You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

If we are accusing Salah of being greedy, then the owners are also greedy. They didnt buy Liverpool out of pure love. They bought the club for 300m and would sell for at least 3 billion pounds. In fact, they are probably holding on because they believe they can get up to 5 billion if things go well over the next few years. They keep looking for ways to maximise revenue, same way Salah is looking to maximise what might be his final big contract.

The club has been great at getting in record deals for revenue. Giving Salah an increase wont completely destroy everything. By the time some of the other key players theoretically start demanding an increase, we would have a sponsorship deal for official cutlery or some shit, which cover wage increases.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Supremolad said:

His agent should simply blame it on the experts we have on here who were adamant he was wrong to have waited for the 5th penalty kick in the AFCON final. He goes first in the WC qualifiers and skies it, while Mane goes 5th and wins the game again. There simply is no guaranteed formula to these things in a shootout.

The criticism wasn't whether he'd score or not it was putting your best penalty takers in a position to take a penalty.

With 20% of penalty shootouts not making it to the 5th Penalty and, in some models, the 4th penalty having the lowest conversion rate it makes no sense to have one of your best penalty takers in the 5th spot.

17 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

The criticism wasn't whether he'd score or not it was putting your best penalty takers in a position to take a penalty.

With 20% of penalty shootouts not making it to the 5th Penalty and, in some models, the 4th penalty having the lowest conversion rate it makes no sense to have one of your best penalty takers in the 5th spot.

Hmmm, was Sadio Senegal's best spot kick taker or the 5th best? Twice?

Just being devil's advocate!

3 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Why? He’d have honoured his contract. 

True - be within his rights but he is certainly well aware of the economics involved for the club. There are only a few clubs right now who could raise whatever offer we have made, especially abroad. If he was to moot a move that would see a substantial fee from say Real or PSG only to sign with them 12 months later on a free you would be ok with it?

Or, worst case he stays in England and plays for an oil club?

6 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

True - be within his rights but he is certainly well aware of the economics involved for the club. There are only a few clubs right now who could raise whatever offer we have made, especially abroad. If he was to moot a move that would see a substantial fee from say Real or PSG only to sign with them 12 months later on a free you would be ok with it?

Or, worst case he stays in England and plays for an oil club?

I’ll reply to this post in full. But answer me this first.

If the consensus is Mo is being greedy by refusing our offer and wanting more money, why the fuck would he go this summer instead of next summer on a free where he’d make

considerably more on his next contract? 

12 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

If the consensus is Mo is being greedy by refusing our offer and wanting more money, why the fuck would he go this summer instead of next summer on a free where he’d make

I never said he was being greedy. His agent is a tosser though and probably has not helped.

I think Mo understands that we have already offered the largest contract in the history of the club. He can only make more at a select few other clubs - he will know that as well - and who they are, the majority of which are based in England.

He may very well choose the route Gini did.

1 hour ago, TD_LFC said:

InStat studied over 100,000 shots in thousands of penalty shootouts. The chance of missing the 5th kick is higher than the first. So statistically speaking, it's better to put your best kicker on the 5th instead of the 1st.

The argument I recall people making here in February was that Salah should have taken the first kick in the AFCON final. However, he has taken 5th kicks for Egypt and Liverpool (multiple times) and scored. On Tuesday he goes to take the 1st kick and misses. At the end of the day, there isnt any set formula.

Screenshot_20220206-224240_Chrome.jpg

3 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Not sure if you've worked out yet that only Man City and PSG can afford him, but also he's had a shit 3 months of form and is overdue an injury.  

I'd sell him for anything over £100m, all paid up front.  I don't want some 4 year payment plan for £140m. 

Our cash then makes other signings cheaper and quicker.  

"Shit 3 months of form". Interesting take. So we are including the 6 weeks he was away with an atrocious Egypt side which he dragged to an unmerited AFCON final.

So we are ignoring some of his great performances in some matches since he came back from AFCON. And we are meant to lump in a few average games into the mix and come to the conclusion that he has had a "shit 3 months of form". Nice.

