You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

8 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

He was pure gash again. His current form combined with the contract dispute is comical.

He’s probably seen more gash at prayer than you’ve seen in your life 

Agreed on the contract situation. It should have been sorted months ago. 

If you look at his underlying numbers, he's actually playing fine. Just a bit of a bad run of finishing, which is more or less luck.

Look at it a different way - maybe Mo is clever enough to get all his bad finishing out of the way in games that don't really matter so he can score 10 goals in 14 games between now and the end of the season when his finishing reverts to the mean?

I think it’s the last percentage or two of total commitment that’s missing.  Not necessarily commitment to the cause itself, but commitment in the moment to the individual dribble, tackle, chase, decision, shot or sprint.  Is it a lack of confidence, contract playing on his mind, or some other distraction? Dunno, but it’s the strong impression I get watching him recently. 

• Upvote 1

I think he can sign the contract and do really well in the next couple of seasons. That said, and I know it's probably not that popular, but I think the smart move is to sell him for big bucks to somebody like PSG, then spend the money on somebody like Haaland who is going to be top for years and years (if he joins the right club). I think the same of Firmino and Mane too. 

I thought his general play was poor last night, but he still got two big chances - one he probably should have squared for Mane for a tap in, the second was just a decent save from the keeper, who also saved from Jota very late on.

7 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

If you look at his underlying numbers, he's actually playing fine. Just a bit of a bad run of finishing, which is more or less luck.

Which underlying numbers? Because if you watch the games with your eyes you'll see someone giving the ball away a lot and making terrible decisions. On top of the poor finishing. And it's really, really poor at the moment. It's not much of an exaggeration to say he could have had four or five against Benfica.

He was where moves went to die last night.

• Upvote 3

On current form, he shouldn't be starting against City. Even choosing three from Mane, Firmino, Jota and Diaz would be a dilemma at the moment, which shows how great our options are. 

I've hopefully reverse-jinxed him into a bit of magic on Sunday. 

At least this is happening now before he's signed the contract. I would have been more annoyed if we had given him a huge long term contract in January and then his form nosedived. Would have looked like he had stopped trying once he got what he wanted from the club. 

I love Mo. He's a fantastic player but I'm not sure what his (agents?) issue now.  He wants to be rewarded financially? Club seems to have agreed a salary.  He wants to know we're competetive?  League cup wom, FA Cup Semi to come, 3-1 up in CL QF & a point behind the leaders and current champions. Can't get much more competitive than that.  
Says he wants to stay at the club too. 

This is issue now affecting his performances. Either shit or get of the pot and let the club deal with whatever the outcome may be. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

If he's really not going to sign he needs to let the club know. Replacing him will require time, effort and a large slice of luck. If he ends up handing in a transfer request late in the summer it could severely impact our ability to prepare for the season. 

If he hands in a transfer request at the end of the summer FSG will tell him to fuck off as will the majority of the fans.

That AFCON shit has a lot to answer for as well as the contract nonsense. It’s a conundrum isn’t it? We know what he is capable of but he is clearly fucking gassed and not playing to the exceptionally high level he was at earlier this season. Do you drop him for any one of the perfectly able forwards we now have at our disposal? Or stick with him in the hope he conjures up some magic? Big decision for Klopp to make on Sunday.

• Upvote 2

Think he's suffering from a mixture of lack of confidence, burn out and losing twice to Senegal. He's not a robot and all of that is bound to have an effect. When you're a dribbler and have no confidence it can be a pretty dark place on a football pitch.

I wouldn't start him on Sunday but I think Klopp will. Let's just hope he trains well and rediscovers his touch and some belief in himself in the next few days but it's a long shot. Normally takes a while to turn around the poor form he's in.

11 minutes ago, Pete said:

Lucky bastard. Something for him to look forward to then. 

First belly laugh of the day. Quality. 

I said on the podcast last night that there isn't that much wrong with Mo. Just a couple of percent, which when you do what he does is everything. It feels a bit like his second season, when everything that had been coming off for him in the first just didn't. His touch wasn't quite as precise, his timing wasn't quite there and he wasn't getting the rub of the green.

Can't believe how negative some people on this thread are about this. He's defo scoring on Sunday and is gonna light the place up.

• Upvote 4