You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Stoke City - Home - 17th Aug

Alex Gibbo

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest San Don
FIFA 2013 set - i take it that is anyone who reads your rambling incoherent nonsense and thinks 'this guy is full of shit'

Nail on head!

Toure was class today. I watched him run from the Kop back to goal when Stoke were trying to go down the other end, and I didn't think he'd have the legs left. Along with Lucas' clearance and Mignolet's double pen/rebound save today, Kolo bombing forward, his header off the bar and his overall fight for every ball was outstanding.

I couldn't see it at the time, but just saw on youtube Nzonzi giving Lucas a whack in the head after Nzonzi and Coutinho were facing off. How come he was still on the pitch after that?

I couldn't see it at the time, but just saw on youtube Nzonzi giving Lucas a whack in the head after Nzonzi and Coutinho were facing off. How come he was still on the pitch after that?

If Atkinson can ignore one of the worst challenges of the past 5 years

( Pienaar on Mascherano ) then he can certainly avoid any action on Nzonzi no matter how blatant.

Way too early to say that Mignolet is better than Reina. Before the save in the second half he was all over the place. We would be talking very differently if Huth had buried that shot in the first half.

For the moment that can be put down to nerves and the penalty double save shows that he has something about him.

FIFA 2013 set - i take it that is anyone who reads your rambling incoherent nonsense and thinks 'this guy is full of shit'

No, it is a rather more exclusive set of the limited and bewildered of which you are undoubtedly a member;)

Stoke's move to the Britannia has provided a platform for their best league sequence for thirtyfive years- fact (rambling, incoherent:whatever:).

(oops, that was before Playstation!):P

On topic ( a game played on the pitch, not on the screen, which I was at), an encouraging performance, and result.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

After all the chat about the keeper, we've not really given this the credit it deserves. Some left foot on the boy.

9530816894_0de60befe4_o.gif

Funny thing is that's actually shit keeping. If he pushed off his left foot, he might well have got to it.

On the last few season's evidence, Walters' first half shot wouldn't have been saved and neither would the penalty. Clearly Mignolet needs to catch rather than swat crosses and get smarter on his feet, but I don't remember the last time a goalkeeper genuinely kept us in the match with vital saves like today.

Toure was a huge improvement on last season's Skrtel too and Aspas showed more in the first half than Borini did all last season.

Still, the inability to convert chances almost did for us again today, but our suspended number 7 is usually the difference there.

And Bergovic really should be playing with a bigger club.

What the fuck is it with twats like you? Are we gonna have a pop at a man who has served our club magnificently over the years every time our new keeper makes a save? Anyway, heres a video of reina making world class saves last season. Theres even a penalty save in there.

[YOUTUBE]TdcQkOuMfmc[/YOUTUBE]

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Is there really any doubt that Mignolet is a better shot stopper than Reina? I mean, other than statistically being better at stopping shots, and physically coving the goal better, is there much doubt? It's as silly to claim that as it would be to claim Mignolet is better with his feet.

After all the chat about the keeper, we've not really given this the credit it deserves. Some left foot on the boy.

9530816894_0de60befe4_o.gif

Funny thing is that's actually shit keeping. If he pushed off his left foot, he might well have got to it.

I like the way he just stood there, knowing it was going in.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I like the way he just stood there, knowing it was going in.

We passed the ball very well in the lead up to that goal. It wasn't so much triangles as a square.

Is there really any doubt that Mignolet is a better shot stopper than Reina? I mean, other than statistically being better at stopping shots, and physically coving the goal better, is there much doubt? It's as silly to claim that as it would be to claim Mignolet is better with his feet.

Time will tell.

I am certain that we will not do worse as a result of having Mignolet, and a clean sheet, before a home crowd, coupled with a penalty save, is a very good start.

From despair to elation in a matter of minutes, that's what football is all about. Thought pretty much everyone played well, but Toure and Lucas stood out. With Aspas also showing some quality on his debut. Loved how elated the team was for both Sturridge's goal and Mingolet's double save.

One thing I did find myself thinking during the game though, was how great it would be to have someone like Xabi in that team (or a team with a Suarez and Willian even!) but I do like both Henderson and Allen and the former didn't have a bad game by any means, Alonso would just be ace in our team right. I think in time Allen will grow into a fine player and have much more influence on games, but a player of Xabi's ilk would have me feeling 4th could very well be reachable. A foursome of Suarez, Sturridge, Coutinho and Willian would be something to get excited about mind you.

One more thing, fuck of Stoke. You're shite and I hope this is your last season in the Premier League until you do away with such thuggery and shit football. Begovic is a quality keeper mind and N'Zoni, while a twat, looks decent. Funny how he got away with raising his hands twice mind. I'd had a few by this point but it seemed to me the commentary team were suggesting he should be let off because it's the first game of the season. Oh well, let's just ignore the rules because it would be a blemish on a good opening game to the season ey?

Slightly off topic, reading xerxes faux take on things. Axiomatic, there are kids around here who wouldn’t know the meaning of that but they would be vastly better supporters to the likes of fella that posted it, and in the coming years the club will pay.

Read a bit tonight about the support, people walking out when the pen got given, although to be fair it seemed not bad on the telly. I don’t go now, can’t afford it. Just thinking, If we could split the kop say, supporters from now, with supporters from the eighties. I reckon our eighties lads would put the current to shame.

Slightly off topic, reading xerxes faux take on things. Axiomatic, there are kids around here who wouldn’t know the meaning of that but they would be vastly better supporters to the likes of fella that posted it, and in the coming years the club will pay.

Read a bit tonight about the support, people walking out when the pen got given, although to be fair it seemed not bad on the telly. I don’t go now, can’t afford it. Just thinking, If we could split the kop say, supporters from now, with supporters from the eighties. I reckon our eighties lads would put the current to shame.

People always leave early to beat the crowds at final whistle. Could take 10-20 mins to get out after final whistle.

The ones around me all left early regardless of the score and they were all season ticket holders. Some local some not.