You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gone

Dicko

Youve spent the last 3 and half years maliciously campaigning against Rodgers and now you want Sousa to replace him? What the actual fuck is wrong with people.

Fuck off. I have said who I want as a new manager in the respective thread.

1. Simeone

2. Ancelotti

3. Klopp

All I'm saying is that Swansea's foundations were set by Sousa who seems to be the new prodigy in football management, as well as who I wanted as a Manager to continue(not destroy) Rafa's legacy (Quique Flores).

I would love to hear from Coro, his view on Rodgers' dismissal as well as the new recruitment process and candidates.

Fuck off. I have said who I want as a new manager in the respective thread.

1. Simeone

2. Ancelotti

3. Klopp

All I'm saying is that Swansea's foundations were set by Sousa who seems to be the new prodigy in football management, as well as who I wanted as a Manager to continue(not destroy) Rafa's legacy (Quique Flores).

I would love to hear from Coro, his view on Rodgers' dismissal as well as the new recruitment process and candidates.

Swanseas foundations were not set by Sousa.

Good post, Xerxes.

The more I think about it, the more likely it is that Klopp had already agreed to take over before yesterday. An ideal window for us with every other half decent club having somebody in position, and the recent bad form of Manchester City and Chelsea possibly increased the urgency in getting the chosen replacement in before other job opportunities might materialise.  

It is telling that the overwhelming emotion after Brendan was sacked is relief.

I never thought that it was wrong to give him a go, but it was a risk I would not have taken. For me he just did not have the credentials for the job, but I understand the argument that some special coaches just need a chance, and they will seize it. Who was to know? Odds against, but when your other options are Paul Lambert and Bob Martinez, why not?

In order to take a position like the manager’s at LFC you need to believe and have confidence in yourself, so I excused the initial huster and bluster. Sometimes you have to fake it before you can make it. That breathing space was always going to be limited.

The fundamental flaws in his application were, in retrospect, astonishing. One year’s Pl experience, won nothing, no European experience, very brief playing and managerial experience, no experience at the top end of the transfer market, no experience of assembling a side. What were FSG thinking?

He did have a reputation as an emerging coach. He was the most voracious of devourers of FA media courses, he put both to good effect when he started. But his confidence over reached his ability from the start. Someone so inexperienced was mad to eschew the services of a DOF or eminence grise, the inexperienced Ayre was mad to acquiesce.

That first year was fine. It is easy to underestimate the problems left by KK’s tenure. Brendan sorted it out. How? By positivism and good coaching, his signings had a negligible impact on the squad for two reasons, firstly they weren’t good enough, secondly they were too few to matter.

Year two, The Second Finish, is the contentious one. Firstly, a second placed league finish is just that, a creditable achievement, and one of which he can be rightly proud. Secondly, only a fool would ignore the context. His failure to win a Euro place meant no European mid- week football to distract. His failure in the early rounds of the domestic cups meant we could concentrate on the league. We had no significant injury problems, and most refereeing decisions went our way. Suarez was gearing up to showcase his talents in a World Cup year.

Meanwhile amongst our competitors, Chelsea and Man U had new managers who needed to change things, the latter disastrously, and Arsenal were riven by injuries. That does not lessen Brendan’s achievement- management is about making the most of the hand you have been dealt. But it does offer context to why those thinking that he could “go again” were wrong. Those circumstances were never going to repeat themselves. And although it is true that Brendan created the framework for some great football, and bucket loads of goals, he also failed to fix the defence. If he had that season, we would have won the league. So was that second finish testament to a great managerial achievement, or a flawed regime?

Suarez departure for season three was not Rodgers’ fault. Sturridge’s injury was cruel misfortune. But in the same way that he rode his luck in season two, he had to make it in season three. He failed. His “philosophy” was exposed as “get it to Suarez”. No manager would not have been set back by the loss of the SAS. But a wise one would have realised that shutting the back door quick was THE priority when we were not going to score enough goals, and recruiting players who were going to chip in goals from other positions to make good the shortfall was vital. He failed. That was when the coaching skills we thought we had bought at the expense of experience were needed- we were conned. Balotelli, Lovrens, Lambert, Lallana, all went backwards. As the season wore on the bankruptcy of his input became increasingly exposed, not least against Villa at Wembley, at home against Palace and then away Stoke. The writing was on the wall. He was out of ideas. He claimed he had “much more to give”. It was more of the same.

