You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Danny Ings

Ne Moe Imya

My abiding memory of Sterling will be that goal against Chelsea. That for me was just pure fucking brilliance. I remember saying that if it was Messi people would be going mental over it, but yeah, that was rare. If his next club can get him playing to his potential then they have a great player, but it's a big if. We have no idea of what he'll be like from here on out, but we should at least try to get a decent fee for him.

I'll always like that one against City at Anfield last year, when he wrong-footed Kompany and Hart then rolled it into the net.  Mind you, I thought we were going to win the League at that moment and was viewing the match through Cote du Rhone goggles.

Ings is a decent striker and will offer more of a goal threat than Borini when called upon, but looking at his goals in the Championship won't tell you anything as the Premiership has seen plenty of strikers who tore up the Championship but did little once they stepped up - see Nugent, for instance.

However, while Ings is no Suarez, having watched him I think he has enough in his locker to surprise us, provided we use him correctly. Lambert was well capable of scoring more than he did last season, but we never used him properly.

• Upvote 1

I'll admit I haven't seen that much of him but I thought he was an out and out striker...

Seems either he isn't or he has already got himself ready to be played out of position, can't help thinking Rodgers has put these words in his mouth...

“I can play in a number of positions, on the left, as a number 10, or off the right. The strikers at Liverpool are fantastic and there will be competition. The way I looked at it I will get a lot more game time playing in different positions, learning my trade as a young professional, and I think he is the right manager for that"

I'll admit I haven't seen that much of him but I thought he was an out and out striker...

Seems either he isn't or he has already got himself ready to be played out of position, can't help thinking Rodgers has put these words in his mouth...

“I can play in a number of positions, on the left, as a number 10, or off the right. The strikers at Liverpool are fantastic and there will be competition. The way I looked at it I will get a lot more game time playing in different positions, learning my trade as a young professional, and I think he is the right manager for that"

I don't want to hear a striker, coming in to a side managed by Brendan Rodgers, say that he can play anywhere across the front, i want him to say "i'm here to score 20 fucking goals". Becuase with talk like thatm he'll be out of position as quick as you can say "wing back".

Go on Danny say it, "i'm here to score 20 fucking goals".

Good lad.

Ings is a decent striker and will offer more of a goal threat than Borini when called upon, but looking at his goals in the Championship won't tell you anything as the Premiership has seen plenty of strikers who tore up the Championship but did little once they stepped up - see Nugent, for instance.

However, while Ings is no Suarez, having watched him I think he has enough in his locker to surprise us, provided we use him correctly. Lambert was well capable of scoring more than he did last season, but we never used him properly.

A good post in full.

Ings has potential, and is worth a punt.

I do share your concerns that Brendan has failed to get Lambert to perform as he did at Southampton, Borini to score as he did at Sunderland, or Balotelli as he has done at the top level everywhere before.

Brendans credibility, as well as his judgement,is up for test on this one.

I don't want to hear a striker, coming in to a side managed by Brendan Rodgers, say that he can play anywhere across the front, i want him to say "i'm here to score 20 fucking goals". Becuase with talk like thatm he'll be out of position as quick as you can say "wing back".

Go on Danny say it, "i'm here to score 20 fucking goals".

Good lad.

Pretty much exactly my thoughts when reading the comments

Is it in their contract that they have to say "I signed on because of Rodgers"? Genuinely I'm mystified by this, every signing says the same thing. Who are they trying to convince with this shit?

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jun/22/liverpool-danny-ings-number-burnley-england?

iverpool’s new signing Danny Ings prepares to play the numbers game
Striker stays clear of an Anfield legend’s shirt number for fear of increased pressure after his move from Burnley
Sweden-v-England---UEFA-E-009.jpg?w=300&
Danny Ings made a positive impact when he came on as a substitute in the England Under-21s victory over Sweden on Sunday. Photograph: Lee Smith/Action Images via Reuters

John Ashdown

Monday 22 June 2015 22.30 BST Last modified on Tuesday 23 June 2015 01.05 BST

Danny Ings is wary of taking a historically significant Liverpool shirt number and insists he must earn the right to wear one of those worn by Anfield greats over the years.

