You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Danny Ings

Ne Moe Imya

This might be a bit conspiracy nut-job, but does anyone else wonder if this is as much about the potential of Ings as an "investment" as it is about his actual ability to perform for us on the football pitch?  In other words, we could use a fourth-choice striker, and he's one that we can get for cheap because he wants to have Liverpool on his CV (and he probably thinks he has a chance to actually succeed here).  

If he fits well into the group and scores 8 goals, brilliant.  If he doesn't, which is far more likely, we can still flog him off to Swansea or West Ham or someone for £10-12m next summer as long as his wages are low (which you'd expect).  If we end up paying half that fee to Burnley now then we come out ahead, even after wages.  Seems like the kind of play a club managed by a bunch of arbitrage experts would make.

This might be a bit conspiracy nut-job, but does anyone else wonder if this is as much about the potential of Ings as an "investment" as it is about his actual ability to perform for us on the football pitch?  In other words, we could use a fourth-choice striker, and he's one that we can get for cheap because he wants to have Liverpool on his CV (and he probably thinks he has a chance to actually succeed here).  

If he fits well into the group and scores 8 goals, brilliant.  If he doesn't, which is far more likely, we can still flog him off to Swansea or West Ham or someone for £10-12m next summer as long as his wages are low (which you'd expect).  If we end up paying half that fee to Burnley now then we come out ahead, even after wages.  Seems like the kind of play a club managed by a bunch of arbitrage experts would make.

It's the 'kind of play' any club would make, would it suit you better if we sold him for a loss?

• Upvote 1

It's the 'kind of play' any club would make, would it suit you better if we sold him for a loss?

Of course not, my point is simply that the deal may have been done with more than just the footballing side of things in mind.

Chelsea does this quite frequently - buy a player they have absolutely no intention of ever playing for them, loan him out or let him sit at the end of their bench all season, and then sell him on for more.  Lukaku is the perfect example of how it can work for you, never even scored a goal for them and yet they made a massive profit on him even after you subtract the wages they paid.  I think Ings could be a downscaled version of the same deal, and there's a good possibility we won't see much of him actually playing for us.

Of course not, my point is simply that the deal may have been done with more than just the footballing side of things in mind.

Chelsea does this quite frequently - buy a player they have absolutely no intention of ever playing for them, loan him out or let him sit at the end of their bench all season, and then sell him on for more. Lukaku is the perfect example of how it can work for you, never even scored a goal for them and yet they made a massive profit on him even after you subtract the wages they paid. I think Ings could be a downscaled version of the same deal, and there's a good possibility we won't see much of him actually playing for us.

We do this, the buying a player who won't end up playing for us the sitting on bench or loaning out, never playing, never scoring - we just haven't mastered the selling for a massive profit part....

• Upvote 1

Pretty much. Spurs have been doing the same for years.

The more I read about Ings the more he sounds like Borini. Signed at the same age, probably won't play a lot, a striker that works hard, runs a lot, good movement, very modest goalscoring record (bar one season in the Championship). What will he offer that Borini couldn't? I thought Borini would have offered more last season than our other strikers if he'd got the opportunities but he was never a Liverpool player.

Just a need a quote from Rodgers about how much he'll excite the fans.

We do this, the buying a player who won't end up playing for us the sitting on bench or loaning out, never playing, never scoring - we just haven't mastered the selling for a massive profit part....

Ye we do this but in our case its not intentional .

I really hate the clichéd mantra "he's still young and will improve". After 10 years of academy and professional coaching from an early age I would expect anyone to be an expert in their field.

You don't hear brain surgeons saying "the new guy will make a few mistakes, but he'll improve".

I really hate the clichéd mantra "he's still young and will improve". After 10 years of academy and professional coaching from an early age I would expect anyone to be an expert in their field.

You don't hear brain surgeons saying "the new guy will make a few mistakes, but he'll improve".

So we now expect a 17 - 21 year old to be as experienced and physically adept as a 26 -28 year old? 

Are we setting the bar a little bit too high here? 

So, you wouldn't have any issue with Doogie Howser as your surgeon?

• Upvote 1

So we now expect a 17 - 21 year old to be as experienced and physically adept as a 26 -28 year old?

Are we setting the bar a little bit too high here?

Players like Owen rooney Messi had no experience, but they could play. I just hate the mantra, it implies that someone is shit and hopefully will come good instead of hitting the ground running.

Anyway, I've decided I'm calling him Dings. To compensate for his inadequate surname. And because it has a certain ring to it.

Posted Image

Awful that. You'll be able to tell us I tolled you so.

Anyway if he goes through a sticky period I'm going to call him Wings

• Upvote 1