However it is Europe which has been the most glaring forum for Brendan’s inability. LFC is one of the greatest clubs in European football history, with a 21st century record of success. It defines LFC as a club whose reach stretches far beyond our island nation. Brendan’s current record is one win in nine Euro games- that win against Ludogorets Razgrad. We are the richest club in the EL, yet under Brendan, we have become a much anticipated day out for the likes of Sion.That is not, never was, and never will be, good enough.

Finding a manager to restore our club to greatness will be difficult. Finding someone with a better CV than Brendan to try will be easy. In Greek mythology, Icarus ignored his father’s warnings by flying his waxed feathered wings too close to the sun, and perished. Similarly, Brendan ignored our defence, the need for a DOF, jettisoned experience like Agger, Reina, Carra and Stevie G, thinking he could fly, but instead suffered the same fate as Icarus.

I don’t blame Brendan. He was not up to the job, but who wouldn’t have taken it if offered? He was like the kid in Willy Wonkas chocolate factory who won the golden ticket. But now Brendan has woken up, and it was only a fantasy. I do blame FSG for making such a high risk appointment, and then ignoring the end of last season’s debacle . Perhaps they will give Pascoe and Marsh their jobs back now?

That is a well written piece,more or less smacks the nail on the head.

13/14 was the best football I've seen a Liverpool side play, given I was too young when we were sweeping all before us.

Time was right, though, and he'd lost it big time.

If Klopp can work the same kind of magic he did at Dortmund, I'll be first in line offering to give him a hand jibber to show my eternal gratitude.

Good post, Xerxes.

The more I think about it, the more likely it is that Klopp had already agreed to take over before yesterday. An ideal window for us with every other half decent club having somebody in position, and the recent bad form of Manchester City and Chelsea possibly increased the urgency in getting the chosen replacement in before other job opportunities might materialise.  

I think this too but with people like Ayre running the show you have to factor in a massive margin of fuck up. I want it done quickly as I think my head will fucking explode if they end up with a another rookie. We are relying on the people that brought us Mario Balotelli to get this sorted which is a sobering thought.

His first season was awful he didn't improve on the kings a honeymoon period and allowed him to plan season two with no Europe and we went out the cups early in all his seasons always relied on strikers or throwing everyone forward to overwhelm he had nothing else to offer but words. The go out and play philosophy never wins anything in the real world and let this be the end of the Keegan kurse.

His first season was awful he didn't improve on the kings a honeymoon period and allowed him to plan season two with no Europe and we went out the cups early in all his seasons always relied on strikers or throwing everyone forward to overwhelm he had nothing else to offer but words.

and there's a man who should know.

and there's a man who should know.

Come on man at least make them funny I give plenty of rope to be hung with I've diligently and doggedly rubbished the man from day one and dared him and his supporters to prove me wrong until there only jp left and deserve to be mocked to a higher standard than this I want to speak to your manager.

• Upvote 3

Come on man at least make them funny I give plenty of rope to be hung with I've diligently and doggedly rubbished the man from day one and dared him and his supporters to prove me wrong until there only jp left and deserve to be mocked to a higher standard than this I want to speak to your manager.

I'm sorry Dennis, I'm being distracted by work.  I'm happy to concede you do have a point though. 

Can't believe how classless a lot of fans are. The treatment and ridicule of Brendan was a fucking joke, we dish it out to other clubs for their behaviour but our fans are no better. Brendan was a good man and gave his absolute best and I'll never forget the feelings of the spring of 2014 and the absolute unity and excitement of the club, it was genuine ecstacy. That slip will forever haunt him and I, oh what could of been. All the best Brendan, I'll certainly be giving you the warmest of receptions whenever you return to anfield.

• Upvote 2

Can't believe how classless a lot of fans are. The treatment and ridicule of Brendan was a fucking joke, we dish it out to other clubs for their behaviour but our fans are no better. Brendan was a good man and gave his absolute best and I'll never forget the feelings of the spring of 2014 and the absolute unity and excitement of the club, it was genuine ecstacy. That slip will forever haunt him and I, oh what could of been. All the best Brendan, I'll certainly be giving you the warmest of receptions whenever you return to anfield.

It's dead easy being classy when the team you support is the best in the country.

I'd just like to point out something in think that's being overlooked.

If people think that a new manager is going to solve all our problems I think they'll be mistaken. FSG are still a naive group of individuals when it comes to football. They will still conspire to make a mess of the basics. I wouldn't be too convinced our problems have disappeared with Brendan's departure.