Ings, part of the England Under-21 squad who are playing in the European Championship in the Czech Republic, will wear the No28 shirt when he joins from Burnley on 1 July, in part because of the pressure of stepping into the shoes of Steven Gerrard et al.

“I stayed away from the low numbers,” the 22-year-old said of his selection. “You have got to take that pressure off yourself as a young lad coming through. That is what I personally think.”

The No7 shirt worn by Kevin Keegan, Kenny Dalglish, Peter Beardsley and Luis Suárez and the No9 shirt that Ian St John, Ian Rush and Robbie Fowler have donned are traditionally the Liverpool numbers most associated with the weight of history. Gerrard’s career means the No8 has added significance and his departure to LA Galaxy means his number, in addition to the No7 vacated by Suárez last summer, is now available.

Ings, though, who wore the No10 with Burnley, has no interest in taking either just yet. “I would make sure I am established before taking any of those numbers,” he said. “It is such a huge club. That was the thinking behind it. I wouldn’t want to go to Liverpool and chuck a shirt on my back like that … it is pressure you don’t need. The expectation at clubs like that is huge. Obviously I am going to work my socks off to earn that number one day. For now I will take a high number and work hard.”

The transfer fee taking him from Turf Moor to Anfield has yet to be finalised, with Liverpool expecting to pay between £5m-6m and Burnley holding out for something closer to £10m. An independent tribunal will decide on the price if the clubs cannot come to an arrangement.

The disagreement means the move will be slightly more protracted than it could have been. For Ings, though, the potential for a change of scene has been long in the pipeline, beginning with his decision not to sign a new contract at Burnley last summer.

“I knew about my contract situation at the start of the season,” he said. “I had a big decision to make whether to sign a new contract or not. I sat down with my family and agent and we came up with I was going to hold out.

“I had quite a strong season, but obviously we went down and I was gutted. But I thought I did enough to get myself a good move and the next step, and another challenge. It is a challenge I am really looking forward to and I can’t wait to get going.”

Ings has twice impressed as a substitute for England in the Under-21 Championship and could have done enough to force himself into Gareth Southgate’s plans for their make-or-break final group game against Italy on Wednesday. Southgate’s side play with a lone striker in the shape of Harry Kane and thus far Tom Carroll and Will Hughes have been preferred in the starting XI in the role just behind the Tottenham striker.

Ings would perhaps offer a more attacking option at No10 but he is happy to wait for his chance. “That is the competition you want for any side, club or country,” he said.

“You need that competition to push each other along to perform better. We did that against Sweden. Everyone came on and made an impact. That is what the manager needs. You can’t have players come on and not make the impact because the game will slowly slip away from you. It is important you are ready.”

Southgate’s three substitutes against Sweden did indeed help turn the tide, with Ruben Loftus-Cheek and Jesse Lingard also impressing. The latter’s 85th-minute winner means England go into their final game in the same Andruv Stadium in Olomouc knowing a win will to take them through to the semi-finals for the first time since 2009. A draw may be enough but it would leave them relying on Sweden failing to beat Portugal, which kicks off simultaneously.

• Upvote 2

Thats a brilliant attitude to have, highlighted in the above article. I really like Ing's as a person, he seems like a lovely guy, always putting himself out there for disability charities and is extremely humble and comes across as hardworking and dedicated to his football. He might be the dark horse of our transfer dealings like Can was last season.

Thats a brilliant attitude to have, highlighted in the above article. I really like Ing's as a person, he seems like a lovely guy, always putting himself out there for disability charities and is extremely humble and comes across as hardworking and dedicated to his football. He might be the dark horse of our transfer dealings like Can was last season.

I agree mate thats why I stuck it on here. Really refreshing, brilliant attitude will serve him well.

Not sure I'm with you here. I'd rather someone who thinks he is deserving of being here, someone who's ready to take on the responsibility of being a Liverpool striker. Put it this way, Suarez wouldn't pick a high number.