You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Inequality

AngryOfTuebrook

50 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Tony Benn did as well. 

See, that's two good humans that went to private schools therefore they're absolutely tremendous for society. 

Well, I only needed one to prove the actual point I was making, but I appreciate the assist.

1 hour ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Well, I only needed one to prove the actual point I was making, but I appreciate the assist.

Have George Orwell if you like.  Or even the bloke who wrote the article about why people from his background are the least suited to running the country,

Public schools are designed to be cunt factories.  Like any factory, occasionally a product doesn't turn out the way it's supposed to; the existence of a handful of decent people doesn't disprove the general point.

1 hour ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Have George Orwell if you like.  Or even the bloke who wrote the article about why people from his background are the least suited to running the country,

Public schools are designed to be cunt factories.  Like any factory, occasionally a product doesn't turn out the way it's supposed to; the existence of a handful of decent people doesn't disprove the general point.

I think focusing on Public Schools is a bit of complaining about the symptoms not the disease.

8 hours ago, Section_31 said:

I think what public schools do is condition people to expect success. There'll be lots of little lord fuckpants types who say they expect to be prime minister or head of the bank of England or whatever and none of their teachers or parents will be laughing.

Private school teaches liberty, state teaches duty.

Forever the case.

In a boon for the modern world and modern ways of working Google have hit upon a novel new way of seeing the work place and it's workers.

Employees will be given the option of working remotely/from home, if they take a pay cut in line with where they live.

So, they are saving money on not having to provide a work place/space and they are saving money on wages as well by shafting employees out of wages for doing the same work/job as their peers if they make a proactive choice in their work/life balance.

Different people will be paid different wages for doing the same role based on their proximity to an office space, which them not using saves the company money.

Yey, capitalism...

24 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

In a boon for the modern world and modern ways of working Google have hit upon a novel new way of seeing the work place and it's workers.

Employees will be given the option of working remotely/from home, if they take a pay cut in line with where they live.

So, they are saving money on not having to provide a work place/space and they are saving money on wages as well by shafting employees out of wages for doing the same work/job as their peers if they make a proactive choice in their work/life balance.

Different people will be paid different wages for doing the same role based on their proximity to an office space, which them not using saves the company money.

Yey, capitalism...

The gmnt beat them to it

An unnamed tory mp suggested this, the other day.

• 4 weeks later...

Was reading an article the other day about how little money writers make now (an average of 12 grand a year) due to changes in how royalties were distributed, I think it's roughly similar with the music industry too, there's household names out there apparently making not much more than minimum wage due to the streaming industry.

Some advert popped up on Facebook for a blag version of that cameo, and there's relatively famous actors doing personalised vids for like 20 quid a pop.

It makes you think at how skewered everything is now to the business side of things, in virtually all walks of life, to the extent where industries which once would have given an amazing living to people don't any more. There's no golden ticket any more, or if there is, they'll take it back off you and charge you for the stub.

This business with the NI hike today too, with the masses hit in the pocket rather than the super rich, and the planning changes which ties the hands of planning commtees in the face of developers looking to Hoover up town centre space where once the butcher and baker could have grown a business, while property prices continue to rise.

I think there was a time where you could join the very rich if you were fortunate enough and lucky enough. But now they've got everything sewn up. 

I think it will one day soon become impossible, and I mean truly impossible, to become anything approaching wealthy unless you're already there, or are born to someone who's already there.

I for one am particularly happy with the new taxes.

As someone who was entitled to zero support at all through any of the Covid time I had to sell off a load of stuff I own just to get by.

It's very pleasing to know that I'm going to be stuck with the bill for all the help I wasn't entitled to. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

Was reading an article the other day about how little money writers make now (an average of 12 grand a year) due to changes in how royalties were distributed, I think it's roughly similar with the music industry too, there's household names out there apparently making not much more than minimum wage due to the streaming industry.

Some advert popped up on Facebook for a blag version of that cameo, and there's relatively famous actors doing personalised vids for like 20 quid a pop.

It makes you think at how skewered everything is now to the business side of things, in virtually all walks of life, to the extent where industries which once would have given an amazing living to people don't any more. There's no golden ticket any more, or if there is, they'll take it back off you and charge you for the stub.

This business with the NI hike today too, with the masses hit in the pocket rather than the super rich, and the planning changes which ties the hands of planning commtees in the face of developers looking to Hoover up town centre space where once the butcher and baker could have grown a business, while property prices continue to rise.

I think there was a time where you could join the very rich if you were fortunate enough and lucky enough. But now they've got everything sewn up. 

I think it will one day soon become impossible, and I mean truly impossible, to become anything approaching wealthy unless you're already there, or are born to someone who's already there.

