You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

Liverpool are reportedly ready to sign another Chelsea youngster this summer, with midfielder Isaac Christie-Davies set to follow Dominic Solanke in leaving Stamford Bridge for Anfield.

According to reports from ESPN, the 20-year-old has not been offered a new contract by the Blues and will join the Reds in a free transfer.

Christie-Davies has represented England at U16 and 17 level and won the FA Youth Cup with Chelsea in 2015 and 2016.

The midfielder went on trial with Jurgen Klopp’s side in March, playing in a Premier League 2 game against Manchester United at Anfield, and must have done enough to convince the German boss to hand him a contract.

Solanke will be able to help Christie-Davies settle in Merseyside after making the same move last summer.

The 20-year-old striker has gradually forced his way into the Reds' first-team and scored his first Liverpool goal in the final game of the season against Brighton.

image: https://talksport.com/sites/default/files/solanke.jpg

Solanke celebrates scoring against Brighton - his first goal in a Liverpool shirt

Speaking following his arrival at Anfield, Solanke praised his new club’s work with young players and appeared to aim a dig at former club Chelsea, where he started his career at the age of seven but went on to make one senior appearance.

“Every time I see Liverpool, there’s such a family nature, there’re a lot of young players doing well at the club, so I think it will be a good place for me to develop my career,” he said.

As a young player, you always want to see the club you’re at pushing young players through.”

So my original estimate of being lucky to see a net spend of £50m as opposed to £200m would be in a more realistic ball park and the accumalitive net spend was showing as a negative, the only one in the top 6.

Don't get me wrong it was a flippant and tongue in cheek remark and I don't actually care if we blow £60m on Fekir or £10m on Coric as long as we meet the needs of the squad and the manager is backed. FSG will look at the current model as a largely successful one and I don't see why they would suddenly change tracks and throw money around.

I don't think we will be spending £200m net in this transfer window. I do think we will soon announce the redevelopment of the ARE though, which will obviously cost money, and are redeveloping and combining the training grounds, which also costs money, which affects the amount that we have for transfers.

Our cumulative net spend is not negative though, if you look at cash spend and received on transfers (this includes things like agent fees, not just transfer fees) over the 5 years to 2016/17, then the net spend is over £230m

• Upvote 2

Its the scale in my head where I have watched a lot of Harry Wilson, and think he's great, and the little I've seen of Gray not being very impressed at all and wondering what all the fuss is about, and his goal record is pretty shit at that. As a keen fan of youth football, I am fully aware that it can take some time for young players to fully develop though, so he could well kick on, and lots of people seem to like him.

Obviously if you look at the records of the 2, Gray is miles ahead at the moment, but for the amount we'd have to spend, I'm not sure if we'd be getting that much of an upgrade, if one at all.

Totally agree with all this. Not seen anything in Gray to make me think he'll be any good. If you want to play in our front three then you better be a prolific goalscorer. Gray isn't.

Wilson has been at each level he's played so far. Just have to hope he can step up to the PL.

• Upvote 1

Totally agree with all this. Not seen anything in Gray to make me think he'll be any good. If you want to play in our front three then you better be a prolific goalscorer. Gray isn't.

Wilson has been at each level he's played so far. Just have to hope he can step up to the PL.

Shit out of +ve for the day to vote up this.

Arteta strong favourite for the Arsenal job? This season just gets better and better.

Delighted with how it’s turning out, but genuinely baffled at what were they thinking when Wenger had already lost the dressing room and Guardiola and Klopp were available?

They’ll be nearer West Ham than Spurs soon enough, the way they’re going.

Arteta strong favourite for the Arsenal job? This season just gets better and better.

Delighted with how it’s turning out, but genuinely baffled at what were they thinking when Wenger had already lost the dressing room and Guardiola and Klopp were available?

They’ll be nearer West Ham than Spurs soon enough, the way they’re going.

There’s a chance Arteta might know what he’s doing.

They seem to think that he's been the power behind Pep's throne and will have them playing like City.

It’s exactly like that, except for it lacking that wee bit of Arteta not taking over a really solid and balanced team and having as much money as he wants to improve things further.

Should we win the CL, Zidanes position might not be safe. That could quite possibly create quite a bit of movement in terms of managers changing clubs.

Thought this myself, they’ll sack him if they lose and wouldn’t put it totally past them to sack him even if they win, but didn’t want to tempt fate by posting it.

What I’m saying is I think you’re right but have also jinxed our chances of winning the European Cup and now everyone will hate you.

Well, I forgot to say that the average was for 5 seasons, but otherwise, there is no lie, data taken from our annual reports.

You are more than welcome to prove I am lying though, with facts, if you can find them.

I don't know what it says on the accounts but in relation to the transfer fees spent and received.

2016 / 2017

Arrivals - £71.9m

Departures - £76.4m

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/liverpool-fc/transfers/verein/31/plus/0?saison_id=2016&pos=&detailpos=&w_s=

• Upvote 1

To give a serious answer, Transfermarkt is a great resource, but they list the transfer fees for all players in all the big leagues, and a lot of the smaller ones. They get the transfer fees from the press reports, but I doubt they put a lot of scrutiny into it.

Also, they convert all transfer fees into Euros at the time of the transfer, but I believe they then convert it back into Sterling at the current exchange rate, that's why the individual transfers go to decimal points.

LFCHistory is by far the best source for our transfer fees, but even they are missing info and rely on the press.