You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last TV Show you watched

Guest Numero Veinticinco

The North Water- 8/10. Very good, really liked Colin Farrell in it and it was well acted all round. I kept expecting a bit of a twist, but it was played straight. Good to see a series telling a decent yarn within 5 episodes without feeling the need to drag on interminably.

The Terror- 7.5/10. I picked this due to its similarities with the above in terms of location. It's based on the true story of a doomed Arctic expedition to try and find the North West passage. The two RN ships end up ice bound in hellish conditions hundreds of miles from safety. Over the three years they're unable to move, they become stalked by a beast from Inuit mythology and succumb to madness due to lead poisoning from faulty tinned rations. The descent into paranoia and savagery is well done, but it's just a bit too drawn out- despite the ten episodes, it seems to be missing a few strands as well, like the main protagonist's back story which is alluded to but never explored. Good, eerie stuff, but just missing something.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Carvalho Diablo said:

The Terror season 1 promised much but delivered very little.

Season 2 was awful.

Yeah, I checked on IMDB, it looks like they just slapped the ship's/ novel's name on a completely unconnected series, presumably trying to make a franchise out of it.

4 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Yeah, I checked on IMDB, it looks like they just slapped the ship's/ novel's name on a completely unconnected series, presumably trying to make a franchise out of it.

I seem to recall they announced they were going to have a S2 when S1 came out a couple of years ago, with different story set in a different time and place, with different characters and by different writers and director. I may have posted about it at the time wandering WTF. So they did it, and it was not good. Surprise, surprise. Maybe the monster was the same?

3 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I seem to recall they announced they were going to have a S2 when S1 came out a couple of years ago, with different story set in a different time and place, with different characters and by different writers and director. I may have posted about it at the time wandering WTF. So they did it, and it was not good. Surprise, surprise. Maybe the monster was the same?

Same sort of idea, I guess, some sort of spirit entity- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Terror_(TV_series)

15 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I though S1 of The Terror was excellent. One of the best things I've seen in ages. Maybe came up a little short on the ending, but otherwise I couldn't fault it. 

It was good to see Caesar and Brutus together again.

The Office (U.S) - 9/10

I always evaded it because I don't like cringe humour and assumed it was far too zany version of the UK one (which I still haven't watched). While it is a bit out there, it still manages to seem somewhat grounded due to how well written it is. Even the true oddballs retain a level of relatability. It declines in the last two seasons but it's still enjoyable. Steve Carrell as Michael Scott and Rainn Wilson as Dwight Schrute are all time brilliant performances.

1 hour ago, Em City said:

The Office (U.S) - 9/10

I always evaded it because I don't like cringe humour and assumed it was far too zany version of the UK one (which I still haven't watched). While it is a bit out there, it still manages to seem somewhat grounded due to how well written it is. Even the true oddballs retain a level of relatability. It declines in the last two seasons but it's still enjoyable. Steve Carrell as Michael Scott and Rainn Wilson as Dwight Schrute are all time brilliant performances.

There's great performances throughout it. It's amazing what a great cast they put together when you think in the 1st instance they were just trying to get people like their UK equivalent. Rainn Wilson is brilliant though, to carry that particular character and make him almost believable is quite some trick. But you can probably list about a dozen actors throughout the whole show who were brilliant. 

Having watched both versions (both as they came out), I think the US is much better, if for no other reason in how it remained fresh for so many episodes. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mudface said:

The North Water- 8/10. Very good, really liked Colin Farrell in it and it was well acted all round. I kept expecting a bit of a twist, but it was played straight. Good to see a series telling a decent yarn within 5 episodes without feeling the need to drag on interminably.

The Terror- 7.5/10. I picked this due to its similarities with the above in terms of location. It's based on the true story of a doomed Arctic expedition to try and find the North West passage. The two RN ships end up ice bound in hellish conditions hundreds of miles from safety. Over the three years they're unable to move, they become stalked by a beast from Inuit mythology and succumb to madness due to lead poisoning from faulty tinned rations. The descent into paranoia and savagery is well done, but it's just a bit too drawn out- despite the ten episodes, it seems to be missing a few strands as well, like the main protagonist's back story which is alluded to but never explored. Good, eerie stuff, but just missing something.

Farrell is exceptional in The North Water.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I though S1 of The Terror was excellent. One of the best things I've seen in ages. Maybe came up a little short on the ending, but otherwise I couldn't fault it. 

Really? I looked at what I wrote at the time, it seems I thought it was good first four episodes and then settled into some rut where doom kept following gloom.

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

I was bored stiff with The Terror pretty quickly.

Is the North Water a bit more engaging ?

1 hour ago, Elite said:

Yeah. It's great.

Definitely, it suffers from some of the same longueurs that The Terror had, where nothing much seems to happen, but to nowhere near the same extent. Thinking about it, The Terror tried too hard to fit in with the historical facts around the Polar mission, which stretched it out unnecessarily and the supernatural elements weren't enough to keep it going.

10 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Really don't get the love for Squid Game, great idea but it's got the worst acting of anything I've ever watched. Ever.

I watched the first episode last night and thought it was great. The acting is on par with most Korean films I’ve seen but there are a couple of sketchy ones in there. 

1 hour ago, JagSquared said:

I watched the first episode last night and thought it was great. The acting is on par with most Korean films I’ve seen but there are a couple of sketchy ones in there. 

I've loved the Korean films I've seen, so I can't agree with you mate.

The acting in Squid Game is right up there with Cross Roads, Emmerdale Farm and Bod.

• Downvote 1