1 hour ago, lifetime fan said:

I don't think it would make any difference to PSG or Man City whether they paid 100 million quid for him or if they got him on a free - they're still giving him 600 grand a week. 

It would make a difference for someone like Real Madrid or Juventus though, who could also be potential suitors.  Although Real don't really need him with Vinicius there.

10 minutes ago, Supremolad said:

"Shit 3 months of form". Interesting take. So we are including the 6 weeks he was away with an atrocious Egypt side which he dragged to an unmerited AFCON final.

So we are ignoring some of his great performances in some matches since he came back from AFCON. And we are meant to lump in a few average games into the mix and come to the conclusion that he has had a "shit 3 months of form". Nice.

I get that he looks like he is going, so people want to rationalise it, but the 180 on Salah the past few weeks is astonishing.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Juventus 

Yea, maybe on a free at 400k.

If we have offered 325-350k - which all reports point to - there are maybe 3 realistic teams in the mix for this summer.

PSG

Real

Bayern

If he wants to wait it out and go rogue - next summer

City

United

Chelsea

Newcastle

PSG

Real

Bayern

He is absolutely boss and is a massive part of why we are currently where we are as a club.

But nobody is bigger than the club and IF he turns down what we have offered and IF he leaves, then just like every other player who has ever left the club he will be replaced/the team will be retooled and we'll move on.

The good thing about where we are now and about the people in charge of the team is that we can genuinely trust them to get things right when it comes to what we do IF he leaves.

On 30/03/2022 at 19:58, lifetime fan said:

That has fuck all to do with his religion mate. 

It depends how you view Muslims,I suppose.

I have always admired the way they(Muslim Sportsmen in general) tend not to drink,attend their church/temple services and all seem to chip into the local community while a good few shun Western excesses in general and devote themselves to whichever job they have. Mo and Sadio seem very much these types of lads. I'd like to think it isn't all about the cash provided they get their going rate as professionals. Even lads like these tend to just leave it to their advisors even if they are making them look bad as individuals. I hope Mo stays but it looks unlikely and I wont be that pissed off with the owners if Mo's team are asking more than they feel they can give.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, John102 said:

I get that he looks like he is going, so people want to rationalise it, but the 180 on Salah the past few weeks is astonishing.

He's scored 3 goals from open play in the last 3 months. By his standard thats a slump.  He doesn't look composed, the contract thing likely weighing on his mind, but I'm also intrigued by the thought that Mane has twice recently dunked on him, and maybe that relationship has deteriorated a little.  

14 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

He's scored 3 goals from open play in the last 3 months. By his standard thats a slump.  He doesn't look composed, the contract thing likely weighing on his mind, but I'm also intrigued by the thought that Mane has twice recently dunked on him, and maybe that relationship has deteriorated a little.  

Take his pace goals out too, it'll make him look even worse.

Regardless of how this season ends the club are going to make a shit load of money this year. That will cover his replacement, we don't need to sell him to fund his replacement. I'd prefer another year rather than 80m.

He won't get the same support from the fanbase of any other club, and he's highly unlikely to be used in a way that suits his attributes so perfectly by any other manager.  

These are unlikely to be points that his agent will be making to him, though. 

To be honest, I was pretty certain in the early stages of the 2019/20 season that at least one of Salah or Mane would move on after what was already clearly a procession to the title. Covid shrinking the market was probably of benefit to us. 

I think this endless analysis of penalty shootouts in different continents means people are really fucking missing football.

There’s really not much more to say on Salah. Nobody is bigger than the club, apart from maybe Luke Shaw. Having ‘the biggest contract in the clubs history’ only really means the best paid current player as wages always go up year on year and higher than inflation.

The clubs will have endless amounts of data on how wages increase in line with the increase in tv deals, and how new contracts internally impact future negotiations. 

They'll also have a decent grasp on what sponsorship deals are ending and the market value of what they can get as replacements over the next few years.

If offering Salah X means that future expenditure will then equal Y then, unless future income is projected to cover it Salah won't get what he wants.