You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should the UK remain a member of the EU

Anny Road

317 members have voted

1. 1. Should the UK remain a member of the EU

• Yes
    • No

It wont even be a shock when the majority of English vote to leave. Its a forgone conclusion, which will then lead to independence for Wales and Scotland, and all because freedom of movement is dressed up as a bad thing by the Aussies and Russians that run the media. But I tell you what the likes of What_What will miss the 'No Armani, No Punnani' guys when they are gone.

Am I the only one that wants us to leave purely because it'll piss SD off? Then he'll know how we felt when his boys were giving it the Marshall Pétain treatment.

I don't think we will vote to leave. The neo liberals don't want it. So it won't happen.

Democracy is like a Chinese buffet. It gives the illusion of choice where none exists.

I don't think we will vote to leave. The neo liberals don't want it. So it won't happen.

The right wing press want it, so it will happen.

For all the influence the multinationals exert over governments, when it comes to swaying the opinion of Joe Public they can't hold a candle to the S*n and the Mail, especially when the subject is immigration and foreign interference in British life. Normally corporate and media power work in tandem in this country, but not this time, and I know who my money's on.

I can honestly foresee chaos.

The Uk will vote to leave. This will trigger a Scottish Independence referendum. Which will pass. Scotland will then maintain or rejoin the EU.

Short of rebuilding Hadrian's wall Scotland will become a  gateway for immigration into England.

I cannot see any positives in leaving.

I will say though Cameron's reforms are a pile of shite. Set the bar too low in renegotiation. Plays right into the leavers hands.

There's little doubt in my mind that immigration is largely a bogey issue touted by right wing politicians and Murdoch organs in order to distract the economic underclasses from the real issues facing us, such as rising inequality, tax avoidance by corporations and the rich, and austerity measures aimed at destroying any lingering social justice in this country. I'm talking about a process started by Thatcher in the 80s and continued by the current crop of Tories just as soon as they had the excuse of the economic disaster which resulted from their own deregulation of the banks, and it's a far bigger issue than where a few people decide to live and work. It's not necessarily racist to fall for the bait, hook, line and sinker, but it's a pity more people don't seek to educate themselves on the subject before stirring the pot.

On the subject of Europe, I see it as unwieldy and undemocratic, but ask me whether I'd rather be part of a union which seeks to uphold my human rights and protect my privacy or part of a wannabe police state which seeks to get rid of them, and I'd rather have what scant protection Europe affords than not.

• Upvote 7

There's little doubt in my mind that immigration is largely a bogey issue touted by right wing politicians and Murdoch organs in order to distract the economic underclasses from the real issues facing us, such as rising inequality, tax avoidance by corporations and the rich, and austerity measures aimed at destroying any lingering social justice in this country. I'm talking about a process started by Thatcher in the 80s and continued by the current crop of Tories just as soon as they had the excuse of the economic disaster which resulted from their own deregulation of the banks, and it's a far bigger issue than where a few people decide to live and work. It's not necessarily racist to fall for the bait, hook, line and sinker, but it's a pity more people don't seek to educate themselves on the subject before stirring the pot.

On the subject of Europe, I see it as unwieldy and undemocratic, but ask me whether I'd rather be part of a union which seeks to uphold my human rights and protect my privacy or part of a wannabe police state which seeks to get rid of them, and I'd rather have what scant protection Europe affords than not.

Spot on.

Thatcher's "There's no such thing as society" could be written on the gravestone of this country's attitude to social justice, and she was given a state funeral in all but name at the very time her successors were doing a number on the NHS she couldn't have dreamed of, slashing hard won safety nets and pushing the most vulnerable among us into a blackhole, yet they romped back in when the population had a chance to deliver it's verdict on that.

It really is what she would have wanted.

• Upvote 1

I never thought I'd agree with Stronts on a serious political issue but I totally agree with him on staying in Europe. Regardless of our many differences on other issues.

Hell,as somebody born on Merseyside with a line of Irish ancestry on all sides of my family(like many on here) it cannot be that long ago,relatively speaking,that my relative were those 'immigrants' and being harassed because they were Irish and Catholic in a 'foreign' country.

Thank god times have changed,eh!

Guest Pistonbroke

Spot on.

