You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Ships and Boats Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The first of the Royal Navy's Type 26 City class frigates, Glasgow gets floated down the Clyde on a barge to later be floated off in deeper water by submerging the barge.

The ship isnt officially HMS Glasgow yet as she isnt in commission and is why her name Glasgow is painted black on her aft quarter deck flanks.

All commissioned RN ships have their name in red except the now decommisioned HMS Monmouth whose name was in black. This was in recognition of the Black Duke, a dukedom that no longer exists due to being involved with the uprising to put bonnie Prince Charlie on the thrown.

• Upvote 4

On 23/11/2022 at 16:42, Bjornebye said:

I've always known the song, but it's only recently I found out that it's about a shipwreck that's not only real but recent (when the song was written).

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

The first of the Royal Navy's Type 26 City class frigates, Glasgow gets floated down the Clyde on a barge to later be floated off in deeper water by submerging the barge.

The ship isnt officially HMS Glasgow yet as she isnt in commission and is why her name Glasgow is painted black on her aft quarter deck flanks.

All commissioned RN ships have their name in red except the now decommisioned HMS Monmouth whose name was in black. This was in recognition of the Black Duke, a dukedom that no longer exists due to being involved with the uprising to put bonnie Prince Charlie on the thrown.

Fuck's sake, my old English teacher would be chucking the blackboard cleaner at me, 'throne' not thrown!

Anyway, here's another clip of her going along the Clyde to Scotstoun where she'll be floated off the barge.

Glasgow gets floated off the barge at night. Guess there were operational reasons for the timing such as needing the height of the tide for submerging the barge and allowing for Glasgow's draft as any Russian \ Chinese spy satellites had plenty of time to spot her on the hard standing at Govan?

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Fleet Auxillary Fort victoria departs the float dock at Lairds after completion of work on her. Didnt realise she's the last of her class still in service.

These little tugs are powerful fuckers. One on the bow and one on the stern to edge her through the narrow dock entrance and into the river with the aid of a few shovers to keep her off the dock walls. They have steerable props so they can pull sideways when needed.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
30 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Company put out a statement that only mentions crew members, not tourists. Not that it makes it any better for the poor bastards.

Hmmm, I bet they are classing the tourists as crew. It’s like these space tourists, they are called crew when they go up.

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

I didn't realise that was the location of the wreck, for some reason I've always thought it was miles norther than that. 

Grim for anyone trapped down there. Imagine dying on the Titanic this day in age.  

And people laughed when  I said I was looking forward to Titanic 2!

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, redheart said:

Imagine being in that submersible about the size of a car. You know you have up to 96 hours oxygen and nobody can get to you.

All of you know that you are slowly going to die.

About as grim as it gets

I had a nightmare years ago about the Kursk disaster. Horrible it was. Poor bastards. I had a look around HMS Talent when it was docked in Plymouth once. You have to be wired differently to want to be a submariner. Oddly most of the submariners I knew in the Navy were Scottish. 

35 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I had a nightmare years ago about the Kursk disaster. Horrible it was. Poor bastards. I had a look around HMS Talent when it was docked in Plymouth once. You have to be wired differently to want to be a submariner. Oddly most of the submariners I knew in the Navy were Scottish. 

I used to work with an ex submariner.

Used to stink to high heaven and always looked like he needed a good wash, preferably with a Karcher.

Not sure were he was from, he wasn't a Scot and he wasn't Scouse either and a proper loner.

Weird fucker.

• Upvote 1