You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

2 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

If you use public transport regular you are probably immune to all kinds of shit by now.

Immune to everything except the fella who sounds like the t-rex off jurassic park eating his BLT at 7:30am 

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

We are now taking about that Japanese social distancing thing you mentioned not transmission. 

I was talking about private settings mainly, like homes or care homes - basically anywhere that people spend long periods in close proximity to each other. I've never been convinced that shops or public transport or outdoors are responsible for that many cases. We do keep being told viral load is a major factor in severity of infection, and it surely stands to reason that you'll pick up more of the virus if you spend hours near someone rather than seconds or minutes.

To answer my earlier question which is essential to this debate

" why the fuck did Japanese kamikaze pilots wear protective head gear?

In the voice of Alan Partridge I'm happy to clear this up,  apparently Japanese kamikaze pilots wore protective head gear to stop pressure and g force. The sexy cool bandana as Stig mentioned were just for the Hollywood movies. Either that or they were a half glass full type of person who thought they might survive.  

1 minute ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

I was talking about private settings mainly, like homes or care homes - basically anywhere that people spend long periods in close proximity to each other. I've never been convinced that shops or public transport or outdoors are responsible for that many cases. We do keep being told viral load is a major factor in severity of infection, and it surely stands to reason that you'll pick up more of the virus if you spend hours near someone rather than seconds or minutes.

So you are saying that Japanese culture is to stay away from each other at home and in care-homes? 

As for the shops, public transport, outdoors thing... obviously you are entitled to an opinion of course but how do you think its transmitted outside of the home? Do you think this virus selects where it is going to transmit? 

The latter point is just obvious but factor in groups / crowds and it's not really clear is it. 

4 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

To answer my earlier question which is essential to this debate

" why the fuck did Japanese kamikaze pilots wear protective head gear?

In the voice of Alan Partridge I'm happy to clear this up,  apparently Japanese kamikaze pilots wore protective head gear to stop pressure and g force. The sexy cool bandana as Stig mentioned were just for the Hollywood movies. Either that or they were a half glass full type of person who thought they might survive.  

You've ruined it for me. 

22 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Of course though if we are talking about distancing Sweden has a population of 58 people per square mile while the UK has 275.... But no that can't matter surely. 

I do also believe that's at factor

But what's south Korea and Japan do you know? Or more importantly, Tokyo and Seoul? 

Surely they're really highly populated cities, and how can they all stay 2 metres from each other?? 

1 minute ago, chrisbonnie said:

I do also believe that's at factor

But what's south Korea and Japan do you know? Or more importantly, Tokyo and Seoul? 

Surely they're really highly populated cities, and how can they all stay 2 metres from each other?? 

Culture. 

1 hour ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

We can talk about Japan as much as you like. Japanese etiquette is basically social distancing on steroids, which I'd wager is the biggest factor in limiting the spread there.

Social distancing works? Lockdown don't? Masks don't? 

Do carry on. 

35 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

So you are saying that Japanese culture is to stay away from each other at home and in care-homes? 

As for the shops, public transport, outdoors thing... obviously you are entitled to an opinion of course but how do you think its transmitted outside of the home? Do you think this virus selects where it is going to transmit? 

The latter point is just obvious but factor in groups / crowds and it's not really clear is it. 

More about how the Japanese don't even hug family or friends, and in the professional arena they bow to each other rather than shaking hands. It's not a touchy-feely culture, not remotely.

As I say, a virus can be transmitted anywhere, but it's surely much more likely to transmit from person to person (and with a larger load) after prolonged close contact with someone in your own home rather than just walking past someone in a shop or on a railway platform.

2 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

More about how the Japanese don't even hug family or friends, and in the professional arena they bow to each other rather than shaking hands. It's not a touchy-feely culture, not remotely.

As I say, a virus can be transmitted anywhere, but it's surely much more likely to transmit from person to person (and with a larger load) after prolonged close contact with someone in your own home rather than just walking past someone in a shop or on a railway platform.

Their national sport is basically hugging. 

Anyway, you keep making that same point. Of-course thats more likely. I'm more likely to get aids off a 6 hour session than a quick game of just the tip..... 

But what are the chances of a person in your home having it compared to 50/60 people you might pass in the shops/on public transport etc? 

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

But what are the chances of a person in your home having it compared to 50/60 people you might pass in the shops/on public transport etc? 

Obviously 100 people in the street are more likely to have a case of infection than 10 people in a house. But everything I've seen suggests you're still much more likely to contract it mixing socially with a small number of people in a small enclosed area than you are from fleeting contact with a larger number of people in a large indoor or outdoor setting.

4 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

Obviously 100 people in the street are more likely to have a case of infection than 10 people in a house. But everything I've seen suggests you're still much more likely to contract it mixing socially with a small number of people in a small enclosed area than you are from fleeting contact with a larger number of people in a large indoor or outdoor setting.

Ok so let’s ban being indoors with your loved one. Got it. 

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Where do you think the outdoor ceremony at the Rose Garden here where quite a few folks got it fits?

Aren't they saying it was more likely they contracted the virus from the indoor reception rather than the outdoor ceremony?

7 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

Japans obesity rate is significantly lower than UK/America. Less than 4%. 

They have grown up in a culture of wearing masks when you are ill, using 'sunbrellas' to avoid getting tanned. 

Its no surprise to me at all that Japan are dealing with Covid better than most countries. 

Masks don't help though apparently.