You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Stoke City - Home - 17th Aug

Alex Gibbo

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the last few season's evidence, Walters' first half shot wouldn't have been saved and neither would the penalty. Clearly Mignolet needs to catch rather than swat crosses and get smarter on his feet, but I don't remember the last time a goalkeeper genuinely kept us in the match with vital saves like today.

Toure was a huge improvement on last season's Skrtel too and Aspas showed more in the first half than Borini did all last season.

Still, the inability to convert chances almost did for us again today, but our suspended number 7 is usually the difference there.

And Bergovic really should be playing with a bigger club.

Arsenal? He would improve them so hope not.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I was really impressed with our forward play today. We took them apart.

Yep. No problem breaking their defence down and creating the chance. Need to keep working on finishing. Get Fowler in to help players like Aspas do the right thing at the right time.

Apparently Begovic broke his own record for the number of saves today.

With each missed chance in the second half i became more convinced they would end up nicking a draw and the suckerpunch seemed to have come right at the end with the penalty. But a great double save from Mignolet and it felt really important that we got off to a good start this season so that could prove to be oneof the biggest moments of our season.

Lots of positives & a few negatives.

I think we will have to accept that if we are attacking with lots of small, nippy interchanging forwards we are sometimes going to be out-muscled in other parts of the pitch at times & set-pieces are likely to be a season-long rollercoaster ride.

Impressed with Kolo's aggression & hope it rubs off on Daniel & he can be a bit of a wuss for a central defender.

Onward & upward.

Thank fuck for that, Mignolet already earned us more points than Reina last season, once he settles in he'll be immense for us.

Begovic is some keeper and the one i wanted out of him and Mig but im not complaining, fuck knows why a big team hasn't picked up Begovic.

He shouldn't be at a club like Stoke, he deserves to be playing for one of the top teams. Hope someone picks him up in Jan.

For the most part we played really well. Defensively we looked a bit weak but Stoke didn't have enough to take advantage. A good start to the season and I think we will get stronger providing we stay clear of injuries. Coutinho will be our key man this season.

Well played Reds.

The result was the main thing but the performance was pretty good too, I don`t think I`ve seen us open up Stoke so much as we did today which is great but we really need to find our shooting boots as it was much to close for comfort.

Fantastic double save from Mignolet, he looks a great shot stopper and it`s been a while since we`ve had that.

2pts from 5 games last season, 3 from 1 this. Onwards and upwards bring on the Villa!

Personally, I didn't think much of our end of season run. There was nothing to play for and, to me, as impressive as our performances and results were, I wanted to know why when 4th place, or the league cup, or the F.A cup, or Uefa cup qualification was in the air we weren't able to produce the goods, as proper Liverpool teams did.

Today's game mattered and we put in a damn good performance. I thought Coutinho, Agger and Lucas were very good, personally.

That ended up being nerve wracking and it shouldn't have.

We played really well.

Thought Lucas looked sharp, quick into the tackle. Aspas never kept still, loads of movement.

Toure was very good, constantly talking, encouraging. He wont be bullied.

Coutinho is absolute class. He was the only person in the ground who saw the pass to Henderson.

Lets keep it going