You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

US Election Thread 2016

Red Phoenix

As far as the most powerful countries military wise go. (Although this will differ slightly depending on what source you use and what is known, for example Pakistan is seen as quite a power by some whereas the UK is down in 9th) 

USA. Nato......but for how long?

Russia

China

India

UK (N)

France  (N)

Germany (N)

South Korea

Japan

Turkey (N)

Italy (N)

Brazil

You also have to add the likes of Australia, Poland, Canada etc who are part of Nato. 

Does this ranking count friendlies?

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

Does this ranking count friendlies?

Yes, but only harsh words without a shot being fired. TBH there are many lists based on different criteria. If you look at the military strengths of Russia they are equalled by using the top 4 Nato allies without the US, obviously beaten by the US alone. 

This is one such list. 

http://www.businessinsider.com/these-are-the-worlds-20-strongest-militaries-ranked-2015-9?IR=T/#10-turkey-11

or

http://www.globalfirepower.com/

US President-elect Donald Trump has urged Israel to "stay strong" until he assumes office next month.

He also said Israel had been treated with "disdain and disrespect" - and this must end.

It is his latest unprecedented outburst on the social media network Twitter.

Critics have urged the president-elect to use more conventional channels to communicate on international matters.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38451258

He's certainly surrounded himself with a bunch of fruit loops who share his ideology. It's all a bit scary, especially as far as defence and climate change goes, the man and many around him are loose cannons. 

I think a NATO without the USA are well capable of holding off an attack from Russia conventionally speaking, if Nukes were used then I'd rather not get to see the aftermath, I'd prefer to be on the losing side and dead. 

These nutjobs all have to be vetted by a Congressional committee. They get a proper going over and the name of the game for incoming Presidents is to line up a whole load of acolytes in the expectation that after some horse trading they can get a few accepted . Most of these helmets wont take office.

Not making light of threat of conflict but neither Putin or Trump want Europe to go up in smoke . Bad for business  

As far as the most powerful countries military wise go. (Although this will differ slightly depending on what source you use and what is known, for example Pakistan is seen as quite a power by some whereas the UK is down in 9th) 

Russia

China

India

UK (N)

France  (N)

Germany (N)

South Korea

Japan

Turkey (N)

Italy (N)

Brazil

You also have to add the likes of Australia, Poland, Canada etc who are part of Nato. 

I would be genuinely surprised if any of those countries could muster enough troops and tanks to stop an all out Russian attack to be honest. 

“My impression is that Trump may become the American President, because the alternative to him, Hillary Clinton, is just so unconvincing. She is almost like a copy of someone like Merkel—someone who just keeps on with the same policies that led to the trouble in the first place.” She admired the American willingness to take risks: “It might not be better under Trump, but at least with him there is the chance to change.”

“My impression is that Trump may become the American President, because the alternative to him, Hillary Clinton, is just so unconvincing. She is almost like a copy of someone like Merkel—someone who just keeps on with the same policies that led to the trouble in the first place.” She admired the American willingness to take risks: “It might not be better under Trump, but at least with him there is the chance to change.”

Trump is unfit to hold any sort of office, Whether or not anything positive happens as a result of the election is irrelevant to my mind, 

He has made a mockery of the democratic process, told endless lies , broken the law in numerous occasions and is an utterly revolting human being, Quite where this goes is frightening but all accepted norms of how politics can be conducted have been thrown out of the window,

Trump is unfit to hold any sort of office, Whether or not anything positive happens as a result of the election is irrelevant to my mind, 

He has made a mockery of the democratic process, told endless lies , broken the law in numerous occasions and is an utterly revolting human being, Quite where this goes is frightening but all accepted norms of how politics can be conducted have been thrown out of the window,

I believe he was quoting some far right German politician.

Frauke Petry of the Alternative für Deutschland in October, from The New Yorker. I was reading it today and reminded me of certain views, both on here and in Assange's last interview for (I think) La Republica, which was widely quoted elsewhere.

• Upvote 1

and Dennis.  And RP.

Obama seems to have played a blinder here. Acknowledging that Russia interfered, kicking out diplomats and imposing sanctions. Trump now has to continue with them and admit it happened, or stop them and look guilty as fuck.

Obama has accomplished nothing with this I'm afraid. Trump won't care what it looks like, he'll rescind the measures without batting an eyelid if it suits his agenda. He'll maintain that the charges were fabricated by the Democrats and the Washington establishment to discredit him, and because the security agencies won't go public with their evidence the majority of his supporters will give him the benefit of the doubt.

• Upvote 1

Russia

China

India

UK (N)

France (N)

Germany (N)

South Korea

Japan

Turkey (N)

Italy (N)

Brazil

I've worked with the Indian Army a few times, I know they have the numbers but I refuse to have them above us based on the fact they've all been utterly clueless. (They really don't like the rain and cold either)

Experience counts for absolutely everything in warfare...

Guest Pistonbroke

I've worked with the Indian Army a few times, I know they have the numbers but I refuse to have them above us based on the fact they've all been utterly clueless. (They really don't like the rain and cold either)

Experience counts for absolutely everything in warfare...

You did read the info on the links right? 

These lists were compiled by experts, not by some Andy Mcnab wannabe who served a few years in the forces. India have 1905 Aircraft compared to the UK's 936. Nearly 6000 tanks compared to the UK's 407. Ah fuck it, read it yourself, you'll only claim your knowledge is better than those who compile such info. 

Obama has accomplished nothing with this I'm afraid. Trump won't care what it looks like, he'll rescind the measures without batting an eyelid if it suits his agenda. He'll maintain that the charges were fabricated by the Democrats and the Washington establishment to discredit him, and because the security agencies won't go public with their evidence the majority of his supporters will give him the benefit of the doubt.

It's genuinely disturbing how much Trump's base seem to have time for Putin. If ever there was a case for how utterly nuts that section of American society is, it's that they revile someone like Hilary Clinton and yet turn a blind eye to the fact their country may soon be ruled by someone with the backing of a country which has been its enemy for 60 years. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Russia announcing retaliation, apparently it will cause the US significant discomfort. Reports saying they could be planning to shut down a school for diplomats children, yep, that is going to teach them. It's like watching two young lads having an argument in a school ground.