Thatcher's "There's no such thing as society" could be written on the gravestone of this country's attitude to social justice, and she was given a state funeral in all but name at the very time her successors were doing a number on the NHS she couldn't have dreamed of, slashing hard won safety nets and pushing the most vulnerable among us into a blackhole, yet they romped back in when the population had a chance to deliver it's verdict on that.

It really is what she would have wanted.

I think if the Tories replace Cameron with Borris you could end up with at least another term of Tory rule despite how shite they'll be. Your modern day voter treats politics like they do shitty talent(less) shows. It is not about what you offer but more of how much they like you. If the UK leave the EU I reckon you can kiss goodbye to UK as it exists today, I can't see Scotland or Wales wanting to be part of it, you'll be left with England and a little annex called Northern Ireland. Guess which parts of society will bare the brunt of the Tory cuts as England (because NI won't even get a mention in any new name which evolves after the break up of the UK) suffer. 

Another few points to factor in should the UK vote to leave the EU. A lot of ex pats might be forced to return, nearly 2 million alone living in Europe as it stands, where the fuck are they gonna live and find work? Plus the Military from Germany are all going to return over the next few years, more housing needed. 

We come out the EU and Britain will cease to excist! Leaving the Tories to rape and Pillage whats left in England, meanwhile a whole 2million British living in Europe (Love to know where this figure comes from) will get kicked out of the countries they're in leaving them homeless. As well as returning ex squaddies.

You really could not make shit like that up....do you work for the EU propaganda wing??

Guest Pistonbroke

We come out the EU and Britain will cease to excist! Leaving the Tories to rape and Pillage whats left in England, meanwhile a whole 2million British living in Europe (Love to know where this figure comes from) will get kicked out of the countries they're in leaving them homeless. As well as returning ex squaddies.

You really could not make shit like that up....do you work for the EU propaganda wing??

I already posted you links to back up the amount of Brits living in European countries and what will probably happen should the UK leave the EU, not my fault you don't choose to read it. I didn't say ex squaddies did I? I'm on about the forces who are pulling out of Germany fully over the next few years. 

Like you say, you couldn't make this shit up. You really should learn to read what is posted before you have a pop. 

Forces pulling out of Germany has fuck all to do with the EU! Its baffling how you've managed to link the two.

No its not if Juncker's aim of a European army, air force and navy come to fruition. Do you seriously think British Forces would be Garrisoned in Germany even as part of NATO if there's an EU Defence Force?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

If we can't be a part of Europe I think we should invade it instead. Alert all commands, deploy the fleet.

With an aircraft carrier that has no aircraft, and six Type 45 destroyers in desperate need of engine refits because their current engines underpowered them and lead to power failures? Good luck with that, Napoleon 31.

2 years ago my younger brother applied for a job there, never got anything back until the agency got in touch 6 or so months later, he got offered some work with no guarantee of anything long term, they only wanted him there for 2 weeks and he took home a pathetic £219 per week, the place was full of Eastern Europeans of course.

With respect, you'll find your brothers experience has everything to do with employers, encouraged by the present incumbent government, implementing more agency and zero-hours contract work as long term employees leave naturally.

This has nothing to do with Eastern Europeans, and everything to do with the erosion of employee rights, regardless of their nationality.

• Upvote 2

I'm surprised they they haven't mentioned the plague of locusts, raining fire and Britain crumbling apart and falling into the sea yet.

No-one really knows for sure what would would happen if we leave but without doubt it's in the DNA of this country is to punch above its weight and do alright for itself, I can't see that changing just because we leave one of the most corrupt organisations on Earth to look after our own affairs.

• Upvote 1

With respect, you'll find your brothers experience has everything to do with employers, encouraged by the present incumbent government, implementing more agency and zero-hours contract work as long term employees leave naturally.

This has nothing to do with Eastern Europeans, and everything to do with the erosion of employee rights, regardless of their nationality.

With respect, you're having a laugh there.

With respect, you're having a laugh there.

How so? Employers in jobs like warehousing and even places like Jaguar are switching from a traditional employer/employee contracted and unionised workforce to agency jobs on zero hours contracts. They don't give a shit about your nationality. They are equal opportunity twats.