You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Anthony Joshua vs Wladimir Klitschko

Kevin D

45 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think is going to win?

2. 2. How

Saw the fight yesterday on a re-run and it was a cracker,especially for a heavyweight clash. It was so nice to see two fighters in such good shape(although an argument could be made for this contributing to both of them having phases of 'gassing' during different stages of the fight.) Joshua fought superbly early on by standing off and allowing Klitschko to come forward,which I think he's not that comfortable with,but by trying to blitz him in the 5th round Joshua almost blew his own chances by doing this. Credit to Klitschko for wanting to fight and making it a great scrap. Joshua is still a novice but he's in an era devoid of any 'great' fighters so he easily could have a title,or three,for a good few years. Hopefully the demise of the last Klitschko might make a few others step forward and fill the vacuum.

I still reckon Joshua does hold himself back a bit, not so much so he can be media friendly, it's his more his persona and his form of mind games, always being chilled out and confident not needing to start kicking off and threatening during press conferences.

It'll be unnerving for the other guy, trying to get a rise out of him and being met with a cocky smile.

Plus Joshua has mostly faced people who aren't on his level, so it's easy to maintain, it's like a little terrier barking at me, I'll be unphased because I know if it goes for me I'll just boot it over next doors fence.

The only guy he's faced that he would have seen as a test is klitschko, who also gives off the chilled out persona during press conferences, so there was no fireworks. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if growing up Joshua looked at klitschko as an example of how to un nerve opponents, as it clearly worked for him for well over a decade.

I wouldn't even surprised if someone does get under his skin one day though and we see a bit more of this nasty bastard everyone seems to think is inside him, if he comes up against wilder/fury/haye who are gonna be doing his head in at every opportunity, doing everything to get him to crack, and actually pose a bit of a threat against him then it's possible.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Both Fury and Wilder have huge personalities which could rattle Joshua. Not sure who he'll fight next, he may have an easier fight after that war on Saturday.

Rumors are that there's a rematch clause.

Otherwise I think it's povetkin as his mandatory unless he gives up the belt.

I might be getting mixed up with pulev now I think about it.

I'm pretty sure Klitschko said in the ring after the fight there was a rematch in the contract and everyone around him looked at each other as if to say he should not have said that.

There will be rematch, they just want people to wonder if there will be.

I'm pretty sure Klitschko said in the ring after the fight there was a rematch in the contract and everyone around him looked at each other as if to say he should not have said that.

There will be rematch, they just want people to wonder if there will be.

Yeah I thought that, but afterwards a couple of the boxing boards said they didn't know anything about a rematch clause, so I wasn't sure where everything stood.

Yeah I thought that, but afterwards a couple of the boxing boards said they didn't know anything about a rematch clause, so I wasn't sure where everything stood.

Build up tension results in higher sales.

Hopefully Joshua unifies it all, as I can't be doing with all he different organizations. Years ago I remember when there were three, and it was complicated. Now it seems more splintered than ever.

I agree with the view that there should be no rematch. That fight was the best Klitschko has got left. He was fit, keen, obviosuly vastly experienced, and he gave his all. And he very nearly won too. He deserves huge credit, but if he wants to fight Joshua again I think it will be diminishing returns.

Joshua is still a work in progress, but there's a very real sense in which he learned more in that one fight than in all the others. He very nearly lost, but he dug deep and found new limits he might not have realized he had. He grew in stature with the win, and he will be that much better as he moves forward because of this fight.

I was made up by the way the crowd cheered Klitschko. He felt the love, and everyone was acknowledging what a good champion he has been. Hopefully that sends him off into retirement a fulfilled man. It was a true handover moment and everyone should be satisfied. The king is dead. Long live the king.

• Upvote 1

You lot are all mental, did you watch the fight? I'd gladly watch that again!

Re matches are often nowhere near the level of the original. Also I am guessing most people's opinions are influenced by the fact the rematch would be more about the money than generating another great fight. £24.95 to watch a fight,fuck that.

Re matches are often nowhere near the level of the original. Also I am guessing most people's opinions are influenced by the fact the rematch would be more about the money than generating another great fight. £24.95 to watch a fight,fuck that.

And often they are as good if not better, though I suspect if there is a rematch it would be a lot more cagey an affair

If there's a rematch, Joshua gets him out of there even earlier. He'd have learned a lot about himself during this fight, he'd have learned that he can take his time and box and still knock guys out. He won't get hit nowhere near as much in any fight in the future now, that big right nearly finished him, I don't expect to see that happen in the future. He'll be wiser and Wlad will be older, also can't see Wlad having the same motivation to train as he did for this one, he literally gave his all and ultimately it wasn't enough despite it nearly being, if it got ended on a close points decision Joshua's way then I'd say yea there will be a rematch, not now though.

I read the other day that AJ had a rematch clause but Wlad didn't so I was surprised when I heard them speak about the rematch.

I think AJ should look at other fighters now. No reason for him to fight Wlad again (apart from the money) in terms of titles as Joshua has them.

Fury is the fight we all want to see. As awkward as Fury is, I think it'd still be an AJ win, personally.

Watched the fight again on Sunday morning as I never really keep track of scoring it round by round. At the time on Saturday, I think I had Wlad up by a round just by guessing my scores but after watching it, it was closer than I thought.

AJ took the first three rounds, for me. I thought it was very slow on Saturday but they actually jabbed a fair bit and AJ tried making stuff happen.

5th round, AJ really stepped down and looked like Wlad had no chance at all. I still can't figure out whether AJ was absolutely gassed or whether the shot he took knocked the energy out of him. He just seemed to fold and looked gone. It's worrying when he's like that!

6th round was Wlads to win. Beautiful right hand with AJ clearly not in it. He was gone at this point. What was surprising was how well AJ defended himself after the knockdown, though. Slipped and ducked a lot of shots and was making Wlad miss more than in any other round. At least he knew what was coming for the majority.

I was glad that he got a bit of a breather for the next few rounds. It reminded me of the Whyte fight when he got a bit of a breather towards 4-6 to step it up again.

5th and 11th round were the two rounds that AJ really stepped up and he knocked Wlad down in both. The uppercut was absolutely brilliant. One of the best punches I've seen and it would have looked even better if he knocked Wlad out with that punch. I don't know how he was standing from it...

That fight gave AJ a lesson. He definitely learnt more in that fight than every other fight combined. He needs to stop eating the jab for fun all night as he took so many jabs, especially first few rounds.

He also needs to lose a good 6lbs. Why he come in at 17st 12lbs I'll never know. He has a great S&C coach and seems to be naturally heavy handed so he won't lose his power too much anyway but it will help him get quicker.

Who will he fight next?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

A Fury fight is probably a year away at least, Wilder would be my preference but it sounds like he is going after Parker first and I'm sure Hearn wants no part of Ortiz. Realistically that leaves Povetkin maybe?

Does anyone here know where someone could watch the replay of this fight? Someone told me that it's illegal. Please PM me the link as I'd like to report it to the authority.

It was on Sky Sports last night so I presume it's on catch up?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1