. I don't think his wages are too high and I can't see to many clubs willing to pay too much for him. The others I agree with.

32 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Konate is meant to be inredible - only saw him twice 

That amounts to a third of his starts so far this season. I really think we need someone who’s always available. Especially if we’re keeping both Matip and Gomez.

13 minutes ago, aRdja said:

That amounts to a third of his starts so far this season. I really think we need someone who’s always available. Especially if we’re keeping both Matip and Gomez.

We need to sell Matip and keep Kabak.

18 minutes ago, an tha said:

Let me guess, he’s just unlucky and none of his injuries are linked to each other? If you get injured a lot you are prone to injuries. Could just be a string of bad luck brought on by the cosmos, could be voodoo curse, clumsiness or genetics. Whatever the reason the outcome is the same.

Luckily he’s young so he’s got another 10 years to prove otherwise.

Konate looks massive and fast. 

I love Matip, but there's a smaller sample size of games to love each season so I'd move him on. Williams out on loan, sell Davies I assume. 

We need more than four centre halves given that some are coming back from serious injury, so I'd go with:

Virgil, Gomez, Konate, Kabak, Phillips. 

Plenty of games for all with the magic of Thursday Night Football next season. 

2 hours ago, aRdja said:

Big concern that. Having said that, given how good he looks and his age, I'd take a chance. Possibly naive though because Gomez and Big Bird are out injured a lot and nobody knows how Virgil will come back.

2 hours ago, an tha said:

1 hour ago, Josef Svejk said:

Touch of the... 

bagdad-bob.jpg

It also has the good old "defence for the next 10 years" kind of bullshit tied in as well in reference to him and Kabak being the future. 

I seem to recall the same kind of he's not really injury prone stuff being said about Oxlade-Chamberlain.

maxresdefault.jpg

"Other than when he is injured when has he ever been injured for us"

"never"

"Exactly"

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Probably not too many will agree, but I'd keep Big Bird as a bonus player. If you get 10 games out of him, he is world class. I don't think his wages are too high and I can't see to many clubs willing to pay too much for him. The others I agree with.

He is certainly in the top 10 wages we have. If he played 10 games we would be paying him @ 500,000 a game.

I think he will stay but not for the reason you suggest - no one will pick up his wages.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see squad players like Matip, Keita and Ox get loaned out next season given the usual destinations haven’t got the finances at present to pay their expected transfer fees. 

They all have massive wages so we can pass that on to another club and hope that their performances in the meantime are decent enough to command a good fee twelve months from now. 

We need Michael Edwards to work absolute magic to get decent fees for Origi, Shaqiri, Harry Wilson and Minamino. Pre pandemic we might have been looking at 70m for that lot. We’ll do well to get half that now. 

As for incomings I think we’ll see Kabak, Konate, Bissouma (who is the absolute mustard) and a forward (hopefully one who is fucking ruthless in front of goal like Daka). I also think Harvey Elliott has a decent role to play next season. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

He is certainly in the top 10 wages we have. If he played 10 games we would be paying him @ 500,000 a game.

I think he will stay but not for the reason you suggest - no one will pick up his wages.

Dortmund have been linked with him. Not a chance he’s here if we’re signing Kabak and Konate as rumoured.