Spot on. The NI hike is another way of helping the reach avoid paying their share and the normal Joe subsidising it. I believe NI has a ceiling which the rich can hit without it affecting them much at all while it is significant for everybody else and especially PAYE earners. So fuckin crooked and morons just accept it because 'Corbyn is an antisemite' or 'Dianne Abbot will eat your kids and replace them with Syrian refugees.'

• Upvote 1

I've always been for a flat rate of interest regardless of income. 

That said, it's too high. When they start cutting money into the working class to feed the wannabe and upper class you need a revolt. It's Guy Fawkes night soon. I hope he rises from the dead and blows them all to hell this time. 

37 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I've always been for a flat rate of interest regardless of income. 

That said, it's too high. When they start cutting money into the working class to feed the wannabe and upper class you need a revolt. It's Guy Fawkes night soon. I hope he rises from the dead and blows them all to hell this time. 

'Start cutting money?' They've been doing it for 40 years and more. We're left with nothing any more but debt.

Who would have expected a break in stamp duty would have allowed a load of speculative property investment and in turn a scramble for private dwelling and price hikes.

It's almost like if you just stop to think for one second about the consequences of policy you could mitigate against.

Sanuk just gave everybody who sat at home and bought property during the plague, or had already snaffled up more than they need, a potential 12% ROI with further rental income to actually pay costs, with very very little tax liability and those that couldn't afford to get on to the already inflated property market a rent hike, a NI increase and inflation rise due to Brexit supply issues.

Chapeau, Rishi.

'Private rents outside London are rising at their fastest rate for 13 years, research suggests, as tenants making plans for life post-pandemic compete for properties.

The property website Zoopla said average rents across the UK outside the capital rose by 5% over the 12 months to the end of July – adding more than £450 to a typical annual rent bill – the biggest increase since its index began in 2008.

However, locations popular with tenants quitting London and other big cities after reevaluating their lifestyle have seen rents jump by a lot more – up to 25%, according to some estate agents.

Rents in Wigan, Greater Manchester, and Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, have risen by upwards of 10% in a year, while in Hastings, East Sussex, and Norwich rents are up by more than 9%.'

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/sep/08/rents-outside-london-soaring-at-fastest-rate-on-record-agencies-say

12 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Reports that Michael Gove recently accepted a 100,000 pound payment from a land investor/private developer on the day of his birthday.

It's actually like a competition to.see who can take the piss the most.

The fact that, the current clown can make comments about rather seeking bodies piled high..and a huge chunk.of the country shrugs their shoulders,

Doesnt fill me with confidence that things like this will make an iota of difference. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Arniepie said:

It's actually like a competition to.see who can take the piss the most.

The fact that, the current clown can make comments about rather seeking bodies piled high..and a huge chunk.of the country shrugs their shoulders,

Doesnt fill me with confidence that things like this will make an iota of difference. 

Exactly. Robert Jenrick stood up and lied in parliament about his dodgy property sleaze. Cunt should have been sent to jail but nope, swept under the carpet and Corbyns an anti-Semite remember 

• Upvote 1

From the head of OfSTED

This country can go fuck itself, just fuck off.

‘Schools that prioritised sending food parcels to their poorest pupils during lockdown in England may not have been able to focus on providing an education to all their students, the head of Ofsted has claimed.

Amanda Spielman said it was “admirable” for staff to focus on children who were in greatest need when the pandemic first hit, but this may have had consequences for the calibre of learning a school was able to provide for all children.

She added: “In a lot of schools it felt as though their attention went very rapidly to the most disadvantaged children, into making food parcels, going out visiting.

“They put a great deal of attention into the children with greatest difficulties which is admirable, but in some cases that probably got prioritised – certainly last summer, the summer of 2020 – which may have meant that they did not have the capacity left to make sure there was some kind of education offer for all children.”’

2 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

From the head of OfSTED

This country can go fuck itself, just fuck off.

‘Schools that prioritised sending food parcels to their poorest pupils during lockdown in England may not have been able to focus on providing an education to all their students, the head of Ofsted has claimed.

Amanda Spielman said it was “admirable” for staff to focus on children who were in greatest need when the pandemic first hit, but this may have had consequences for the calibre of learning a school was able to provide for all children.

She added: “In a lot of schools it felt as though their attention went very rapidly to the most disadvantaged children, into making food parcels, going out visiting.

“They put a great deal of attention into the children with greatest difficulties which is admirable, but in some cases that probably got prioritised – certainly last summer, the summer of 2020 – which may have meant that they did not have the capacity left to make sure there was some kind of education offer for all children.”’

The most Tory statement not made by a Tory MP.