You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

4 minutes ago, Anubis said:

A brilliant suggestion - let’s turn average British squddies into nurses (2-4 years study) and doctors (10 years - 5 studying and 5 as a junior) with a compressed two week crash course.

If that ever happens, you just know it'd be run by Serco and they'd compress the course to 7 days.

1 hour ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Aside from the above, I want to know how many of the thousands of students infected this week have needed hospital treatment.  Where is that stat?

Locking kids in student halls, taking down the covid messages on their windows, is the most Chinese shit I've seen in this country.

This feels like breaking point, the Tories are really bending the fuck out of this dry stick and grinning about it.  'Fear' is really quickly turning to 'anger' among many in the country.

IDS was Tweeting today that we needed to do something about the 'epidemic of gaming addiction'.  Uwotm8? 

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/manchester-students-in-intensive-care-19068537

Guest Alex_K
3 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

I believe he asked for a number of how many students required hospital care -- I read your link as I was curious myself. I'm surprised you're not on the edge of constant hysteria with how deep you submerge yourself in this stuff. Once I got past the hyperbole of the first paragraph, the only paragraph I found that actually cited a number relating to student hospitalisaiton was this one:

"The medic says he is also aware of one 19-year-old girl who caught the virus from a housemate and became unwell for a couple of weeks but managed at home".

What am I missing in this article in terms of numbers of young-people hospitalisations / ICU cases?

EDIT: There's a sample size counting millions of cases. We know an infintesimal number of 'young' people are affected in any meaningfully adverse way by this - in terms of fatalities, its presumably on or less than the road traffic accident spectrum (far less than cigarette-related deaths). Why don't we just accept that point and move on? It can be accepted without devaluing other concerns people have.

16 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

I believe he asked for a number of how many students required hospital care -- I read your link as I was curious myself. I'm surprised you're not on the edge of constant hysteria with how deep you submerge yourself in this stuff. Once I got past the hyperbole of the first paragraph, the only paragraph I found that actually cited a number relating to student hospitalisaiton was this one:

"The medic says he is also aware of one 19-year-old girl who caught the virus from a housemate and became unwell for a couple of weeks but managed at home".

What am I missing in this article in terms of numbers of young-people hospitalisations / ICU cases?

EDIT: There's a sample size counting millions of cases. We know an infintesimal number of 'young' people are affected in any meaningfully adverse way by this - in terms of fatalities, its presumably on or less than the road traffic accident spectrum (far less than cigarette-related deaths). Why don't we just accept that point and move on? It can be accepted without devaluing other concerns people have.

Believe it or not, I can actually read. He was asking about students requiring hospital care and it just so happened I’d recently read an article about that very subject so I thought I’d share it with him. Is that alright or do I have to get your permission in the future?

I also believe he asked about how many students need hospital treatment, not how many have died. And we don’t know how many ‘young’ people are affected in an adverse way. At all. It is possible to be seriously ill and not die you know. 

As for me being on the edge of hysteria, you’re on here daily crying over restrictions. Look at the state of your comment below. William Wallace didn’t feel as hard done by as you do. 

On 26/09/2020 at 21:28, Alex_K said:

"They can't stay in the pub after 10 PM" was one of the sarcastic responses to a post I made regarding student liberty. There is a broad set of people for whom it still does not seem to have dawned just how deeply civil liberties are being trespassed against. These are unimaginable, and unforgivable, times. An entire subset of society, for whom covid plays an absolutely infinitesimal risk less than that of a road traffic accident, being placed under effective house arrest. It is going to take an unemployment line of 3 or 4 million for the worm to truly turn I fear.

How’s this going for you? I’m still waiting for the worm to turn, and to my immense surprise it doesn’t look like the measures are going to be curtailed. In fact, they’re bringing even stricter measures in. 

We had just under 7,000 cases the day you posted that and today had over 17,000. Guess we’re lucky these fanciful doomsday scenarios aren’t coming true, eh?

Now, go and spout your usual shit about road traffic accidents and whatever else you’re droning on about to someone else.

It’s pretty clear from our last interaction no one is buying what you’re selling on here. And it’s a waste of my time responding to you.  

On 02/10/2020 at 18:46, Alex_K said:

A very long post to say very little. To be clear, I have never said "let the rest do as they want". To provide an example, I do not believe 45k football gatherings should occur. I also do not believe there should be 10 PM curfews, regional lockdowns on househould gatherings or students placed under house arrest. There is a halfway house.

I'll be succinct: I think your posts and their ilk scream absolute "drama queen". I've laid my stall out quite clearly I think -- we will proceed through October, these fanciful doomsday scenarios will continue to not come true just as they have never materialised before, the bite in the pocket will be far more widespread than any other bite and the measures will be curtailed as the worm turns. Let's see what happens? In the meantime, post statistics of 00s deaths in a nation of over 60,000,000, work your 9-5 and live your life in fear, I guess. That’s your Individual right and prerogative. Maybe steer clear of the booze though; there were over 7,000 alcoholic-specifc deaths last year. Societal risk should be eradicated.

• Upvote 5

Well it looks like the vulnerable will be told to shield again, just weeks after Boris said 

"And as for the suggestion that we should simply lock up the elderly and the vulnerable – with all the suffering that would entail – I must tell you that this is just not realistic, because if you let the virus rip through the rest of the population it would inevitably find its way through to the elderly as well, and in much greater numbers."

It's almost as if they don't listen to anyone, like they're making it up as they go along. I can only hope that this time they have better plans and support for the vulnerable. I mean they spend enough of our money each year on a pandemic action plan, then ignore it. This time they should be even better prepared. 

Simple things, let the elderly and vulnerable shop in the morning and the young in the afternoon and evening. Prioritise delivery slots (including Amazon) for the vulnerable and elderly (for free) and let the young and healthy use collect services. I am sure that after the first round they know the areas they need to improve in order to make this work better for people. 

No system is perfect, you cannot save everyone no matter how much you try. That's a very sad fact, but you can do all you can to lessen the risks and save as many as you can. People dying because of incompetence is never acceptable. 

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, Jedd Drudge said:

Well it looks like the vulnerable will be told to shield again, just weeks after Boris said 

"And as for the suggestion that we should simply lock up the elderly and the vulnerable – with all the suffering that would entail – I must tell you that this is just not realistic, because if you let the virus rip through the rest of the population it would inevitably find its way through to the elderly as well, and in much greater numbers."

It's almost as if they don't listen to anyone, like they're making it up as they go along. I can only hope that this time they have better plans and support for the vulnerable. I mean they spend enough of our money each year on a pandemic action plan, then ignore it. This time they should be even better prepared. 

Simple things, let the elderly and vulnerable shop in the morning and the young in the afternoon and evening. Prioritise delivery slots (including Amazon) for the vulnerable and elderly (for free) and let the young and healthy use collect services. I am sure that after the first round they know the areas they need to improve in order to make this work better for people. 

No system is perfect, you cannot save everyone no matter how much you try. That's a very sad fact, but you can do all you can to lessen the risks and save as many as you can. People dying because of incompetence is never acceptable. 

I think you're about six months late.

11 hours ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Unless it was a wild and random coincidence that kids returned to school the within a fortnight the numbers shot through the roof, it's fairly obvious that schools opening was the weight that tipped the seesaw. Anyone who has seen what school kids are doing out on the streets when they're not in school would be in no doubt that kids travelling to and from school is the breeding ground.

Unless it is a wild and random coincidence that wearing of masks became compulsory within a fortnight of the numbers shooting up, it's fairly obvious that everyone wearing masks was the weight that tipped the seesaw.

Nothing to do with it being the time of year that all respiratory infections increase.

I wish people weren't horrible selfish cunts. 

Japan - Twice the UK population. 1500 deaths. Why? Abiding by the rules, using common sense, mindful of others and wearing fucking masks! 

UK - "I'm alright jack!" , VE Day Congas, Pubs open 'chaaarge!', The Flu is worse! SoreRealisticDragon-max-1mb.gif

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Unless it is a wild and random coincidence that wearing of masks became compulsory within a fortnight of the numbers shooting up, it's fairly obvious that everyone wearing masks was the weight that tipped the seesaw.

Nothing to do with it being the time of year that all respiratory infections increase.

Loads of people were already wearing masks. Try again. 

12 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Japan - Twice the UK population. 1500 deaths. Why? Abiding by the rules, using common sense, mindful of others and wearing fucking masks! 

UK - "I'm alright jack!" , VE Day Congas, Pubs open 'chaaarge!', The Flu is worse! SoreRealisticDragon-max-1mb.gif

They're also a very healthy population , a healthy heart and cardiovascular system goes a long way in surviving Corona virus . 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Correlation is not causation.

12 minutes ago, elvis said:

They're also a very healthy population , a healthy heart and cardiovascular system goes a long way in surviving Corona virus . 

Absolutely but still 1500 compared to 45 thousand..... Is that down to sushi? 

10 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Correlation is not causation.

You are clutching at straws and rambling like an old man now Spy Bee. 

3 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Have you told that maths professor that he doesn’t understand exponential yet? 

It's doubling, it is not becoming more and more rapid. 

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

You are clutching at straws and rambling like an old man now Spy Bee. 

I'm really not Stig. Just because two things happen, does not mean that one thing caused the other. 

Ice cream does not cause sunburn!

35 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Are you saying that wearing masks is causing the spikes when most people aren't wearing them?